Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Flex or PC?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008 | 04:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Alpine white

Need help guys..should I buy a flex or a pc..and which model..i was looking on autogeek..and there too many packages to choose from..can someone tell me which one they would recommend..Also..want to get a foam cannon..which one is good ?help..lol

Thanks
Old 07-01-2008 | 04:37 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: 2003 Audi RS6/2002 Porsche 911 Turbo/2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser

Originally Posted by wlkonacloud' post='614003' date='Jul 1 2008, 08:32 PM
Need help guys..should I buy a flex or a pc..and which model..i was looking on autogeek..and there too many packages to choose from..can someone tell me which one they would recommend..Also..want to get a foam cannon..which one is good ?help..lol

Thanks
let me know if we can help you out.

detailersdomain.com is doing 18% off right now
Old 07-01-2008 | 04:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 530i , Silver with leather Air Con iDrive 17" Breyton Rims with Dunlop Sp Sport tyres (M-Tech Bodykit and rims WANTED) Alfa Romeo 147 TS1.6 , Black with Air Con 17" Multi Spoke alloys with Bridgestone RE040 tyres Toyota MR-S 1.8 VVTI , Lagoon Blue with Red leather Air Con 15" standard alloys with Toyo tyres Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTI, Lagoon Blue, Air Con, 16" Standard alloys with Kuhmo KU31, EBC Green Stuff

If you never used any polishers before, i would say get the PC.
As i've heard flex DA 3401 polisher are very similar to the rotary

give phil@DD a ring and i think he will sort you out
Old 07-01-2008 | 06:30 PM
Members

definitely buy it from Phil; I just got my 3rd order from phil today and he ships the fastest and has a great selection of products! (Thanks Phil)

I would buy a PC if this is your first time; after doing a few cars you will want something with more Juice, then call Phil agian.
Old 07-01-2008 | 07:43 PM
Members

My Ride: '89 BMW E34 525i M20

The flex is far from a rotary, but has a very minor rotary action in addition to the large random orbit.

From my experience with the flex so far, it's an even better platform to learn on before the big step to rotary work.

It is a random orbital, and it also has a very strong 8mm orbit, which is unheard of. The rotary action is very slow. It's hard to explain, but it's not the rotary action that cuts, but repositions the pad and just barely helps break down polishes composed of diminishing abrasives.

You won't burn paint with it, it has around 25% more correction ability than a PC in the proper hands, and as stated earlier - provides a better starting point if you feel you'll eventually buy a rotary. Either way, it's more powerful than a PC, but quite easy to learn how to control.

Oh, before you use it - make sure you prop it properly! Remove the backing plate, put mineral oil on the felt ring (you'll see it) and tighten the pad on the machine very firmly. Apperently the factory had some issues tightening them, so they got loose, rubbed up against the plastic which melted...smoked, splattered hot plastic on paint, caused the machine to come to a stinky, noisy, grinding halt.

No problem if you properly prep the machine like I have, so don't worry about it.
Just keep the light pressure in the center of the machine, and don't use the edge of the pad for polishing. The less stress on the backing plate, the better. Let alone pressure on the pad with this machine will induce holograms, so it's good rotary practice.

In terms of pads, don't buy anything beyond orange CCS. Anything below it is perfect. I use mostly 6.5" whites, but occasionally orange. Yellow is out of the question, black is mandatory, and green especially useful. For correction, use purple foamed wool. You'll be happy.

It is 3x as much $ as the PC at the very least, so don't expect it to be an easy decision.
Still though, I will highly recommend it, and I started with a PC eons ago. I use it almost every detail in conjunction with my other machines. Metabo pe12-175 and my good ol PC7424.
OVERALL... THE COST IS JUSTIFIED. - Words of experience. It's an excellent suppliment to my Metabo rotary, my panzer tank.
Old 07-02-2008 | 05:58 AM
Members

My Ride: E53 E60 E92

Originally Posted by wlkonacloud' post='614003' date='Jul 1 2008, 08:32 PM

Thanks
Got my Flex3401 last month or so ago, love it.
From little experience, this polsihing business is work and becoming chores after about 4 hours. I can't imagine spending 50% or even double the time more (what the concensus is compare to PorterCable).

BTW, if Phil gives out 18% on Flex3401, it'll be crazy not to grab one.
Also since you have LCI E60, I'll stick to Menzerna PO106FF or PO85RD polish, unless you have really serious swirl marks from taking your baby to car wash all these times.
Old 07-02-2008 | 08:29 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by HPIA4v2' post='614348' date='Jul 2 2008, 09:58 AM
Got my Flex3401 last month or so ago, love it.
From little experience, this polsihing business is work and becoming chores after about 4 hours. I can't imagine spending 50% or even double the time more (what the concensus is compare to PorterCable).

BTW, if Phil gives out 18% on Flex3401, it'll be crazy not to grab one.
Also since you have LCI E60, I'll stick to Menzerna PO106FF or PO85RD polish, unless you have really serious swirl marks from taking your baby to car wash all these times.
Im pretty fanatical when it comes to my baby...I never bring or let anyone else touch my car..always wash my car myself with two buckets..and two mitts...washing my mitt constantly after every panel..I always did everything by hand cause I was always afraid of using a machine..no swirls on my car...when I first got my car..I clayed followed by Klasse AIO..followed by 2 coats of jet seal...followed by 2 coats of pinnacle souveran..

I think im outside washing my car almost everyday..my neighbors think I am nuts..I just can't stand to it see looking less then perfect I think I need some meds for my OCD..lol
thanks everyone for your help
Old 07-02-2008 | 10:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

I purchased the Ultimate Detailing Machine from Autogeek as well as the pad package and I think it works great..............good luck and be prepared for at least a 4 hour detailing session..................... the results are awesome
Old 07-02-2008 | 11:15 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='614591' date='Jul 2 2008, 02:42 PM
I purchased the Ultimate Detailing Machine from Autogeek as well as the pad package and I think it works great..............good luck and be prepared for at least a 4 hour detailing session..................... the results are awesome
lol..yea im used to it...i spend that long on a wash a wax..including the 2 hours on the wheels..im a perfectionist..so it has to be perfect..
Old 07-02-2008 | 11:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 Porsche 911 c2s, 01 BMW 740il, 05 BMW 525i, 06 Acura TSX navi

i got the flex, need to test it out soon.

Quick Reply: Flex or PC?