5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   Detailing Forum (https://5series.net/forums/detailing-forum-15/)
-   -   SP wheels going through a car wash (https://5series.net/forums/detailing-forum-15/sp-wheels-going-through-car-wash-1394/)

pennetta 06-20-2004 05:50 PM

I was at Shinnecock for the US Open this morning and rushed back for an extended family fathers day party at my house. My car was filthy because they parked us on a field. I thought it would rude if I pulled up home late and started to wash my car so I went to a car wash. Nothing bad happened but the rims looked dangerously close to the metal tire guide rails. Anyone have any issues with damaged rims?

JDN 06-20-2004 06:06 PM

I have bounced off several curbs with active steering and have yet to suffer a rash. The same curbs would have marked the '97 540 Sport wheels.

NickP 06-20-2004 08:39 PM

If I do have to go to a carwash I ALWAYS check first if the carwash has the rubber/plastic protector on the wheel rim area near the track. If it doesn't I will avoid that carwash.

stu 06-20-2004 11:10 PM

"I thought it would rude if I pulled up home late and started to wash my car"
LOL!!!

kigerka 06-20-2004 11:40 PM

What kind of Auto car wash do you use. I know here there are some that do not have brushes so they do not scratch.
I never thought it a good idea to send the Ultimate Driving Machine through one.

sj3 06-21-2004 04:59 AM

I tend to worry about the use of recycled water, which they all seem to use. All the dirt and grime washed off everyone else's car is in the water they use to wash mine? Not this week, thanks! I'm sure this concern is not completely justified, however, as they hopefully use some type of filters to keep out larger particles.

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY YESTERDAY, PENNETTA, AND TO ALL THE OTHER DADS HERE!!

Sam

kigerka 06-21-2004 05:20 AM

After making my previous post I went and read the car care manual and it does say that it is okay to go through an automatic car wash. It only warns that if you use one with a brush to make sure it is soft brushes.
Also, does anyone use a cleaner to specifically remove bugs? BMW advertised it in the manual.

JDN 06-21-2004 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by kigerka' date='Jun 21 2004, 08:20 AM
Also, does anyone use a cleaner to specifically remove bugs? BMW advertised it in the manual.

I just got back from a 12 hour drive from near Tallahassee to Dallas with more than a few bug carcasses pasted to the clear bra. I will be cleaning it up shortly, but based on your question, I went out and rubbed on a few of the recently departed with some Rejex. They came right off. Could be because the clear bra was treated with Rejex.

My normal bug removal tool is a nylon-mesh-wrapped sponge. I have also used various bug and tar removers, but they most certainly remove all wax.

JohanDC 06-21-2004 12:08 PM

I use the anti-bug spray of BMW and it works great. I just spray the bug area a little bit, wait a couple of minutes and clean it off with an high pressure hose (I hope this is the right word, if not, please correct me) and all bugs get washed of immediately. B)

kigerka 06-21-2004 08:41 PM

I will deffinetly have to get that cleaner from BMW. Summertime in Germany is the worst for little bugs and nats.