Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Hand Polish/Scratch Remover

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 07:07 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 E60 530i Color: Jet Black/Black Anthracite STEP | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 EXTERIOR: M-Tech Kit | M5 Mirrors, Trunk Finisher | Jet Black Kidney Surrounds | Madico Charcool Tint 54%, 35% LIGHTING: Euro-Headlights | Euro-LCI Tail Lights | AiB V3.0 | Solaris Invisi-bulbs | OEM LED Plate Lights PERFORMANCE: Porterfield R4-S Brake Pads | K&N Air Filter WHEELS & SUSPENSION: Work VS-XX 20x9, 20x10 | Toyo T1R 245/30/20, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 295/25/20 | KW V2 Coilovers | Rogue Engineering 15mm Spacers
Smile

So check this out. I'm driving in downtown LA going west on 5th St. where all the transients hang out. It's a 3-lane one-way street. On the far right lane there's a bus parked and I'm going about 30mph and some dumb ass jumps out from behind the bus and runs across my lane (keep in mind this in the between lights and nowhere near a crosswalk). I slammed on my brakes to avoid hitting him and he jumps up and clips the driver's side of my hood with the heel of his shoe. I look over and he's strolling like nothing happened! I was gonna roll down my window and yell, "HEY ASSHOLE!" but decided to continue driving since he wasn't hurt and I probably would have gotten jumped by the 40-50 bums that were watching yelling, "oOoooOoooOh!"

So now I have about a foot and half long, paint-deep scuff along the driver's side of my hood. Have any of you guys had good experiences with certain hand polishes or scratch removers? I tried some Turtle Wax fine scratch remover, but that crap didn't work. :thumbsdown: I'm trying to avoid having to take it to someone with a machine buffer, so please help guys! Thanks!
Old 06-12-2007, 07:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i / Black Sapphire Metallic / 6spd. manual / Sports package

Originally Posted by KnIgHtCoM' post='435170' date='Jun 12 2007, 08:07 PM
So check this out. I'm driving in downtown LA going west on 5th St. where all the transients hang out. It's a 3-lane one-way street. On the far right lane there's a bus parked and I'm going about 30mph and some dumb ass jumps out from behind the bus and runs across my lane (keep in mind this in the between lights and nowhere near a crosswalk). I slammed on my brakes to avoid hitting him and he jumps up and clips the driver's side of my hood with the heel of his shoe. I look over and he's strolling like nothing happened! I was gonna roll down my window and yell, "HEY ASSHOLE!" but decided to continue driving since he wasn't hurt and I probably would have gotten jumped by the 40-50 bums that were watching yelling, "oOoooOoooOh!"

So now I have about a foot and half long, paint-deep scuff along the driver's side of my hood. Have any of you guys had good experiences with certain hand polishes or scratch removers? I tried some Turtle Wax fine scratch remover, but that crap didn't work. :thumbsdown: I'm trying to avoid having to take it to someone with a machine buffer, so please help guys! Thanks!
Sup Ryan... WTF... That's why I hate driving in L.A. Crazy people out there. I have experience in detailing and Turtle Wax is no good... It really depends on how bad your scratch is... Examine it closely if you can. If the scratch has gone through the paint, you'll probably need the hood re-painted. If it's only gone through some of the clear, depending on how deep the scratch is, you can buff it out by hand or machine. By hand, you really can't do that much except get the hairline scratches out. Anything deeper than that, usually requires a orbital or rotary buffer. But trust me, it's not as bad as it sounds. If you take it to a trusted shop, they can remove the scratch and make the car look like new (if the scratch has not gone through the paint). Hope this helps.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:50 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

wow crazy. at least it wasnt worse, like if he actually hit the car with his body and fell to the ground and made a scene, which might put you at fault since it's a pedestrian. so it's ok, it's fixable. good luck with your hood
Old 06-12-2007, 08:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 530i Color: Jet Black/Black Anthracite STEP | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 EXTERIOR: M-Tech Kit | M5 Mirrors, Trunk Finisher | Jet Black Kidney Surrounds | Madico Charcool Tint 54%, 35% LIGHTING: Euro-Headlights | Euro-LCI Tail Lights | AiB V3.0 | Solaris Invisi-bulbs | OEM LED Plate Lights PERFORMANCE: Porterfield R4-S Brake Pads | K&N Air Filter WHEELS & SUSPENSION: Work VS-XX 20x9, 20x10 | Toyo T1R 245/30/20, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 295/25/20 | KW V2 Coilovers | Rogue Engineering 15mm Spacers

Originally Posted by superhung' post='435184
good luck with your hood
Thanks wEEzy.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

I'd say Zaino Z-PC fusion, but I hate to say it, but this sounds like body work. that really sucks man. I feel for you. but don't worry, what comes around, goes around...not that this guys life could get any worse!

PS - Always worth a rotary buffer, whether a bum hits your car or not! LOL! Get the Griot's Random Orbital. It's done wonders on my jet black car.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:31 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cmansbimmer' post='435196' date='Jun 12 2007, 09:13 PM
I hate to say it, but this sounds like body work...Get the Griot's Random Orbital. It's done wonders on my jet black car.
Ahhh! Don't say that Calton! Where did you pick up your orbital and for how much? Random orbitals oscillate, not rotate in circles right?
Old 06-12-2007, 08:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i / Black Sapphire Metallic / 6spd. manual / Sports package

Originally Posted by KnIgHtCoM' post='435200' date='Jun 12 2007, 09:31 PM
Ahhh! Don't say that Calton! Where did you pick up your orbital and for how much? Random orbitals oscillate, not rotate in circles right?
Porter Cable 7424
Old 06-12-2007, 08:59 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by KnIgHtCoM' post='435191' date='Jun 12 2007, 09:01 PM
Yo Pat, yeah that's what I was afraid of. I don't think it made it to the paint, just deep into the clear coat. I was hoping for a DIY solution so I didn't have to take it to a shop (and pay ). Any recommendations on products I can use to hand buff (or can I borrow your shit )? Is it worth it to invest in my own rotary buffer?
Thanks wEEzy.

Hahaha...I'll check my stash and see if I have anything good for you but I really need to see some pics first. Whatever you do, don't buy a rotary buffer... If you've never used one, you'll go RIGHT through the paint in a blink of an eye.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:33 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by superhung' post='435209' date='Jun 12 2007, 09:59 PM
Hahaha...I'll check my stash and see if I have anything good for you but I really need to see some pics first. Whatever you do, don't buy a rotary buffer... If you've never used one, you'll go RIGHT through the paint in a blink of an eye.
Did you say stash?! Yeah I'm gonna try and rub it out on Thursday after I wash my car and see if some wax will fill in the fine scratches. Hopefully it'll be livable. I'll try and take some pics tomorrow, it was too dark by the time I got home today.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:59 AM
Senior Members

Check out this link, where I posted some before and after comparison pics using Scratch-X.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=13309

Quick Reply: Hand Polish/Scratch Remover