Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

So many choices!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 04:46 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Black Sapphire Metallic; Sport Package, Black Dakota Interior, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Shade Package, Pro logic 7 Premium Sound, Park Distance Control, Bluetooth, Active Steering, Front/Rear Heated Seats and Steering Wheel, Xenon lights

Okay I want to do a full detail...I've finally worked up enough confidence to give this whole process a shot on my own. I don't have anything other than your typical washing and drying materials. I have several questions:

1) I've seen a billion different clay bar systems out there (some obviously more expensive than others)...I searched a bunch and everyone loves the clay bar, but no one really mentions a certain brand and/or lubricant that is better than another. Does it matter or is a clay bar a clay bar and just pick a system and go for it?

2) For polish I've read a lot of good things about Menzerna for our BMW's...is that the way to go? Go with the intensive polish and finishing polish for now?

3) A good economical wax that everyone seems to like?

4) And finally a sealant of some sort?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-24-2008, 05:25 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clay bar...........I like Megs. Smooth Clay that you can pick up anywhere ($14).

Polish....Menz and Megs. both make very good polishes. You need to use a PC with these as applying by hand will do next to nothing. If you never used a PC I'd practice on an crappy car before your BMW.

LSP (Last Step Product)...... Sealants usually last longer but lack the warmth and depth of wax. OptiSeal makes an excellent sealant. As does Menz.. You can top you sealant with a good wax to get the ultimate protection and look. My favorites are ClearKote Caranuba Moose Wax ($20)...not much can touch this stuff in overall end look on any colored car at any price. Collinite 476 ($14)....super long durability. Looks great on lighter colors like silver. Works solid on darker colors but doesn't give them as much pop as some other waxes. P21S Concours ($30).....really wet look and looks good on all colors. Though durability isn't as great as the others. I find no reason to spend more money then those three I listed unless your getting paid to detail.

Also a really good detailer spray is Finish Kare 425. Best out there. Also there interior protectant is some of the best I've used...Finish Kare Top Kote 108.

If your not comfortable with getting into the paint correction side with the polishes you can always pay a pro to take care of it once and then you maintain its great looks.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:18 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Black Sapphire Metallic; Sport Package, Black Dakota Interior, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Shade Package, Pro logic 7 Premium Sound, Park Distance Control, Bluetooth, Active Steering, Front/Rear Heated Seats and Steering Wheel, Xenon lights

Hmm perhaps I am a bit out of my league...I haven't used a porter cable and am pretty apprehensive to do so. Unfortunately I'm not in Cali or the Tri-State area to take it to the best and I'm a little weary of taking it to someone around here in North Carolina.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:16 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tarfoot7' post='678527' date='Sep 25 2008, 09:18 PM
Hmm perhaps I am a bit out of my league...I haven't used a porter cable and am pretty apprehensive to do so. Unfortunately I'm not in Cali or the Tri-State area to take it to the best and I'm a little weary of taking it to someone around here in North Carolina.
I won't use a PC for the first time on your BMW. Most damage you do chances are could be corrected but is just more work for the professional detailer to do. Lots of videos out there to show you how. But I'd work on an older car with less value on it for your first time. If you do have a detailer come over and do work on your car I'm sure he be more then willing to give you a quick lesson on how to use the PC correctly and what not to do.

You can look in the Yellow Pages for detailers. But I'd check out Autopia.org they got some regional forums in there forums where you can locate good detailers. Many of the best detailer work just out of there home or a van.

P.S.: Paint correction isn't what its all cracked up to be. Its a very time consuming process to do. All sounds good to do at the start until you do start and realize you just spent an hour and you got one side done or the many other things that could pop up.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mach5 05' 530i Black Sapphire Metallic w/Auburn Leather Seats, Heated Front/Rear Seats, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Pkg, Sports Pkg, Xenon Headlights, NAV, Mud Flaps, 20" 166 Style Rims
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by tarfoot7' post='677508' date='Sep 24 2008, 08:46 PM
Okay I want to do a full detail...I've finally worked up enough confidence to give this whole process a shot on my own. I don't have anything other than your typical washing and drying materials. I have several questions:

1) I've seen a billion different clay bar systems out there (some obviously more expensive than others)...I searched a bunch and everyone loves the clay bar, but no one really mentions a certain brand and/or lubricant that is better than another. Does it matter or is a clay bar a clay bar and just pick a system and go for it?

2) For polish I've read a lot of good things about Menzerna for our BMW's...is that the way to go? Go with the intensive polish and finishing polish for now?

3) A good economical wax that everyone seems to like?

4) And finally a sealant of some sort?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!
You're in NC so you could order from Zaino and have the products in 2 days. Check out ythe website and you can even e-mail Sal yourself. It's a good starter detail product w/o using a PC. Others on this site will suggest mezerna, etc. Its all subjective! You'll have to experience the different products yourself to determine what you feel comfortable with, and what YOU think works for your vehicle. Good Luck.