Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Perfect clean and shiny car!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 04:36 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a write up in an earlier thread and not everybody might have read it. Here are some tips from an expert detailer who details my car. The process below is the way to an award winning finish!

Zaino is different as a wax. It is syntetic based and a sealant, unlike to waxes. It protects the car way longer and gives a really glossy apperance on black, and makes silver stand out like nothing else. My detailer used ZFX (special effects) mixed with the Zaino Z2

All info on zaino can be found here (and ordered) : http://www.zainostore.com/

If you want to apply this stuff, make sure the paint surface is well prepped. Use a light polish / cleaner first to remove any contamination on the paint. Since your car is new you will not have to clay off dirt particles.

Step 1:

Wash it with Zaino Z7 show car wash. Make a strong solution, not a bubble fest. Use 2 buckets of soap to avoid marring, especially on dark colored cars. Try to rinse most of the dirt of first and then wash the car properly from top to bottom. Use back and forth strokes with your sponge, no circular patterns. On darker paints you will have to be more careful My detailer washes all top panels first, then rinses off with water, and moves on to the lower panels. Use plenty of water after to rinse the car completely.

Step 2:

The wheels: My detailer uses P21S wheel cleaner:

http://www.autogeek.net/p2wheelclean.html

as it is the only wheel cleaner that is completely safe for your rims. Spray 8-9 times on each wheel. Let it sit for 5 mins, Then, use a sponge (NOT a brush) to clean the wheels thoroughly. For heavily soiled wheels this stuff is safe to let it sit up to 2 hours ! IF you can't reach certain spots, try to push the sponge between in it and rub the dirt out. Rinse thoroughly.
Now, if your wheels have a few spots (tar) on them, you can use Tarminator on a towel to remove tar safely. http://www.autogeek.net/tarminator.html

Then you can rinse the wheels again.

Step 3:

Drying: Some people use chamois but the only safe way to clean your car without making scratches is by using a (waffle) microfiber drying towel. You will only need 2 to dry the complete vehicle! http://www.autogeek.net/cobwafmictow.html

These towels will last you years.

Once you have completed the drying process (paint first, then wheels) , you have a paint surface that is ready to be prepared for Zaino Z2!

Step 4:

Polishing: If you have any swirl marks on the car, now's the time to take them out and prepare the surface for zaino at the same time! Even if you do not have swirls this product is completely clear coat safe and removes any oils or contamination that might be on the paint. This is the product to use:

http://www.autogeek.net/meg9swirrem.html

Apply this Meguiars Swirl Remover product with a microfiber applicator (these also can be washed in the washing machine): http://www.autogeek.net/cobmicpad.html

Step 5:

Applying the Zaino:

Use the directions as stated on the Zaino website. Short version: I recommend to use ZFX, it really activates the product. You get 4 small bottles with the ZFX package and a tiny blue bottle with some accelerator stuff in it. If you want to layer Zaino, ZFX is required.

Just fill up half a small bottle in the ZFX package, and add 5 drops of ZFX in it. Then shake hard for 90 secs. Then, use the 2nd clean microfiber applicator (not the one you used already with meguiars polish) and use the polish sparingly. Use circular motions first, then go over the same area with back and forward motions. Remember, a bit of polish goes a long way. The key succes of using Zaino is to create a VERY thin layer. Then, let it stand for 30 mins and wipe it off with a Microfiber towel (can also go in the washing machine):

http://www.autogeek.net/pincobdetclo.html

Now you can add another coat to get an even deeper shine! You can add up to 3 coats within 24 hours!

Step 6: Protecting the wheels:
Now comes the good part: The leftover of the polish you till have in this bottle can be used on the wheels! Apply it and let it also stand for 30 mins. Your rims were never so slick and next time you will wash your wheels the dirt can be removed so easily! Waxes on wheels do not work (will melt off), but sealants can hold up against very high temperatures.

Now, this is a very time investing job to do (5-6 hours when my detailer does it) , but I can tell you it is worth it 1000%, trust me. http://www.autogeek.net will be your new friend. Use "autopia" as coupon and you will get an instant 10% off your order. These guys ship worldwide.

For international Zaino orders: http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...ory_Code=NOT47
which will lead you to: http://www.advancedcarproducts.com/

All the stuff will cost you a bit, but hey so did your car.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Excellent stuff.
Your car looks better than when it left the factory.

Old 04-28-2005, 08:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2002 330CIC with Sports and Premium (Sold 4/2005) 2005 545I Black Saphire Metalic, with Black Dakota Leather, Poplar trim. Sport Package, MTech Body kit and Spoiler, HUD, Comfort Seats, Navigation, Premium sound, CWP, Heated Rear Seats, Window shades. Valentine 1 hardwired, Aux input.

