Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Water spots?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 04:30 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update:

Well, I washed and clayed the car until it was silky smooth all over. I then borrowed a friends Porter Cable 7424 with the hopes of buffing out the water spots. The spots are especially apparent on the trunk lid. So I tackled that. I used a decent cutting agent, 3M Perfect It something.... with a yellow foam pad and then buffed the lid a couple of times. I then finished it off with a Meguiar's professional Glaze product. Result? Exactly the same as before. I'm real disappointed. I don't dare use anything with more cutting power on my 24,000 mile car. So far, i'm quite disappointed with BMW's paint. I have owned Acuras and Hondas for years that don't even have this phenomenon on the paint at 160K!! Not to mention the fact that I baby this BMW. It is ALWAYS garage kept and washed weekly, in the shade, very meticulously. It is also only driven on the weekends. I really don't know how these water spots keep accumulating. I guess i'm just going to have to live with them. I might also add that I can not feel any etching in the paint when running my finger nails across the spots. It seems like they are underneath the clear coat, which is weird.

I ended up not using the PC on the rest of the car. I just used Klasse AIO then a good layer of Carnuba wax.

I live in Jacksonville, FL and I don't think that is a likely place for acid rain, either....I hardly ever drive the car in the rain, at least intentionally, ever!!

Is there any kind of warranty claim I have on my hands here?

What a dissappointment in a $52,000 car. This problem compounded with 20 other small problems with the car make me want to dump it and go buy a Lexus GS300...... I've owned this car for a year and I **don't** see the big deal in BMWs. I personally think Japanese cars are of much better quality and durability. This will be the last BMW I buy.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i JETBLACK/BLACK DAKOTA, COLD WEATHER PKG, PREMIUM PKG, ADAPTIVE XENON HEADLIGHTS, AUTO TRANSMISSION WITH 6 SPEED STEPTRONIC, BLUETOOTH SETUP,SAT SETUP AND WIFE AS CO-PILOT

i agree that the paint isn the greatest... i do have some water spots on the car.... it must be some deep spots on the car for it to be noticable on your color car..... as for mine i am able to get the spots off with the cleaner wax... and found that the meguires gold clas... gives an brilliant wet shine...on a jet black..... i hope you find something that would help. eric
Old 07-18-2005, 07:22 AM
Senior Members

Have you tried Meguiar's Scratch X.

I have seen a lot of people on the Meguiar's forum remove water spots with this product & I got out some nasty clear coat scratches with it as well.

See the thread below:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=13309&hl=wife
Old 09-28-2005, 09:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i Mystic Blue, Beige Leather, Sport, Premium, Prem Sound, Xenon, Nav, Steptronic, Power Shade

I tried meguiar's scratch X -- it did not change a thing in regards to the water spots left on my trunk lid.
still need a better solution.
(thanks to the valets at burbank airport!)

charley

Originally Posted by BMW#5' date='Jul 18 2005, 10:22 AM
Have you tried Meguiar's Scratch X.

I have seen a lot of people on the Meguiar's forum remove water spots with this product & I got out some nasty clear coat scratches with it as well.

See the thread below:

[snapback]150279[/snapback]
Old 09-29-2005, 10:58 AM
Senior Members

Sorry to hear that. They must be some mean water spots.

Originally Posted by rlinger' date='Sep 29 2005, 07:20 AM
I tried meguiar's scratch X -- it did not change a thing in regards to the water spots left on my trunk lid.
still need a better solution.
(thanks to the valets at burbank airport!)?

charley

[quote name='BMW#5' date='Jul 18 2005, 10:22 AM']Have you tried Meguiar's Scratch X.

See the thread below:

[snapback]150279[/snapback]
[snapback]176745[/snapback]
[/quote]
Old 10-01-2005, 05:20 PM
Members

Originally Posted by acribb' date='Jul 17 2005, 07:30 PM
Update:

Well, I washed and clayed the car until it was silky smooth all over.? I then borrowed a friends Porter Cable 7424 with the hopes of buffing out the water spots.? The spots are especially apparent on the trunk lid.? So I tackled that.? I used a decent cutting agent, 3M Perfect It something.... with a yellow foam pad and then buffed the lid a couple of times.? I then finished it off with a Meguiar's professional Glaze product.? Result?? Exactly the same as before.? I'm real disappointed.? I don't dare use anything with more cutting power on my 24,000 mile car.? So far, i'm quite disappointed with BMW's paint.? I have owned Acuras and Hondas for years that don't even have this phenomenon on the paint at 160K!!? Not to mention the fact that I baby this BMW.? It is ALWAYS garage kept and washed weekly, in the shade, very meticulously.? It is also only driven on the weekends.? I really don't know how these water spots keep accumulating.? I guess i'm just going to have to live with them.? I might also add that I can not feel any etching in the paint when running my finger nails across the spots.? It seems like they are underneath the clear coat, which is weird.

I ended up not using the PC on the rest of the car.? I just used Klasse AIO then a good layer of Carnuba wax.

I live in Jacksonville, FL and I don't think that is a likely place for acid rain, either....I hardly ever drive the car in the rain, at least intentionally, ever!!

Is there any kind of warranty claim I have on my hands here?

What a dissappointment in a $52,000 car.? This problem compounded with 20 other small problems with the car make me want to dump it and go buy a Lexus GS300......? I've owned this car for a year and I **don't** see the big deal in BMWs.? I personally think Japanese cars are of much better quality and durability.? This will be the last BMW I buy.
[snapback]150126[/snapback]
I have a 06 525i (orient blue). I have had my car for a month and it has been back to the dealer 3 times for the paint. I first noticed small whitish spots that did not rub out. They were on the hood and truck lid and parts of the doors. The dealer clayed the car and was able to remove some of the spots. But now the paint is chipping off like crazy. I have an appointment with a BMW NA rep in Oct to make a desicion on the car. I told them I wanted a new car because the paint is oviously defective and seeing that I have had the car for only a month. I told them respraying the car will greatly reduce the value. They disagreed so I told them then they wouldn't have a problem reselling it themselves. They couldn't come back at that. Also thay have reprogramed my computer for every clich ever posted on this site and my idrive still isn't working right.

BMW paint sucks!
Old 10-03-2005, 09:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by ULtraPLanet' date='Oct 5 2004, 11:06 PM
More than you ever wanted to know.....

http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=15

They push the products they sell but it is still good information.
[snapback]41689[/snapback]
COOL thanks...