Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

The Problem Solver- How To Remover Bug Stains and Tar quickly!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 05:28 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Daily Driver
Default The Problem Solver- How To Remover Bug Stains and Tar quickly!

The Problem Solver – How To Remove Bug Stains and Tar Deposits

Nothing is as frustrating to the car enthusiast as witnessing their freshly detailed ride being attacked by a relentless swarm of kamikaze insects. Not only do they create a difficult-to-remove mess, but if left to sit for any period of time, the insect remains can chew through your wax or sealant and begin to damage your paint! Some highly-acidic insects, such as Florida Love Bugs, can damage paint within hours.

Clean Quickly

As soon as an insect bids farewell, aims and impacts your bumper, it immediately begins to decay. As the insect remains decay, acidic enzymes are released that damage and etch your clear coat. The longer the insect breaks down, the more concentrated and powerful the enzymes become. Your best is to wash the insects off quickly using a soapy water and a Safe Scrub Bug Sponge as needed. The faster they are cleaned from the surface, the less the risk of damage and the easier they wash away.

In The Real World

Unfortunately, the things like our children's soccer games, work schedules, highway trips and responsibilities may keep us from cleaning the insect remains for days or weeks at a time. As they are allowed to brake down, the insect remains become increasingly more difficult to remove. You will often need a special cleaner to help dissolve and loosen the remains to clean completely. There are many powerful cleaners available to help you in your quest for bug-free paint. One of the safest, yet most powerful, is Detailer's Road Kill Bug Remover.

Start By Washing

Wash the bug infested areas first using a bucket of soapy water. To avoid scratching the rest of your paint, use a separate wash mitt, sponge or towel. Use light pressure and lightly work the infested areas to remove as much road dirt and bug residue as possible. Dry careful, blotting the area (not wiping!) with a Cobra Guzzler Waffle Weave Drying Towel.

Bug Remains Removal Procedure

Which ever bug remover you are using, follow the manufacturer's recommendations. Detailer's Road Kill Bug Remover is a highly-concentrated cleaning solution that can diluted 1:1 with water or used full strength on heavily stained areas.
  • Spray Road Kill Bug Remover directly onto a cool surface and allow it dwell for 30 seconds. Do not allow Road Kill Bug Remover to dry.
  • Wipe the area clean with a soft microfiber towel. On heavily soiling, use a bug sponge such as Safe Scrub Bug Pad or damp Lake Country Ultimate Bug Sponge.
  • Wipe the area dry or rinse with water then dry.

• Many bug removers are excellent tar removers as well. Again follow the manufacturer's instructions regarding tar and deposit removal.

Tar Removal Procedure:
  • Dampen an All Purpose Microfiber Towel with water.
  • Spray Detailer's Road Kill Bug Remover directly on to both the surface AND the microfiber towel.
  • Firmly hold the microfiber towel on the surface for 1 minute to allow the tar to soften.
  • Gently wipe clean until all tar deposits are removed.
  • Wipe the area dry or rinse with water.
  • For stubborn road tar, a second application may be necessary.

Apply Wax!

Bug remains that are not removed quickly will damage the wax layer, and given enough time they will damage your paint. Removing bug remains and stains to reveal damage is never a fun experience. In order to maintain the highest level of protection, add an additional coat of your car wax or synthetic paint sealant each time clean your front bumper during bug season.

Detailer's Road Kill Big Remover

The front of my beater was last washed about 4 months ago, maybe 5 (shhhhh). Before that it was likely washed 1 time in the last 4 years. Needless to say there were some bug remains glued to the paint.
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  201.0 KB

Start by spraying an ample amount of Detailer's Road Kill Bug Remover over the "infested" area and allow to dwell. For best results, wash and lightly dry the area first. Allow Road Kill to dwell for 30 seconds to 1 minute. (I found it is better to let it dwell slightly longer, but you DO NOT want it to dry!)

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  367.5 KB

Next you want to lightly scrub the bug remains with a towel or bug sponge. I personally like using a bug sponge that is damp with water. In the picture below I am squeezing out the new Lake Country Ultimate Bug Sponge in order to dampen it.
Name:  4.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  255.8 KB

Another trick I like to use, because I like to let the bug cleaner dwell a little longer, is to add a few sprays to the face of the damp bug sponge.

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  432.5 KB

Now lightly scrub the surface, allowing the sponge and the cleaner, not your muscles, to do the work.

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  272.2 KB

To illustrate the cleaning power of Detailer's Road Kill, I decided to clean half the bumper first, before finishing the whole front end. Given that the beater is 10 years old and has been neglected for much of its life, I was expecting to see a lot of bug damage once the front was clean.

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  252.2 KB

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  344.0 KB

While thousands of stains did mark the front bumper, you can clearly see how effective road kill is. The remaining "marks" are imprints of bug carcasses, some which likely sat against the paint for years and years and years. Never the less, Road Kill quickly cut through the insect remain built up.

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  293.9 KB

Complete bumper done.

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  320.1 KB

Completely clean, but marked up from years of neglect. This is why it is important to clean your front end frequently and completely during bug season AND keep a good coat of wax or sealant on it. Detailer's Road Kill Bug Remover and the Lake Country Ultimate Bug Sponge is powerful enough for such a neglected front end and safe enough for frequent use.
Name:  11.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  253.9 KB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
3.jpg (367.5 KB, 141 views)
4.jpg (255.8 KB, 74 views)
5.jpg (432.5 KB, 66 views)
6.jpg (272.2 KB, 71 views)