Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Unsightly stains

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004 | 02:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

Yeah i get those stains also, not hard to clean at all but wonder where they come from seem oily or grimmy, not just a water stain
Old 08-21-2004 | 04:34 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 555' date='Aug 20 2004, 11:00 AM
Any of you see an oily substance run off from the trunk area? It was a hot day here recently and there was this trickle of oily sunstance coming out from the trunk latch. It was strange. It wiped off, but it seemed to be caused by the heat or something.
I have those sticky substance too!

IMHO, this could be the anti-rust substance that coats the interior, prevents rust from inside out.
Old 08-22-2004 | 09:15 PM
Contributors

Again, do other body styles have this problem? I don't think so, or else I would have seen it. Disagree? :'(

Secondly, the point of starting of the 'stains' seems aligned with the front of the rubber (?) weatherstip on the underside of the door. I noted that it isn't a single wrap-around structure. Could there be some material comming from there and mixing with road dirt (+brake dust) to make it stickier? Like the rust-proofer mentioned above? Is it dark from tire dust and only stains with a certain tire? (I have Portenzas RF.) It may the tires because the stain is on the rear door as well and further away from the front wheel but less intense.

Does everyone have this problem but not find it important enough to comment here? The stains are there the many times I have washed the car and have not slowed down. Wax only makes it easier to clean. It doesn't seem to prevent it. Is it weather related (besides showing up after rain), meaning regional ? I am in SE US.

I am not satisfied with the solution of just puting wax on the paint and cleaning after each rain. I should not have to do such maintenance with such an expensive car. I am glad to clean and wax to protect the investment and show off the car, but I never saw such stains before on any other car I owned. Brake dust is more tolerable to me because it (probably) results from a formulation that provides the best performance.
Old 08-30-2004 | 09:29 PM
Contributors

Angry

OK, it looks like nobody knows about these stains.
I took pictures of the stains that developed after only 1 day of rain. This one is from the rear door. I have had it much worse and it was difficult to remove them at first.
Attached Thumbnails Unsightly stains-streaks_5s.jpg  
Old 08-30-2004 | 09:32 PM
Contributors

Angry

The stains show up in the same place every time. Here is the one from the front door on the passenger side. (I get 4 stain trails every time.)
Any answers to the questions I raised above?
Attached Thumbnails Unsightly stains-streaks_1s.jpg  
Old 08-30-2004 | 09:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I have the same stains but mine are more wide. Where yours is about 1 cm wide mine are 5cms wide and look the same. I have them at the A pillar and B pillar at the underside of the car in the same spot you have. I think it is the grease they use on the doorhinges that comes of when it's raining. I've had it with a Seat before and it went away after a while because the grease was going of the doorhinges.
Old 08-30-2004 | 09:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

I get them too but they clean up pretty easilly with regular washing. Sometimes I'll use Zymol Field Glaze if I don't have time to wash the whole car.
Old 08-31-2004 | 05:06 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by sg530' date='Aug 31 2004, 12:29 AM
OK, it looks like nobody knows about these stains.
I took pictures of the stains that developed after only 1 day of rain. This one is from the rear door. I have had it much worse and it was difficult to remove them at first.
Ah, those stains. That is reminiscent of the stains on my '97 540-6. At that time, the dealer told me that this was a lubricant that BMW used on the doors and that it would go away in time. Those stains were most prominent below the front door hinges. They didn't tell me that time for the stains to go away would be years and years. <_< I think I removed them with bug and tar spray and waxed over every time.

So far, I have been spared those stains with the E60. But since it is garaged a lot, most of the water it has seen has been out of a hose.
Old 08-31-2004 | 05:23 AM
Senior Members

530e60nl and jdn hit the problem on the head. It is exactly from the grease used for the door hinges. It is annoying, but a needed evil to keep the hinges in good working order. The problem with it is that some of it flows down when wet. When it stops flowing down, it probably is time to get the hinges greased again, unfortunately. Maybe someday they'll make a lubricant that won't move from where it is put.
Old 08-31-2004 | 07:28 PM
Contributors

Thank you. Finally the source of the problem and it is not unique to E60.
Now explain how grease and water mix? And if it is grease, then the stains could be regional-more stains where it is hot since grease will flow more.

If it is hinge grease, then a pad or plastic barrier under the hinge could cut the path of excess grease?

Wax has a chemical affinity for grease, so I don't think waxing will make cleanup easier.

Quick Reply: Unsightly stains