5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   Detailing Forum (https://5series.net/forums/detailing-forum-15/)
-   -   How do you plan on taking care of your car this winter? (https://5series.net/forums/detailing-forum-15/how-do-you-plan-taking-care-your-car-winter-66000/)

E60714 11-23-2008 04:50 PM

So this will be my first winter for my E60, and I was just wondering how some people were going to be dealing with most of the car washes being shut down due to the cold, road salt build up, and other forms of dirt getting on the car. Would the dealers take care of it if I brought it in for the complimentary wash?

The reason I ask is because I hear alot of car washes aren't 4WD-friendly so I wouldn't want to take it there. As for me washing the car, I guess I would need to read up on how to properly clean it, including drying it off, possibly waxing it (I know you have to rub in a certain direction, use "this" for "that") and I still wish I learned that as soon as I got the car during the summer.

But I saw another E60 at the neighborhood Walgreen's, probably a 550, and it was just shining, where as I came home a couple of nights ago to where it looks like it hasn't been washed since....mid-July. Sad, I know. But the one week I'm home, I'll take care of it.

So how would I go about doing it without ruining the paint, etc.?

baje1 11-23-2008 05:05 PM

uhhhh

baje1 11-23-2008 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by E60714' post='729407' date='Nov 23 2008, 08:50 PM
So this will be my first winter for my E60, and I was just wondering how some people were going to be dealing with most of the car washes being shut down due to the cold, road salt build up, and other forms of dirt getting on the car. Would the dealers take care of it if I brought it in for the complimentary wash?

The reason I ask is because I hear alot of car washes aren't 4WD-friendly so I wouldn't want to take it there. As for me washing the car, I guess I would need to read up on how to properly clean it, including drying it off, possibly waxing it (I know you have to rub in a certain direction, use "this" for "that") and I still wish I learned that as soon as I got the car during the summer.

But I saw another E60 at the neighborhood Walgreen's, probably a 550, and it was just shining, where as I came home a couple of nights ago to where it looks like it hasn't been washed since....mid-July. Sad, I know. But the one week I'm home, I'll take care of it.

So how would I go about doing it without ruining the paint, etc.?

I'll be givin it the upmost care by...STICKIN IT IN THE GARAGE!!!!! It's easier and more comforting to just drive a "throwaway" car in the winter then to expose my baby to the elements.....do I sound a little
Mad 4 my e60?....well I am!!!!LOL! ...wich snow belt are u located in?

TexaZ3 11-23-2008 05:15 PM

I'm in Texas, so I'll be driving it. Most likely every day. :-)

E60714 11-23-2008 05:16 PM

The car will be in Chicago. So not much different from NY.

baje1 11-23-2008 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by E60714' post='729421' date='Nov 23 2008, 09:16 PM
The car will be in Chicago. So not much different from NY.

My advice is to take 1,2,3,4,5,6 grand, whatever u can afford (and are willing to be seen in) and buy a beater to just drive for the winter season. You not only conserve the structural integrity of your bimma but also retain the miles.

e60insd 11-23-2008 05:32 PM

To take care of my E60 i plan to continue living in San Diego.

Ha snow.

EBMCS03 11-23-2008 05:37 PM

TX SD haha u guys are missing out on the nice white fluffy stuff. Thats why Co might be a great place to live. Snow a few weeks of the year sunshine the rest and cheap cost of living.

baje1 11-23-2008 05:52 PM

:mad:

Originally Posted by e60insd' post='729429' date='Nov 23 2008, 09:32 PM
To take care of my E60 i plan to continue living in San Diego.

Ha snow.

:mad:

DRANGED 11-23-2008 06:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Did someone say salt?? This is 15 minutes on the roads in MN during the winter. Welcome to my nightmare.

I go to a car wash a couple times a week. I'd rather deal with some light swirls/scratches from the car wash than deal with rust.