Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Water spots?

Old 10-05-2004, 12:36 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just finished using Klasse AIO and Klasse SG and notice, at a certain angle, what appear to be water spots all over the surface? They look like little 1cm 'rings' all over the hood, roof, and trunk it seems. Again, you can only see them when at that certain angle, but they are bugging the heck out of me. Did I not rub hard enough with the Klasse AIO? How do you remove them?

Keep in mind the car finish does look like glass now with the Klasse products. They are very nice.

Thanks for any tips!
Old 10-05-2004, 05:45 PM
Senior Members

You can use what is known as a pre-wax cleaner. If you search the web, you'll find lots of references for products.

Maybe some of the members have some specific recommendations.

You can also have the dealer examine your paint to determine if there is a manufacturing defect.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:06 PM
Contributors

More than you ever wanted to know.....

http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=15

They push the products they sell but it is still good information.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 525i

nice link
Old 02-15-2005, 07:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 320i, M3 paddle shift, Sat Nav

Originally Posted by acribb' date='Oct 6 2004, 04:36 AM
I have just finished using Klasse AIO and Klasse SG and notice, at a certain angle, what appear to be water spots all over the surface?? They look like little 1cm 'rings' all over the hood, roof, and trunk it seems.? Again, you can only see them when at that certain angle, but they are bugging the heck out of me.? Did I not rub hard enough with the Klasse AIO?? How do you remove them?

Keep in mind the car finish does look like glass now with the Klasse products.? They are very nice.

Thanks for any tips!
[snapback]41567[/snapback]
The water spots are probably there even before you applied Klasse. AIO is abrasive cleaner 'mild' so you could't rub too hard. Even if you did you won't rub one by one either.

Honestly water spots are caused by sun's rays that shines through the droplets on the paintwork which results in water spots. They are 'magnified' into the clear coat. Claybar and slightly abrasive hand polish might work but a PC might work better. However if the water marks are quite deep, you're better off respraying that panel.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:48 AM
Members

Originally Posted by russo' date='Feb 15 2005, 10:05 AM
[quote name='acribb' date='Oct 6 2004, 04:36 AM']I have just finished using Klasse AIO and Klasse SG and notice, at a certain angle, what appear to be water spots all over the surface?? They look like little 1cm 'rings' all over the hood, roof, and trunk it seems.? Again, you can only see them when at that certain angle, but they are bugging the heck out of me.? Did I not rub hard enough with the Klasse AIO?? How do you remove them?

Keep in mind the car finish does look like glass now with the Klasse products.? They are very nice.

Thanks for any tips!
[snapback]41567[/snapback]
The water spots are probably there even before you applied Klasse. AIO is abrasive cleaner 'mild' so you could't rub too hard. Even if you did you won't rub one by one either.

Honestly water spots are caused by sun's rays that shines through the droplets on the paintwork which results in water spots. They are 'magnified' into the clear coat. Claybar and slightly abrasive hand polish might work but a PC might work better. However if the water marks are quite deep, you're better off respraying that panel.
[snapback]90404[/snapback]
[/quote]

Actually AIO is abrasive free......The chemical reaction probably removed the majority of spotting, but your going to need an abrasive cleaner and clay combo to remove the minerals that are built up on the clear coat. Hopefully it hasnt etched into the clear! Do not attempt to cleam with a cleaner/wax, as those usually contain chemical cleaners in them anyway, go straight to a polish. Look for some Megs #80, its mild, and a diminishing abrasive. Dont use circles when applying. You can also try usingstraight vinegar. It contains an acid which will dissolve the lime and other trace minerals in your water. Get a spray bottle, and paper towel. Lightly mist the area of concern, and apply an appropriate size of paper towel, enough to cover the spot and vinegar. Lightly mist again, let sit for 20 min. Keep the area wet with vinegar for that time. Wipe with Microfiber towel, then reapply AIO, and Sg. Sorry, the vinegar will remove your protection....
Old 02-17-2005, 12:04 PM
Senior Members

Thanks for the tips..... /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Old 03-04-2005, 11:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

In my experience, it's the act of letting the soap dry while you're washing that leaves the most spotting. My current car, which I've had for nearly 5 years has zero water spots which I firmly believe is the result of my washing technique. I only soap one body panel at a time, and rinse several times as I go, taking care not to allow any soaped area to dry even the littlest bit. It takes forever to wash the car, but the end result is superb.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:54 PM
Senior Members

Vinegar didn't work. Is Meguiar's Speed Glaze, applied by hand, ok to use? The spots are very mild, you can only see them in artificial lighting (not in sunlight), at a certain angle, but they are annoying nonetheless. I'm also now seeing mild swirl marks in sunlight at certain angles as well. The car has 20K miles on it. I want perfect paint, but would rather do this myself for my own satisfaction then take it to a detailer that uses dirty pads and what not. Thanks for any advice....
Old 05-03-2005, 04:22 PM
Members

How about Pinnacle Body Cleanser? see www.autogeek.net I have some but have not used it yet, so no personal experience with it. I do love Pinnacle though and I bet it will work.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Water spots?