Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

is Microfiber sponge good?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 07:37 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,
I went to wal-mart a week ago, and saw a microfiber sponge to wash our car.
I never heard about it before.
I usually use a normal sponge, and it works well.
Is it ok to use the microfiber sponge? will it make any scratches?
Old 08-22-2007, 08:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i ZSP with Style 167 wheels

From what I've read, "microfiber" can be problematic (i.e., scratch or leave swirl marks) if it has polyester in it, and is not 100% cotton. Check Chinese or other foreign sourced microfiber products for polyester, and avoid it if it shows.

Lou
Old 08-23-2007, 05:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530Xi - Navigation, Premium package, Steptronic.

Originally Posted by BMWSTL' post='461367' date='Aug 22 2007, 12:36 PM
From what I've read, "microfiber" can be problematic (i.e., scratch or leave swirl marks) if it has polyester in it, and is not 100% cotton. Check Chinese or other foreign sourced microfiber products for polyester, and avoid it if it shows.

Lou
No such thing as cotton microfiber. See Wikipedia entry:Microfiber is constructed in a blend of 80/20 ratio of polyester/polyamideams. They are made from a revolutionary warp knitted thread, comprised of wedge-shaped polyester filaments with a core of nylon. The fiber's wedge shaped filaments follow surfaces, lift up dirt, and then trap the particles inside the fibers. The capillary effect between the filaments and nylon core creates a high absorbency, which in turn enables this cloth to clean and polish at the same time.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i ZSP with Style 167 wheels

Originally Posted by ExGMan' post='461680' date='Aug 23 2007, 08:38 AM
No such thing as cotton microfiber. See Wikipedia entry:Microfiber is constructed in a blend of 80/20 ratio of polyester/polyamideams. They are made from a revolutionary warp knitted thread, comprised of wedge-shaped polyester filaments with a core of nylon. The fiber's wedge shaped filaments follow surfaces, lift up dirt, and then trap the particles inside the fibers. The capillary effect between the filaments and nylon core creates a high absorbency, which in turn enables this cloth to clean and polish at the same time.
I stand corrected, thanks. I'll have to go back to the materials I read and see what I missed the first time through.

Lou
Old 08-23-2007, 10:04 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ExGMan' post='461680' date='Aug 23 2007, 06:38 AM
In other words, it is okay to use it for washing the car?
It also stated that it can be used to dry the car. but, I decided not to use it for drying due to the fact that the sponge
will absorb the shampoo that we used.
Thanks ExGMan..
Old 08-23-2007, 12:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530Xi - Navigation, Premium package, Steptronic.

Originally Posted by Yoko' post='461770' date='Aug 23 2007, 02:04 PM
In other words, it is okay to use it for washing the car?
It also stated that it can be used to dry the car. but, I decided not to use it for drying due to the fact that the sponge
will absorb the shampoo that we used.
Thanks ExGMan..
I use a microfiber sponge/mitt which I bought at Target. I use this with Mequiar's car wash to wash the car each week. After rinse/wash/rinse I use a California Jelly Blade (a kind of gentle squeegee) to sweep the water off the finish, windows, etc. If there any droplets left, I use a microfiber cloth to get those off the finish. I've gotten the process down to about 1/2 hour including the wheels. To keep the water beading on the car I use Rejex...but others swear by Zaino products. Rejex is fine for me because I've got a Titanium Silver car. I think darker colors benefit from the Zaino process.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i, Black Sapphire, SMG, M-Aerokit, Sports Package, Comfort Access, Logic 7,

You bet it's good. I use on just for my wheels so it doesn't scratch the polished alloy lip.

HAHA I cant believe you just busted out the Wikipedia, that was great
Old 08-29-2007, 10:38 AM
Senior Members

Thanks guys..
I just tried it and it worked excellent.
Love it..
Old 09-20-2007, 07:56 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For washing I like to use something with longer fibers so any debris gets pulled further away from the contact surface.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:01 AM
Members

And it is excellent for removing bug stains !
Just use hot water (and perhaps a drop of carwash) and rub the stain gently.
It disappears like magic

I use both a cloth and a sponge for washing. And a big microfiber towel for drying.
For the interior - just the cloth and plain water.

And the biggest benefit is that it?s friendly for the environment cause you don?t have to use that much carwash/detergent/cleaners.

But beware, not all microfiber products are good. Some cheap cloth?s shouldn?t be called microfiber at all cause the fibers are to thick.

Quick Reply: is Microfiber sponge good?