Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Rust/something on wheel/brake

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 04:55 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Blue 530i Auto, Grey Leather, Xenons, 275/35/18 wheels, Bluetooth w Blackberry, Glass Sunroof

Hi Kiran,

As far as I can tell this is very common, at least here in the UK where most cars are not garaged.

Rgds,
Niel
Old 05-11-2006, 12:40 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

See response I got from my dealer about this issue.

Good Afternoon Mr Miranda

xxxxxxxxxx from corporate sales has forwarded your email to me ref rusting on discs etc. I presume from the content that when you say "rotors", you are actually referring to the hub that the wheel bolts to, which in fact is part of the brake disc?

The discs on any car will rust relatively quickly, due to the principal fact that it is an untreated metal surface exposed to atmospheric conditions and not treated. If it were treated you would not have the friction required to stop the car. The disc surface itself is cleaned by the brake pads as they are mated with the disc face as you apply the brake. This effectiveness of this is governed by certain factors, such as how hard the brakes are applied, relative to the amount of corrosion evident, and also how long the car has been stood allowing corrosion to build up on the disc surface prior to being driven, also how and where you live can influence this, i.e. if you live near the coast, salt/sea air may speed up this process.

with reference to the hubs, please visit your nearest dealer, and ask them to notify the technical department to report this for info only back to BMW. Alternatively, please email me some photos and I will organise this to be fed back to BMW as required. As it stands currently, corrosion of brake discs is not a warranty matter, as it is not caused by Manufacturing defect.

I hope this is answers your query, and should you wish us to feed this info back to BMW then please let me know, by reply attaching some photos so we know exactly which parts you are referring to.

Kind Regards

xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Service Manager