Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Is it OK hosing the rims?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 05:15 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 523i steptronic (delivered 22nd Sept. 2005) solid black, amethyst dakota leather, styling 124 18" PS2
Thumbs up

I have been hosing the rims to rinse off brake dust but I 've noticed lately that the circular discs just behind the alloy rims are turning rusty. Is this normal? Have I done something I'm not supposed to do?
Old 10-30-2005, 05:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by titanic' date='Oct 30 2005, 09:15 PM
I have been hosing the rims to rinse off brake dust but I 've noticed lately that the circular discs just behind the alloy rims are turning rusty. Is this normal? Have I done something I'm not supposed to do?
[snapback]191072[/snapback]

Don't do it to hot brakes. You risk warping the rotors.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 640D MSPORT GT

Originally Posted by titanic' date='Oct 31 2005, 03:15 AM
[snapback]191072[/snapback]
hi ,well here goes the (circular disks?) are your brake disks that the brake pads rub against to stop(brake)you,
surface rust is normal and will rub off after a couple of miles driving.
i always run the brake pedal when its raining just before i get home to garage so that the disk is heated a little and will dry any moisture off.only because i may not use the car for a while.i always follow the same procedure after washing.hope this a help
Old 10-31-2005, 11:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Steptronic, Premium, PDC, Logic7

I think he means the hub-housing(??) - the thing immediately adjascent to the rim that the rim actually bolts on to. This gets somewhat rusty on many cars and is most noticable on cars with more open style rims (liek 138s). I know it was a discussion topic in 2004 but not sure whether they have changed something to fix or not.

I don't think you can prevent it from not getting wet by not hosing it.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:33 AM
Senior Members

Take it to a BMW dealer and tell them about it. I took my 5 to the local jetwash when i was being lazy and the wheel treatment stuff stripped off the silver finish on the bit you are talking about...IT went horrifically rusty and looked crap.

I contacted Damon Hill BMW in warwick and the girl in service asked me to email some pictures across so she would know what i was talking about. I did so and she phoned to say it wouldnt be a problem and i should just bring it in.

They applied some heat resistant silver spray stuff and assured me it wouldnt happen again. I have had no problems since doing so.

(picture attached)
Attached Thumbnails Is it OK hosing the rims?-wheel1.jpg  
Old 11-17-2005, 06:49 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 523i steptronic (delivered 22nd Sept. 2005) solid black, amethyst dakota leather, styling 124 18" PS2

Originally Posted by DXXXi' post='191480' date='Nov 1 2005, 04:54 AM
I think he means the hub-housing(??) - the thing immediately adjascent to the rim that the rim actually bolts on to. This gets somewhat rusty on many cars and is most noticable on cars with more open style rims (liek 138s). I know it was a discussion topic in 2004 but not sure whether they have changed something to fix or not.

No I believe those are the disk rotors, fairly huge disks which cannot be missed. Funny enough the rust kind of disappear after much driving around.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 320i, M3 paddle shift, Sat Nav

Originally Posted by titanic' post='199837

No I believe those are the disk rotors, fairly huge disks which cannot be missed. Funny enough the rust kind of disappear after much driving around.
[/quote]

Of course. Those are the brake disks that rust. Its normal to rust as they are made of iron. Even Ferraris and Porsches rust. Unless if its made of silicon carbide.

Reason why the rust disappears is because when you drive the car you need to brake. Therefore, when the pads clamp on the disc, it removes the rust as well. Rust takes place as soon as 30 mins after water contact as it is a pure iron. Don't worry about it.

However don't hose the wheels when its still hot as it'll warp the disc and have steering judder when you apply the brakes.