Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Looking for an opinion on the detail products I bought

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 01:36 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: April 2007 520D M Sport LCI. Automatic. Sunroof. BMW Bluetooth. Deep Sea Blue Metallic, Natural Brown Leather.

All,

Thanks to Keith_84 and a couple of others I have gathered together a set of products ready for my first machine polish.
The car is an April '07 build LCI with Deep Sea Blue metallic. Despite my careful wash regime, 24,000 miles & 12 months have taken their toll on the paintwork. I have some light haze & water spots on the bonnet (hood) that were there when I bought the car.

I am happy with the process in terms of wax removal, clay, wash, machine polish, seal & wax. But wanted to double check that I have the appropriate tools for the job.... here is what I propose to use:

Wax Removal: Meguiars All Purpose Cleaner
Clay: Meguiars
Wash: CG Citrus Wash

Megiuars Dual Action Polisher with;
1) Meg's Mirror Glaze W8006 Pad & Menzerna Final Finish
2) Meg's Mirror Glaze W9006 Pad & Jetseal 109 (2 coats)

Collinite applied by hand as final wax. (2 coats)

I am a little worried that perhaps the polish I have bought will not be aggressive enough, but I am being cautious in case I damage the clear coat as this is my first time using the machine polisher!

Any of you experience polishers out there have any advice?

Thanks.
Art
Old 04-14-2008, 03:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 530i , Silver with leather Air Con iDrive 17" Breyton Rims with Dunlop Sp Sport tyres (M-Tech Bodykit and rims WANTED) Alfa Romeo 147 TS1.6 , Black with Air Con 17" Multi Spoke alloys with Bridgestone RE040 tyres Toyota MR-S 1.8 VVTI , Lagoon Blue with Red leather Air Con 15" standard alloys with Toyo tyres Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTI, Lagoon Blue, Air Con, 16" Standard alloys with Kuhmo KU31, EBC Green Stuff

What a start Art It looks very very good indeed

I think the wash, clay, sealant and wax are absolutely fine
The only thing you need to be awared is the Menzerna FF may not have enough cut to remove the water marks or deeper swirls, as our paint is rock hard!

You probably need to step up to the Menz 3.02 IP with cutting pad (W7006) in order to remove water marks & swirls, or even Menz power gloss in some exterme cases.

Despite i said that above, i think you are absolutely right to use the polishing pad with Menz FF first to see how it goes Always use the least abrassive first
Only step up if it doesnt work, and the DA polisher is pretty safe overall, just be careful when you polishing the edge as they tend to be thiner than other surface.

One more tip is get yourself a site light (They are not expensive), they are very good for spotting swirls and keep you warm at the same time
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/11281/Lighti...Site-Light-240V

Here is a complete DA polishing guide conducted by Dave KG, it has got everything that you want to know about how to use DA polisher including the speed when polishing and stuffs, a must have guide!!!

Anyway here it is:
(PDA file web link)

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/imag...dapolishing.pdf

Goodluck and we are waiting to see some pics Art
Old 04-14-2008, 06:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: April 2007 520D M Sport LCI. Automatic. Sunroof. BMW Bluetooth. Deep Sea Blue Metallic, Natural Brown Leather.

Originally Posted by keith84_uk' post='561106' date='Apr 14 2008, 12:32 PM
Goodluck and we are waiting to see some pics Art
Have been waiting for a weekend where I have the time and the weather suits... has to happen sooner or later!
Will be sure to take lots of pics when I eventually get this done.