Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Optimum Car Care Longevity Setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 12:53 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535i xDrive; Black Sapphire Metallic; Premium, Cold Weather Packages, Navi, PDC, 20% Solargard Tint

So, I just bought my car, did some basic mods, and now would like to get the optimum way to protect it, improve/remove blemishes in the paint (eg tiny stone chips), and ensure that I'm not doing the work monthly... What're the best products, and the best way to improve longevity?

I apologize for starting a new thread on the topic, but most people tend to post their products for the optimum one-time appearance. My goal isnt so much one-time appeal, so much as longevity. I'd like to do a thorough job once, then forget about it (minus car washes) for 2 months. I'd like things to protect, and improve the quality.

1) Body: Clay bar - What is it used for, and which one does everyone recommend? Then, what wash, then cleaner wax, followed by a Canuba wax? Which wax lasts the longest? How often do I use a cleaner wax? Which one does everyone recommend? Are these "black car" waxes good for prolonged periods of time (I've got a black car).

2) Trim: I've got chrome trim, I'd like to keep it, it's oxidized and has some glazing to it, what's the best chrome cleaner? Black trim, what keep it looking black and fresh?

3) Wheels: Last time I washed my car, I just put some canuba wax on the wheels after I had washed the wheels directly - didnt make much of a difference - any recommendations?

4) Windows: Wax the windows? I hear mixed things - I'd rather not.

5) Leather seating: what is the best cleaner, then the best protector?

6) Wood Trim: Best Cleaner/Protector?

7) Dashboard: Same question - best cleaner/protector?

8) Fabric: Same as above.

I think I more or less covered everything. I'm most interested in the exterior, but all info is good.

Sorry again for the million questions, but there is so much scattered information, it's tough to get it all together.

Thanks again.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 W211
Model Year: 2017

adamspolishes.com check out the forums
detailerdomain.com check out the forums
Old 07-20-2012, 04:07 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 525xi led ae's, magnaflow exhaust, k&n filter, carbon filter delete, 19" BBS LM-R. Sprint booster, black tails, euro fresh headlight decals.

Adams has some amazing products, as well as chemical guys. I personal love the chemical guys black light wax on my black sapphire paint. It has an unmatched shine in my opinion. Adams has a great clay kit that works top notch! As for my leather, I use only zimol leather cleaner, and conditioner. Originally started buying zimol products at a Porsche dealer locally about 16 years ago, but can be picked up almost anywhere these days. However the leather cleaner and conditioner I have only been able to find at target lately. As for glass, I use clay magic glass clay, and invisible glass, after cleaning with these 2 products, your glass will bead up like a freshly waxed car! A good paint sealer from chemical guys is the lava, it's that product that will keep your car looking "fresh" it's a sealer that you would use after you clay your car and buff (correct swirls and scratches) and wax after the lava sealer. Any black trim I use mothers "back to black" but ignore directions, apply with a brush pretty thick, allow it to set in, then wipe off any extra in about 5 minutes or so. On my interior I use turtle wax ice interior gel, not the spray, it's something you squeeze out onto a towel or pad. If I left anything out, or you have any other questions feel free to message me, I'm a detail junkie and have tried hundreds of products. I can give you lots of tips and pointed to help you out if you need.