Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Scratches

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 05:39 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 09 535i Xdrive Technology package Premium Package Audiophile Sound Package

Can a scratch that you can catch your fingernail on be buffed out, or is it necessary to repaint?
I ask because I had my car at the dealer for the last few days and noticed several thin scratches on it when I went to pick it up .They said they will work on it, and I am wondering how much work this will entail.Grateful for any insights!
Old 01-27-2011, 05:44 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

You can feel a wide range of scratches with your nail...depends. If you can REALLY feel it then it might be too deep...if it's just deep enough to hit the paint then you can get away with sanding and buffing the surrounding clear coat a bit to make it more level. It shouldn't look all that bad. Pics would really help.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 09 535i Xdrive Technology package Premium Package Audiophile Sound Package

Thanks, I would say the scratches are on the light side,with only minimal catching of the fingernail.I will wait to see what they do and from what you have said,it may be not as serious as I imagined.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:14 PM
Members

Update.My dealer called in a firm that did a wet sand on the car and the scratches seemed to have been removed.My question is, is this a permanent solution or should I expect them to reappear after a polish,clean etc.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:07 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Wet sanding means that the scratches have been actually sanded off. In a right light and angle, there might be a light line where the scratch was. It all depends how well they did it and how deep the scratches were. When wet sanding or polishing (which is actually sanding too, but very light sanding), the clear coat must not be sanded through. And now if the scratch was through the clear coat, there is some kind of remain (line) visible.

- Antti -
Old 02-03-2011, 03:23 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Anzafin
Wet sanding means that the scratches have been actually sanded off. In a right light and angle, there might be a light line where the scratch was. It all depends how well they did it and how deep the scratches were. When wet sanding or polishing (which is actually sanding too, but very light sanding), the clear coat must not be sanded through. And now if the scratch was through the clear coat, there is some kind of remain (line) visible.

- Antti -
Thanks from your fellow nordic countryman!