Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Which tyre black do you guys use????

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 11:04 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '89 BMW E34 525i M20

Unfortunately, most of the long lasting tire shine products are petroleum distillates, which melt the outer layer of the rubber. Although people may gripe about this, in reality the damage is so minute that the tire will wear out long before this would have an effect. Back to the point, though - anything with petroleum distillates will destroy your pads, and only a select few specific cleaners will remove this nasty rubber petroleum sludge that will end up on your beloved wash mitts and sponges.

If you have this problem, soak the sponge in some Dawn Power Dissolver, agitate, let sit for a half hour, rinse, dry a tad bit and repeat on areas that remain soiled. It's the only product that I have found to be able to remove this tire dressing petroleum/rubber sludge. It can be found at Wal Mart, and recently I found it at QFC. So far those are the only 2 places I've ever seen it sold other than online.

I've heard great things about Adams VRT, although never tried it myself so I can't tell you the composition or some specifics about it. Personally, I use 303 Aerospace on the tires, but it will wash off easily. I like it because it's not too glossy, won't sling, and won't contaminate the wheel, tires, paint, and your wash sponges.

Seems to be a gamble between the petroleum products, (some sling, some don't) that have excellent resiliency and don't fade or wash away quickly at all. Compared to prety much everything else that is cleaner, much more manageable, but not as long lasting in the weather.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:24 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

picked up a can of wet spray foam from meguiars and used it yesterday morning. id recommend it
Old 06-07-2008, 09:42 PM
Members

My Ride: '89 BMW E34 525i M20

Forgot to mention that the Stoners Tire Shine contains no petroleum distillates, but has similar longevity as the gentle protectants like 303. It's between the two for me.

Stoners does give you a shiner look, which some like, but others dislike. Also, it's easier to find than 303 because with 303 you've got to go to a boat/marine shop to find it.

One important note though: I do believe that the Stoners Tire Shine contains silicone, hence the longevity, which is almost as much of a nuisance as petroleum distillates. Understand why I choose 303? Particularly the environment I'm working in, where paint correction cannot be interfered with by silicone/petroleum contamination.

Up to you, as they both work great, and I recommend both equally.