Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Is it true??

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 08:10 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

According to a recent Griot's ad, they state you can't burn through the paint with their detailing product solution combined with their orbital. Is this really true? You always hear horror stories of people that burn through their paint with an orbital machine because they don't know how to use it properly.

For the novice detailers out there that are sick of doing it by hand, this sounds like a good introduction when it comes to new, quick, easy ways to detail your car. Too good to be true? Should I just pay the extra money and have it professionally done?
Old 09-08-2006, 05:09 PM
Members

I saw that write up in the Groit's catalog and would like to know about this as well. Does anybody out there use an orbital buffer? I would be very nervous about applying wax on my car using this method but would consider it if I knew more about it; I have alway applied wax by hand. What am I missing..................
Old 09-09-2006, 10:55 PM
Senior Members

Orbital buffers are generally very safe to use because of their 'semi-random' motion. I think the risk is much higher with rotary buffers.

Edit. I use an orbital buffer to polish & wax the car. Very easy to use.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i Jet Black on Grey Interior--- Tint: Sides 20% Rear Windshield 5% Front Windshield 35% Wheels: Zenetti Five's 20" by 8.5(front) 20" by 10(rear)-- Tires: Pirelli Asimmetrico 245/35/20(front) 285/30/20(rear)-- Body: Hamann Full Front Spoiler, Rieger Side Skirts, Rieger Rear Apron, AC Schnitzer Trunk Wing Interior: AC Schnitzer Pedal Set and E-Break Springs: H&R Sport Springs-- Audio: 2 12" Kicker L7's with a Rockford Fosgate 1501bd Amp With Custom Trunk Enclosure SOON TO COME: -M5 Mirrors -M5 Trunk Finsher -Brembo GT Big Brake Kit -Hamann 6 Series Front Spliter Molded -Hamann Roof Wing -Full Custom Sound System with TV's

You basically can't burn the paint with an orbital buffer unless u keep it in the same position at max speed for 5 min lol but its rotary buffers that can damage paint. orbital buffers don't fully spin like rotary ones. the spining adds alot of heat thus makeing it easier to burn the paint