Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Sprayed with asphalt glue/tar

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 09:09 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today I somehow found myself in the middle of a road that obviously should have been closed. Asphalt works were going on, but there were no signs, and it was impossible to tell whether or not the machines stationed nearby had been laying any asphalt recently - all until I hit an area covered with some sort of black glue or tar. The 'catastrophy' was inevitable, and this was the result. Luckily, most of it came off using a tar/asphalt solvent.
Attached Thumbnails Sprayed with asphalt glue/tar-img_0049.jpg  
Old 06-21-2004, 09:28 AM
JDN
Contributors

Splash guards would not have helped you. I picked up some on every leg of my trip, even with the guards, but nothing like you have there. When soft, it comes off easily. I am currently using Rejex to take it off so I have a protected surface when I get through.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:40 AM
Members

Hi Paasan,

Sorry to see your mess. I can recommend Autoglyms Tar and spot remover. It works a treat, but you will need to re polish/wax after you use it. The rest of the Autoglym range can be ignored.

Cheers,

Malc.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:29 AM
Senior Members

I used a tar remover of another brand.. however I've recently bought Autoglum Super Resin Polish for the BMW

Hopefully this polish will provide a good result..
How come you not be satisfied with other products than their tar remover?
The car has never been waxed before. I've only used shampoos containing some sort of wax. The result has been good and has so far left a clean very shiny surface. I'll probably wax our car anytime soon using the Super Resin Polish.

The only wax I've used is Turtle Wax for metallic paints on my mother's VW Polo. In spite of a low quality paint, the result was good. However, the wax required a little too much work, and it's reputation is seemingly not as good as that of Autoglym.

-paasan
Old 06-21-2004, 10:55 AM
Senior Members

paasan......try using Meguiars Gold Class polish,I use this with very good resuts.
Have a look hear !

meguiars
Old 06-21-2004, 11:30 AM
Members

Paasan,

If you are a car care perfectionist, then head out to www.griotsgarage.com, there Oil and Great Cleaner works wonders on any oil or grease based problem, including tar and asefalt. The only thing it dosn' tlike is bugs, for which I second the recomendation of Meguiars - though the bug and tar remover for me.

I use all the Griots producs, they know there stuff. A bit pricey, but very very good.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:19 AM
Senior Members

Look here for the best and cheapest polishing cloths. They also sell used cloths(diapers) if you call them.

Speaking of Griots, their Speed Shine Quick Detailier is one of the most reasonable priced( especially by the gallon).

If you want to try some auto polish/wax that will blow you away<---click here. This is "Solar Polish" that can be applied in direct sun up to 95f and will make your ride glow and be smoother than when you picked it up brand new.

Also checkout these ultrafine, concours, suede like mircrofiber towels. They are at least 2-3 times as soft as what you're using now.

Checkout this Cal Waterblade and MF towel for $10. It's a great deal and works great. Checkout their other deals on MF towels.

Here's a link to a great powerful portable vacuum that works well for your interior or your shop.

Note: I have no interest (financial or otherwise) in any of the above mentioned products.