Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Short question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 10:14 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to give my engine a wash tomorrow since i got my car back after a week in service for some hood repainting and front bumper. And they worked very very dirty, alot of dust on the engine and aslo on the leather so i'll make sure to give her the full treatment. Exterior, interior, engine, polish and wax.
Before i proceed to wash my engine is there smth particular i should do before? I know i don't have to do anything important, but well any advice is well taken.
I'll make sure the engine isn't stressed before the wash so that it won't heat up too much, also i'll be using a jet wash (pressure), and with warm water.
Thanx.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

I'd only do it when the engine is stone cold for two reasons. First, putting water on hot metal can cause it to fracture. A slim possibility at best, but why risk it? Second, any steam produced could possibly penetrate the electronics and raise all sorts of hell.

Also, I am not sure using a pressure washer is a good idea. The water pressure could knock an electrical connector loose or force water into an area where it might do some harm.

I've hosed (low pressure) down my e39 and e60 engines when cold without any ill effects. I suggest doing just that.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

WD40 is your friend
Old 04-03-2006, 11:07 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by gwf545' post='264104' date='Apr 3 2006, 01:52 PM
I'd only do it when the engine is stone cold for two reasons. First, putting water on hot metal can cause it to fracture. A slim possibility at best, but why risk it? Second, any steam produced could possibly penetrate the electronics and raise all sorts of hell.

Also, I am not sure using a pressure washer is a good idea. The water pressure could knock an electrical connector loose or force water into an area where it might do some harm.

I've hosed (low pressure) down my e39 and e60 engines when cold without any ill effects. I suggest doing just that.

Just water? Did you use any type of cleaner? Thanks.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:14 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gwf545' post='264104' date='Apr 3 2006, 09:52 PM

Right...point taken into consideration...
Old 04-03-2006, 11:15 AM
Senior Members

I've power-washed engines on all my cars, including E60 many times without any ill effects ever. Most modern engines are well protected from water - just do not spray directly into plugs, generator, air boxes, or battery (not a concern with BMWs). The engine should be barely warm, almost cold. Spray some water on the engine, let it sit for a minute or so, then go over major surfaces with fine soft brush w/car shamoo or something similar, then wash it all off. Give a final blast for a rinse. Let it drip, and then start the car - let it warm up, shut down the engine and wipe the engine bay with soft cloth.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:27 AM
Senior Members

Diesel engines and water is not a good combination! My manual says that I should not use high pressure water on my engine...

I just wipe the dust of my engine with a wet kitchen cloth, everytime I wash the car, and then some WD40.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:27 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by TexaZ3' post='264122' date='Apr 3 2006, 10:15 PM
I've power-washed engines on all my cars, including E60 many times without any ill effects ever. Most modern engines are well protected from water - just do not spray directly into plugs, generator, air boxes, or battery (not a concern with BMWs). The engine should be barely warm, almost cold. Spray some water on the engine, let it sit for a minute or so, then go over major surfaces with fine soft brush w/car shamoo or something similar, then wash it all off. Give a final blast for a rinse. Let it drip, and then start the car - let it warm up, shut down the engine and wipe the engine bay with soft cloth.
Thank you for the advice. So the best would be to have the engine cold, make it progressive and not to exagerate with pressure and spot on. just quick washing from some distance.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:29 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by E60Sim' post='264129' date='Apr 3 2006, 10:27 PM
Diesel engines and water is not a good combination! My manual says that I should not use high pressure water on my engine...

I just wipe the dust of my engine with a wet kitchen cloth, everytime I wash the car, and then some WD40.
ok...i got it. I dunno, after all i think i'll stay away from the water, but what's wd40?
Old 04-03-2006, 11:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='264133' date='Apr 3 2006, 02:29 PM
ok...i got it. I dunno, after all i think i'll stay away from the water, but what's wd40?
Water Displacement 40 - a special liquid w/million uses. Honestly, I don't know how you would you would use that to clean an engine?
Anyway, a littel water won't hurt the engine, believe me, it will be just fine.

Quick Reply: Short question...