Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Plastic Lens Covers

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 07:05 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you wax your headlights when you wax the car? I know you shouldn?t use any scratch or swirl remover on them but what about wax? Or is there something special I should use?
Old 08-17-2004, 07:29 AM
JDN
Contributors

Rain-X or that gel that Jimbo touts from Home Depot. I have experience with Rain-X which helps water, air, and bugs slip off -- well the bugs don't slip that well. <G> I also used Rejex on the lights when I did the whole car about three months ago. Holding up like a new wax job, BTW. I, for one, will never go back to anything that looks, smells, or spreads like Carnauba.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:48 AM
Contributors

JDN - I was just poking around on rain-x's website because they carry a few of their products at the car care center on base and since you mentioned it....

Their site says:
2). Can I Use Rain-X? Glass Treatment and/or Rain-X? Anti-Fog? on plastics?
Consult the manufacturer of the plastic prior to use.
Then I noticed in their Marine section:
Rain-X? Marine Windshield Treatment
Safe for glass and PlexiglasTM applications
What do you think?
Old 08-17-2004, 08:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I would use the marine stuff just to be sure!
Old 08-17-2004, 08:34 AM
JDN
Contributors

I agree. Even though I have had years of success on Bimmer headlights, I would play it safe if I had any doubt whatsoever. All of a sudden I do. I would also be careful not to get either on the paint as per their instructions. I have never been painstakingly careful about this, but usually apply first to a washable paper towel and then to the glass. I also use it on the sunroof just so it won't feel left out.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I also do the mirror glass with this stuff and never have drops of water on them while driving.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:00 AM
JDN
Contributors

And sometimes the side windows when I get overzealous, but more often, the rear window.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:56 PM
Senior Members

I have the clear bra material on my headlights so I usually just wash/dry the lights just like the rest of the car. I haven't waxed/polished them.

The Gel-gloss stuff that I have been referring to in my other posts does work very well on glass, is easy to apply and is pretty inexpensive but doesn't last very long. I may try the Rejex.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:42 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Aug 17 2004, 05:29 PM
....I also used Rejex on the lights when I did the whole car about three months ago....
I think I may go this route too but with Klasse All in One instead of Rejex. I have been searching autopia and it seems like it wont be a problem although it's hard to find a definitive answer. Thanks for all your comments.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:25 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by Jimbo' date='Aug 17 2004, 10:56 PM
I have the clear bra material on my headlights so I usually just wash/dry the lights just like the rest of the car. I haven't waxed/polished them.
Jimbo, the instructions that I got with my clear bra told me to give it wax it just like it was paint. So, I give it the same treatment that I give the paint except more often because it gets scrubbed more from bug cleaning.

Quick Reply: Plastic Lens Covers