5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   Detailing Forum (https://5series.net/forums/detailing-forum-15/)
-   -   new car smell (https://5series.net/forums/detailing-forum-15/new-car-smell-1263/)

wslam 06-07-2004 10:21 AM

I was in the BMW showroom, sat in a 5 and a 7 and got a headache after 5 mins...the smell of the new car/leather is just too intense for me. which makes me worry...when my car does get delivered, i will have to go through the same phase. are there effective ways to get rid of that smell as soon as possible? i dont like those flowery smell thingy. very fake. i just dont want my car to smell anything...
thanks.

JDN 06-07-2004 10:26 AM

Beans

kigerka 06-07-2004 10:31 AM

Are you saying to put beans in your car? :blink: If so, what kind of beans?

JohanDC 06-07-2004 10:32 AM

Just drive through a drive-in and order some fries and burgers. :P I think you will get rid of it quickly, if not, repeat this procedure until you do not smell it anymore.

It's funny that you want to get rid of it, as I would love to keep it as long as possible, so no fries and burgers for me.

wslam 06-07-2004 10:34 AM

JDN, BEANS?!
You dont mean I should eat beans and... haha! :lol:
i am serious. I get a bad headache from it. if there's any pratical solution, i would love to try. like how a lemon works in a fridge...

Icy 06-07-2004 10:36 AM

Here, here. One of the many simple pleasures of life... :)

JohanDC 06-07-2004 10:39 AM

Maybe you can let someone else drive the car until it goes away? :D

JDN 06-07-2004 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by wslam' date='Jun 7 2004, 01:34 PM
JDN, BEANS?!
You dont mean I should eat beans and... haha! :lol:
i am serious. I get a bad headache from it. if there's any pratical solution, i would love to try. like how a lemon works in a fridge...

Sorry - bad dishumor. :ph34r:

I really like the new car smell. My wife can keep her car smelling that way for years. Mine deteriorates fast.

Just air it out every chance you get. Park in the garage with the windows open. Slide the sunroof back.

All of the above should help you wear it out.

Rudy 06-07-2004 11:11 AM

I have something similar to this gadget:

Car air ionizer

You might be able to find something similar in Hong Kong (maybe on Nathan Road?).

bankerboyz 06-07-2004 11:15 AM

The moment I saw JDN's reply "beans" I knew what that meant and started dying, that was indeed funny. :lol: Like most everybody else I stove to kept the new car smell as long as possible, but alas it went away. WSLAM, sorry to hear that you get a headache from it, nothing that a week's dose of food smells and a sweaty gym clothes on the back seat wont cure. :D And if all else fails you can give the old beans a try. B)

Good Luck!!!!

gdavis 06-07-2004 12:27 PM

The new car smell is primarily from chemicals used in plastics called 'plastisizers'. They are additives that help to make the plastic pliable and prevent cracking. They are somewhat volatile in that they go into the air over time and produce a smell as well as evenutally, allow the plastic to crack more easily. They are not particularly good for one to breathe anyway.

Leather has it's own chemicals that are used to process the skin and also paints/stains that have volatile components in them.

Opening the windows whenever possible will help the speed of the smell going away as JDN said. That's the only real process that will help.

alohalc 06-07-2004 01:11 PM

wslam, i have the same ionizer as rudy posted...for at least 4-5 years. you just need to leave it on for a day (couple days if the smell is too strong) and it should get better. if the smell stays, you can get a bigger one instead of this.

car ionizer (larger)

however, you'll get another smell from that little gadget (both have the same smell). it smells like you are ironing your clothes :blink:. hope this kind of smell won't create another problem for you :P.

btw, not too many places in hk are selling that kind of ionizer. they only have some small, cheap looking ones. not sure if those will work.

heezy545i 06-07-2004 02:08 PM

My car had neither that distinct new car smell or a strong scent of leather.

For air freshener, I enjoy meguiar leather conditioner/cleaner.

rollee 06-07-2004 04:26 PM

hi wslam good to see you here. i love that new car smell, the longer it stays the better.
if you really prefer not, just open all the windows and roof to air out the car, better yet if you can park the car with all these open. give it at least a week. in any case do not use any other add-ons, it will only make the scent worse.

kigerka 06-07-2004 07:41 PM

I am a little slow, Beans!! Good stuff.

Kiasu King 06-07-2004 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by wslam' date='Jun 7 2004, 12:21 PM
I was in the BMW showroom, sat in a 5 and a 7 and got a headache after 5 mins...the smell of the new car/leather is just too intense for me. which makes me worry...when my car does get delivered, i will have to go through the same phase. are there effective ways to get rid of that smell as soon as possible? i dont like those flowery smell thingy. very fake. i just dont want my car to smell anything...
thanks.

hahaha, what you should do is to replace the seats with old seats to solve your problem. I am complaining about the new car smell fading away after owning my E60 for 6 months. How about we swap cars? :D

wslam 06-07-2004 09:01 PM

This thread is gonna turn to one that reveals strange fetishes from all of you! :D
I can understand how the smell makes you feel that the car is 'newer' but to actually like the smell? I will really consider JDN's BEANs suggestion! :rolleyes:

Do you all like the smell of gasoline as well?

sg530 06-07-2004 09:17 PM

I love the smell of the new car. :D It smells fresh and new.
;) Now I wonder about the air filters that are in the airconditioning. I thought they would get out odors such as these just like bad outside air?
:P I love the smell of the old style hi-test or premium. Never cared for the regular, don't care for kerosene or diesel either.
:unsure: Seriously, where is the smell from? The carpet, headliner, adhesive behind all of these, the leather (I never smelled leather like this), the plastic dash?
:huh: In a couple of weeks of owning the car, I had to clean the inside of the windshield because of these volatiles. It needs it again.

heezy545i 06-08-2004 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by wslam' date='Jun 7 2004, 11:01 PM
Do you all like the smell of gasoline as well?

With the high price of gas, I was thinking about that recently. When I was a kid, I use to love going to the gas station with my parents for that fresh scent of gas.

If I go to the gas station today, I can't detect the same scent. I don't know if it's due to emission standards or whatnot, but that scent just isn't there.

paasan 06-08-2004 01:02 AM

No wonder you're all messed up :lol:
Have you ever tried glue? :D

-paasan

sg530 06-08-2004 07:25 PM

Glue is not for a refined taste. Neither is nail polish remover.
Turpentine and fresh-cut hardwood, maybe a little burnt, I like.
Here's an odd one for you, the smell of a July 4 sparkler. BTW, I am a metallurgist and like the smell of hot metal.

kigerka 06-08-2004 07:44 PM

How about a burned electronics smell.

JDN 06-08-2004 07:56 PM

Now that's right up there with beans. :(

paasan 06-09-2004 12:48 PM

The smell of burnt metal is sometimes quite nice.

However, this other week I visited a FeSi and silica/silicon smelting plant - and man - that air shouldn't be inhaled too extensively ;) Besides, the temperature was not particularly bearable either. Nor do I believe those quartz crystals or the fumes escaping from the smelting ovens are too healthy for one's lungs ;)

-paasan

Ed520 06-09-2004 10:52 PM

i kinda like the smell, feels so luxurious n nice!

Guest 06-10-2004 01:10 AM

In Japan, there are shops selling the used and unwashed undies ofcelebrities. The smeller they are, the most expensive the prices. Talk of fetish! :D