Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Should I detail my car now?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 05:49 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '06 530xi Jet Black

I need to get my car detailed eventually; however, there is one problem....POLLEN. I drive a black car so pollen and scratches are extremely visible so I am wondering should I wait until pollen season ends? I live in Western Pennsylvania so I have no idea when that is.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:54 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Jet Black|Black Options: Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|PDC|Nav|Satellite Radio|Active Steering|Convenience Entry Mods: Trinity Side Skirts|Trinity Black Grilles|LCI Tail Lights with Bruce V6|Fog Light Bezel Rings|MTEC V2 Angel Eyes|LED License Plate Lights

My jet black e60 was washed Sunday and looked great. It was parked in the covered garage today, but covered in pollen when I left work this evening. Yuck...

Maybe wait until Pollen season is over.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:12 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Freaking polish people....ehhh...I mean pollen...

Detail it, and just had wash weakly...
Old 04-07-2010, 03:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I think its better to get the wax and polish on the finish before all the "crap" starts hitting it. Plus, exposure to the Sun tends to fade the black paint, so the sooner you get her detailed - the better.

Seems that you're looking at the detail as this big, big and very thorough car wash, but in reality it is more than that: you're also protecting the paint and other finishes from the elements. You'll also be taking off all the "crap" that got stuck to your paint during the cold months (salt and whatever else - you name it).

Get the detail done ASAP, buy a duster (something that will not scratch the surface) and wipe the pollen away daily (instead of washing the car all the time). And make sure that the detailer uses top materials and puts a nice coat of carnuba or polish - whatever's better for the black paint, I don't know.

This thread reminded me - I have to get mine detailed too I've already put compound on it once after the winter, but I need to do a proper detail in a week or two (anyone in NYC area wanna hit me up with a quote for interior and engine bay detail - be my quest, BTW). With white paint, its a little simpler: I just clay the exterior and throw some carnuba on it simple and VERY effective. With black cars, you'll want to add a few steps to that to be sure that the effects are lasting - I don't remember it all now, but C had a nice thread on keeping black paint perfect some time ago (when he had his old 530), or just search through the forum and see what you find... ok, I think I've "contributed" enough to this thread

PS your s/n is "dinan530xi" - what Dinan parts/tunes are you running? Just curious, bc I have a 530Xi too.