Great post. I am going to try this exact process. Question though. I want to apply Rejex. What portion of the process do I delete, or do I just do it last. Not familiar with Zaino.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:35 PM
Members

Just use the Rejex in place of the Zaino. Not familiar with Rejex. I use Zaino, both are synthetic. Great product but you need to decide what kind of shine / protection you're after based on the color of your car. Nothing wrong with a great carnuba, such as Pinnacle Souveran, especially on a dark car. No synthetic will compare to its deep, wet glossy shine.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:56 AM
Members

LuvE60;

the thing is, Rejex is not as durable as Zaino, and isn't as glossy. Overall, Rejex is pretty average. Sure, it will last longer than any carnauba wax, but in the world of synthetics it's like a turtle wax; good enough but pretty average.

This has been thoroughly discussed on detailing boards.

If you do insist on using the Rejex you will need to just apply Rejex instead of the Zaino, as you said it is the last process you will be doing.

Zaino is just such a good product. Thin layers is the key, try to layer the polish as thin as you can possibly do.

Sixgun95;

Synthetics are known for its gloss, waxes for depth. You can always apply Zaino 2 first; then top it off with Pinnacle Souveran or any high end carnuba wax, if you want the best of two worlds. Souveran is known for its extreme wet look & depth.

Oh btw, please post pictures when you have done this process. I am very curious!
Old 04-30-2005, 11:12 AM
Members

I agree 100%!
Old 04-30-2005, 11:52 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by BMW535d' date='Apr 30 2005, 09:56 AM
Synthetics are known for its gloss, waxes for depth. You can always apply Zaino 2 first; then top it off with Pinnacle Souveran or any high end carnuba wax, if you want the best of two worlds.
[snapback]122257[/snapback]
So just to play devils advocate...
With Zaino the prep and application process is so long and labor intensive, with the theoretical payback being longevity of finish (so you don't have to do it for a while), and, to a lesser extent, some people actually seem to like the shiny look (looks unnatural/plasticy to me vs. depth of color & shine from a carnauba wax).

So after investing all that time/effort, why would somebody then apply a carnauba wax, which won't last as long as the synthetic? I'm hard pressed to believe you'd be able to notice a difference between carnauba applied to a properly prepared surface, vs. carnauba applied to a Zaino surface.

I've never used Zaino, but have been using Rejex on my cars for a few years (only on the windshield, wheels and exhaust tips), and the stuff is so slick I can't imagine how carnauba wax would actually stick to it.

My $0.02 is to use synthetics if you want (theoretical) durability, and carnauba if you want depth of color & shine. I've actually found pretty much the best of both worlds with One Grand Blitz wax. I used Zymol for over 15 years on my Porsches and nothing looks better right after you're done (and it smells like a day at the beach... ), but I got tired of the difficult application/removal process and terrible durability. Blitz is a high quality carnauba with a great finish, goes on and off very easily, and lasts a very long time.

Just one man's opinion...
Old 04-30-2005, 02:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

Originally Posted by stream' date='Apr 30 2005, 12:52 PM
[quote name='BMW535d' date='Apr 30 2005, 09:56 AM']Synthetics are known for its gloss, waxes for depth. You can always apply Zaino 2 first; then top it off with Pinnacle Souveran or any high end carnuba wax, if you want the best of two worlds.
With Zaino the prep and application process is so long and labor intensive, with the theoretical payback being longevity of finish (so you don't have to do it for a while), and, to a lesser extent, some people actually seem to like the shiny look (looks unnatural/plasticy to me vs. depth of color & shine from a carnauba wax).

So after investing all that time/effort, why would somebody then apply a carnauba wax, which won't last as long as the synthetic? I'm hard pressed to believe you'd be able to notice a difference between carnauba applied to a properly prepared surface, vs. carnauba applied to a Zaino surface.

I've never used Zaino, but have been using Rejex on my cars for a few years (only on the windshield, wheels and exhaust tips), and the stuff is so slick I can't imagine how carnauba wax would actually stick to it.

My $0.02 is to use synthetics if you want (theoretical) durability, and carnauba if you want depth of color & shine. I've actually found pretty much the best of both worlds with One Grand Blitz wax. I used Zymol for over 15 years on my Porsches and nothing looks better right after you're done (and it smells like a day at the beach... ), but I got tired of the difficult application/removal process and terrible durability. Blitz is a high quality carnauba with a great finish, goes on and off very easily, and lasts a very long time.

[snapback]122293[/snapback]
[/quote]

Does anyone have side-by-side pictures of how a given car looks different with Rejex/synthetics applied vs. Carnauba?
Old 04-30-2005, 04:36 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Merzbow' date='Apr 30 2005, 03:54 PM
[quote name='stream' date='Apr 30 2005, 12:52 PM'][quote name='BMW535d' date='Apr 30 2005, 09:56 AM']Synthetics are known for its gloss, waxes for depth. You can always apply Zaino 2 first; then top it off with Pinnacle Souveran or any high end carnuba wax, if you want the best of two worlds.

[snapback]122293[/snapback]
[/quote]

Does anyone have side-by-side pictures of how a given car looks different with Rejex/synthetics applied vs. Carnauba?
[snapback]122339[/snapback]
[/quote]

I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference in a pic. The depth of color/shine would be hard to reproduce in a pic.