Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

messed up my paint bcoz of claying

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 05:15 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys,
I clayed my car. That was the first time I clayed a car.
I've used a lot of lubricant. but, after I wiped off the lubricant, I saw some scratches on the paint.
What should I do now?
I've waxed it, it looks better now. but, it's still there.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thank You.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by Yoko' post='490000' date='Nov 4 2007, 09:15 PM
Guys,
I clayed my car. That was the first time I clayed a car.
I've used a lot of lubricant. but, after I wiped off the lubricant, I saw some scratches on the paint.
What should I do now?
I've waxed it, it looks better now. but, it's still there.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thank You.
Did you drop the clay at all? You're supposed to "remold" the clay every section or so, to get a fresh new face of the clay. Did you check the clay after every section and see what kind of dirt you were picking up? It sounds like you must have had a lot of contaminants on your paint.

I would use a scratch remover or intensive polish with an orange cutting pad on an orbital. That should get it out. Go over the section until the polish is to a light haze (2-3 minutes). Also, make sure you prep the Orange pad with some detail spray, prior to placing it on that area. And make sure you smear the pad with the polish over the 2'x2' area FIRST, before turning the orbital on and working the area. Since this is a cutting pad, you don't want to cause swirl marks from the pad that has no polish on it. Make sense?

How deep is the scratch? Can you feel it with your finger, when you run it over?
Old 11-04-2007, 07:59 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='490018' date='Nov 4 2007, 06:43 PM
Did you drop the clay at all? You're supposed to "remold" the clay every section or so, to get a fresh new face of the clay. Did you check the clay after every section and see what kind of dirt you were picking up? It sounds like you must have had a lot of contaminants on your paint.

I would use a scratch remover or intensive polish with an orange cutting pad on an orbital. That should get it out. Go over the section until the polish is to a light haze (2-3 minutes). Also, make sure you prep the Orange pad with some detail spray, prior to placing it on that area. And make sure you smear the pad with the polish over the 2'x2' area FIRST, before turning the orbital on and working the area. Since this is a cutting pad, you don't want to cause swirl marks from the pad that has no polish on it. Make sense?

How deep is the scratch? Can you feel it with your finger, when you run it over?
+1
Old 11-05-2007, 07:12 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='490018' date='Nov 4 2007, 06:43 PM

Thank You for your quick response and PM Calton.
I did reshaped the clay bar, and the clay bar is still new, never used.
I didn't drop it too. It probably because I use a lil bit too much pressure.
The scratches is not too deep. It can only be seen from a direct sunlight.
I will apply scratchX today to remove the scratches.
Anyway, What is an orbital?
Thank you for your time Calton.
I appreciate it.