Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Foam Cannons ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 02:03 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate to be a party pooper but I just bought an AutoBrite "Daddy" foam lance and 5 litres of Super Snow Foam.

Can I generate shaving foam consistency foam: Yes
Does it make cleaning the car any eaiser: No (in fact it's more effort and time consuming)
Is the car still covered in dirt/traffic film, even after a long dwell time for the foam: Yes
Could I just rinse after a good old soak of foam and be happy that the car is clean: No
Do I have to get the bucket and sponge/mitt out like I always used to: Yes
Is there a slight chance the dirt has been softened so there is less chance of marring the paintwork: maybe

So whilst Snow Foam looks dramatic on all those YouTube videos, the harsh reality is that it makes very marginal difference to keeping your car clean.

There, I said it. And that's after spending the thick end of ?100 on a lance, foam, adapter for Karcher H/D series and shipping.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 530i , Silver with leather Air Con iDrive 17" Breyton Rims with Dunlop Sp Sport tyres (M-Tech Bodykit and rims WANTED) Alfa Romeo 147 TS1.6 , Black with Air Con 17" Multi Spoke alloys with Bridgestone RE040 tyres Toyota MR-S 1.8 VVTI , Lagoon Blue with Red leather Air Con 15" standard alloys with Toyo tyres Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTI, Lagoon Blue, Air Con, 16" Standard alloys with Kuhmo KU31, EBC Green Stuff

Originally Posted by mdouglas' post='534172' date='Feb 21 2008, 11:03 PM
So whilst Snow Foam looks dramatic on all those YouTube videos, the harsh reality is that it makes very marginal difference to keeping your car clean.

There, I said it. And that's after spending the thick end of ?100 on a lance, foam, adapter for Karcher H/D series and shipping.
True! But the reason of foaming the car is get as much as dirts & grimes off the car before you actually touching it or wash it, it reduces the possibility of scratching the car and creating swirls. Its all for the long term benefits and reducing the need of polishing, time will proof and i think your ?100ish is well spend. I think you know what i mean, and that's why you will spend ?100 on these stuffs in the first place and not paying ?5 for the Tesco car wash.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by mdouglas' post='534172' date='Feb 21 2008, 07:03 PM
I hate to be a party pooper but I just bought an AutoBrite "Daddy" foam lance and 5 litres of Super Snow Foam.

Can I generate shaving foam consistency foam: Yes
Does it make cleaning the car any eaiser: No (in fact it's more effort and time consuming)
Is the car still covered in dirt/traffic film, even after a long dwell time for the foam: Yes
Could I just rinse after a good old soak of foam and be happy that the car is clean: No
Do I have to get the bucket and sponge/mitt out like I always used to: Yes
Is there a slight chance the dirt has been softened so there is less chance of marring the paintwork: maybe

I've got to admit that I in your camp on this.......... I only guess it softens the tough dirt prior to hand washing............. something I've found extremely useful is the firemans nossel . It really blasts the tough dirt off prior to Foaming and it has a completely adjustable spray for rinsing etc . I got it from Autogeek.................Cheers
Old 03-05-2008, 05:58 PM
Members

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='533830' date='Feb 20 2008, 10:18 PM
Do you own a powerwasher? I happen to own one for cleaning the outside of my house. Anyway, if you do, it comes with a bottle attachment for soap. This too, works great and really gets the soap nice and sudsy and allows it to stick to your car. Just thinking this could be a good alternative if you have one, while you wait for FMINUS' design...

I use an electric powerwasher. IMHO, they have just the right amount of power to clean without endangering the paint. You can foam very well and then I use the power washer to shoot off the foam. I then refoam with the power washer and go to work with my hand washing of the car. Then a power wash again.

The gas powered powerwashers have significantly more power. I have used them on my house. I would be cautious with them on my car.

A power washer works great to clean out the wheel wells and the wheels...wheel cleaner first ...then the power washer!. It really helps to decrease the amount of hand rubbing that is necessary for a good job.