Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

HELP!!How to properly wax black car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 07:01 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Mine is jet black. I'd love to wax it but affraid I will damage the paint. can you guys provide step by step direction to wax the car? especially those with black car.

I am considered myself very very rookie in waxing a car. Please advice me from teh beginning.

thanks a lot guys.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by mlist84' date='Sep 3 2005, 10:01 PM
Hi,

Mine is jet black. I'd love to wax it but affraid I will damage the paint. can you guys provide step by step direction to wax the car? especially those with black car.

I am considered myself very very rookie in waxing a car. Please advice me from teh beginning.?

thanks a lot guys.
[snapback]166724[/snapback]
I have taken care of my black Z06 for over 3 years. I consider myself to be a MOB (Master of Black). Still, Black is very difficult.

In general, not on Black specifically, go to the Zaino site and see what Sal Zaino says detailing cars. And, see what Groit's says.

The first thing to know, and apparently you do, is that even looking at a black car the wrong way will scratch it. In other words, no matter how innocent the action you are planning on taking seems, it probably will leave a scratch on the car. Believe me. Never even touch a black car if you can help it.

Be aware that black cars always look great in the shade. And, they always look at least mildly horrible when scrutinized too closely in direct sunlight. Never look at a black car closely in the direct sunlight, under a florescent light, or with a halogen light.

On to waxing, etc. There are many possibilities. Here is one set.

1. Prior to washing dust your door sills, etc. so any dust/dirt does not get wet (see below on dusting and on removing dirt/dust without washing). Wash and wax only in the shade. Never use any kind of cloth/towel or a black car without being sure there are no potential scratchers lodged in the material (eyeball it, and give it some good pops). If you drop a cloth/towel, then do the same.

2. Rinse, rinse, and rinse the car before you wash. Wash only with automobile soap--never detergent, etc. Except, you can use Dawn occassionally if you want to strip the wax. (You might consider using the Mr. Clean system since such a system is the best way to apply soapy water and should at least reduce the spotting). Use the softest wash mitt you can find when washing. BMW sells an excellent one--as does Griot's. Don't ever scrub. As you wash, go back and rinse always keeping all parts of the car wet if you can to reduce spotting. After washing, rinse, rinse, and rinse. Don't ever let your hose touch the paint.

3. Use the best micro fiber towels you can find to dry (e.g., I use Groit's; you should have at least 4); never rub hard when drying. Gently use two towels at once trying to dry as quickly as possible to avoid spotting, but without taking chances. Blowers don't get enough water off quicky enough in my opinion. Don't ever remove dirt that didn't come off when washing while drying. Expect the car to look bad in the sun no matter how hard you have tried to wash it and dry it thoroughly. You always need to follow up with at least a good quick wax--e.g., Meguiars.

4. Dust every panel before you wax it. You can use a California Car duster if you have sucked all the crud out of it by leaving it on a newspaper for about a week--turning the newspaper daily. Don't ever use a new duster on a black car. It will leave residure that eventually will look bad. If you see some dirt you missed when washing, don't ever wax over it. Remove it very gently using quick detailer and nothing harsher than a purely cotton cloth or towel (I use the cotton cloths from Griot's with quick detailer). You can also dust, etc., with white purely cotton towels. Regardless of what they say most are not pure cotton. I use Fieldcrest only hoping that they still are pure cotton. In the case of bugs and tar that didn't come off with washing, about all you can do is use bug and tar remover very gently. Griot's has a good product for this purpose. Don't let bugs and tar build up.

5. Apply a good wax in a very thin even coat. Currently, I use applicators that come with Mequiars NXT liquid wax (and this wax itself), but there are many good waxes/applicators. I do one panel at a time regardless of what the wax container says. I remove the wax from the last panel after I apply it to the next panel to minimize the dust that settles in the interim. Remove wax only with a cloth meant to remove wax. I use Groit's wax-removal cloths. I would then apply/remove another coat or so the same way. Expect to miss getting some of the wax off. If you get tired, then stop. You will make mistakes/take chances when you are tired.

6. Don't be surprised if you are somewhat disappointed in how you car looks in direct sunlight--at least from some angles. Don't be surprised if you see small scratches. And, hope that you don't see any scratches that you can feel with your fingernail (gently, gently). A trip to an excellent detailer is in order if you see a scratch you can't live with. Try to ignore them as removing them always takes a toll on your clear-coat depth.

7. Buff your car in the direct sunlight with a clean wax removal cloth after waxing--removing any left over wax. Dust your car before buffing. Never buff a spot if you see dirt or dust on it or if it is in the shade--where your car will look great even if dusty or dirty (to a point).

8. Don't be surprised how quickly you car starts to look gnarly. Expect to scratch your car. In 3 years (actually much earlier), expect at least many small scratches. You won't be able to get even small scratches out yourself with the typical polishes sold over the counter. Don't use rubbing compound.

9. Buy a silver car.

10. Post back if you want to know about polishing and maintaining the looks of a washed/waxed black car.

Good luck. I'll be around if you need anything.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i Jet Black on Grey Interior--- Tint: Sides 20% Rear Windshield 5% Front Windshield 35% Wheels: Zenetti Five's 20" by 8.5(front) 20" by 10(rear)-- Tires: Pirelli Asimmetrico 245/35/20(front) 285/30/20(rear)-- Body: Hamann Full Front Spoiler, Rieger Side Skirts, Rieger Rear Apron, AC Schnitzer Trunk Wing Interior: AC Schnitzer Pedal Set and E-Break Springs: H&R Sport Springs-- Audio: 2 12" Kicker L7's with a Rockford Fosgate 1501bd Amp With Custom Trunk Enclosure SOON TO COME: -M5 Mirrors -M5 Trunk Finsher -Brembo GT Big Brake Kit -Hamann 6 Series Front Spliter Molded -Hamann Roof Wing -Full Custom Sound System with TV's

Originally Posted by donv' date='Sep 4 2005, 12:24 AM
9. Buy a silver car.
Good luck.
[snapback]166737[/snapback]
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA thats gotta be the best advice I heard!!!!
Old 09-04-2005, 02:07 AM
Senior Members

You can see my procedure and products on this thread:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=12532

A very long but rewarding process.

For the monthly wax, l just skip the quick-clay & polish steps.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:15 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BMW#5' date='Sep 4 2005, 06:07 AM
You can see my procedure and products on this thread:

[snapback]166787[/snapback]
WOW that was clean as a whistle! Looks great, btw.. what is the extended lighting package?
Old 09-04-2005, 07:49 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jackbutler' date='Sep 4 2005, 05:15 PM
[quote name='BMW#5' date='Sep 4 2005, 06:07 AM']You can see my procedure and products on this thread:

[snapback]166787[/snapback]
WOW that was clean as a whistle! Looks great, btw.. what is the extended lighting package?
[snapback]166816[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks!
Extended lights package =
~lights under wing mirrors
~lights in the internaI doors handle recesses
~Iights in the front door storage compartments

If you do a search you will find a few threads with a nice illustration of all the additional lights.