Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

leather care

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012 | 12:50 PM
Members

I have an 07 550i and wad wondering what people use if anything for their leather seats? bought car used and it has 82k on it and just was wondering.
Old 06-21-2012 | 12:59 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535 xi sport package ,cold weather,navigation etc..

lexol works great for me nice rich look no stiky residue
Old 06-21-2012 | 01:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 AW N52 with sports package & premium package; natural brown interior MODs: Orion V2s 3000K H8 Yellow Fogs Matte Black Kidney Grills 20" Miro 111 Hankook V12 Tires H&R Sport Springs Special coding via Simon (dbl flash hazards, digital velocity, etc.) LED Side Markers from Trinity Autosports LED License Plate Lights from Trinity Autosports Carbon Delete BMC Air Filter RPI Scoop RPI GT Exhaust Future MODs: Mtech Kit KW Variant 2 Coilovers CIC Retrofit Upgrade Audio System

Griot's Leather Care
My link
Old 06-21-2012 | 01:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

Originally Posted by wtlb
Griot's Leather Care
My link

Man I wan this!

Do you have any after pics?
Old 06-22-2012 | 02:37 AM
Members

leatherique is another option...
Old 06-22-2012 | 06:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

BMW brand
Old 06-22-2012 | 07:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i 2004, SMG, Sport, Nav, Logic-7, Bluetooth phone retrofit

Originally Posted by BMW535xia
leatherique is another option...
I would second that. Leatherique has everything you need.
Old 06-22-2012 | 08:46 AM
Members

awesome guys thanks!
Old 06-22-2012 | 09:34 AM
RTR
Members

Nobody uses Zaino? I'm surprised
Old 06-24-2012 | 09:15 AM
Members
Senior Members

Like many car enthusiasts, until recently, I took great care in choosing the product to "feed" the leather in my cars. And the Dakota leather in my 545i was no exception.

However, using Leatherique on my Dakota leather left a greasy, clammy surface (even after finishing up with Pristine Clean).
Nothing like the results I used to get on my 1989 Jaguar XJ6 with Connolly leather or on my living room sofa, which soaks up and loves Leatherique.

After some investigation I learned that auto manufacturers have moved away from semi-aniline leather toward pigmented leather. The advantages of pigmented leather for the manufacturer are lower cost as less than perfect hides with scars and marks can be used and still create a uniform look. The advantages for the car owner are a clean uniform look, resistance to staining and no need to regularly condition the leather to prevent it from drying and cracking. The other day I happened to be visiting a body shop that was restoring a 50's Rolls Royce. I felt the seats and they were hard as a rock. Semi-aniline leather definitely needs regular care. Some manufacturers of very high-end automobiles still use semi-aniline leather that are full dyed natural leather with just a thin protective coating, but it is rare. Lexus offers the use of semi-aniline as an upgrade option, but warns of the extra care required.

Back to pigmented leather. To test which type of leather your car has use the water drop test. Apply a drop of clean water to the leather seat. If the drop does not quickly (10 seconds) soak into the leather and temporarily stain the leather darker then it is pigmented coated leather.

Pigmented leather is undyed leather that is coated with a pigment (like a paint) to provide a solid color, then a uniform "grain" is usually pressed into it for appearance and then a protective coating is applied. This product is used in 98% of automobiles that have leather today. There are different levels of quality. The quality of the base leather and the quality of the coating on the leather is what allows a pigmented leather in a high end car like a BMW or Infiniti to still feel supple and natural, while an entry level car's leather is stiff and vinyl-like in feel.

The protective coating on pigmented leather prevents liquids from staining the leather, and prevents moisture from leaving the leather which over time would allow it to grow brittle. But equally, the protective coating prevents leather conditioners from reaching the leather.

So, if leather conditioners, designed for semi-aniline leather don't work on pigmented leather, then how do we care for pigmented leather?
1. Vacuum regularly as dirt, small rocks, sand and grit all act as abrasives to wear and dull the protective coating on the leather and the webbing between panels.
2. Use mild soap to remove soil and heavy dust or if it just has a light coating of dust a damp towel with water only.
3. Apply a product regularly that is designed to keep the protective coating clear, flexible and conditioned so it doesn't crack. Although it feels very strange to an aniline leather traditionalist (oh the heresy!), those products are vinyl protectors.

There are many good vinyl protectors on the market. Many products sold today as leather protectors or conditioners actually are vinyl protectors directed at the pigmented leather market, and do a good job keeping the protective coating in good condition.

One of my favorite dedicated vinyl protectors is 303 Products Aerospace Protectant, which not only conditions and protects, but contains UV inhibitors which prevent clouding of the clear protective coating on pigmented leather.

Do I miss semi-aniline leather? Yes. When properly conditioned and maintained it is like a baby's bottom. But the vast majority of automobile owners are better off with low maintenance pigmented leather. With no care it stays looking pretty good and food and drink spills wipe off with no staining. And pigmented leather, which allows the use of lesser grade skins, makes leather affordable today in many more applications. Semi-aniline leather, where only the cleanest skins with little or no imperfections can be used, is extremely expensive for automobile use.

I think there will be a resurgence of semi-aniline leather, probably in situations where the customer can be sold on the "natural look" of imperfections (fully dyeing the leather does not hide imperfections like pigment coating does). Some of this has already been done by Detroit as options in high end trucks to give a natural rustic western feel. I for one wouldn't mind the uniqueness of leather with scars and marks, knowing that I could enjoy the natural feel of the leather and not pay an arm and a leg for it. But ....... then no eating or drinking in the car.

I now reserve my Leatherique (which is a fantastic product) for aniline leather.

Quick Reply: leather care