Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Fast and easy engine detailing - 15 minutes to a clean engine

Old 01-29-2014, 10:29 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Daily Driver
Default Fast and easy engine detailing - 15 minutes to a clean engine

Name:  5050.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  94.6 KB

Ready..... Set.... GO!!!!!

With careful product selection and fairly decent organization, it is possible to clean a modern engine compartment in around 15 minutes. Keep in mind, this is not a heavy-duty detailing, although the results will look like it, but rather a very quick and thorough cleaning designed to make any engine compartment look great in a matter of minutes.
  1. Pre Soak Grimy Areas - 3 to 5 minutes
  2. Protect Sensitive Engine Components - done while cleaner is dwelling
  3. Rinse Off Pre Soak - > 1 minute
  4. Spray and Agitate Cleaner - 3 to 5 minutes
  5. Rinse Off Cleaner- > 1 minute
  6. Dry Engine Compartment - 3 to 5 minutes
  7. Apply Protectant/Dressing - 1 to 3 minutes

Working at a quick base it is possible to finish all of your work in 12 to 20 minutes.

I used my "beater" 2003 Toyota Matrix to as a test subject. The engine on this car has NEVER been detailed and was covered in 10 years worth of oil, filth, grit, dirt, leaves and whatever else found its way underneath the hood.

Products Used:

BLACKFIRE All-In-One APC
Wheel Woolies Detail Brush
Metro Vac Master Blaster
Sonus Trim & Motor Kote
Aluminum Foil
Hose & Water

BLACKFIRE All-In-One All Purpose Cleaner - BLACKFIRE AIO APC is a great choice for engine degreasing, particularly when used at full strength. It's leather-safe nature makes it ideal for cleaning the multitude of materials found under your hood. Best of all, it is a fast acting formula that requires a minimal dwell time for big results.

Sonus Trim & Motor Kote: Sonus Trim & Motor Kote remains my favorite engine protectant/dressing. Older plastics can tend to look dull and gray after they have aged, particularly the plastics on an older vehicle such as this Toyota. Sonus T&MK dries to the touch and provides long-lasting good looks!

Wheel Woolies Detail Brush - The Wheel Woolies Boar's Hair Detail Brush is a great choice for fast engine detailing because it quickly gets into most tight areas, while having enough surface area to clean larger areas.

Metro Vac MasterBlaster 8hp - After rinsing your engine, it is important to blow as much water out of the compartment as possible, away from electrical connectors and sensitive components. The MasterBlaster, with the benefit of heated air, quickly and effective dries the engine compartment.

Aluminum Foil- Use aluminium foil to protect sensitive engine components. Tearing the foil into squares, prior to engine detailing, makes easy and effortless to protect the engine. Simply cover, scrunch around the part, and move on.

Note: I would also recommend getting a pair of quality Nitrile Gloves to protect your hands any chemicals, grease and splatter.

Before:

The engine was covered in 10 years of filth, grease and debris....

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  368.0 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  403.3 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  288.9 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  378.8 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  393.8 KB

Step One: Pre Soak Grimy Areas - 3 to 5 minutes

Start your speed engine detailing by pre-soaking your engine compartment with BLACKFIRE All-In-One APC.

Name:  6.jpg
Size:  340.9 KB

Make sure to cover liberally.

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  371.4 KB

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  412.2 KB

You can see the full strength BLACKFIRE breaking down the grease and grime instantly.

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  309.5 KB

Step Two: Protect Sensitive Engine Components - done while cleaner is dwelling

Cover sensitive engine components like the alternator, throttle position sensor and electrical contectors with aluminum foil. If you don't know what you should be protecting, then consider having the car done professionally. If you are a professional, then learn!!!

Name:  10.jpg
Size:  284.1 KB

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  357.1 KB

Step Three: Rinse Off Pre Soak - > 1 minute

Quickly rinse off most of the pre soak. Avoid spraying a heavy stream of water directly onto the engine, instead focus on rinsing the areas around the engine.

Name:  12.jpg
Size:  344.8 KB

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  461.5 KB

Step Four: Spray and Agitate Cleaner - 3 to 5 minutes

For this step, I like to hold the sprayer in my left and the Wheel Woolies Detail Brush in my right. Quickly work around the engine compartment, spraying then agitating the solution.

Name:  14.jpg
Size:  325.9 KB

Name:  15.jpg
Size:  383.3 KB

Make sure to focus on the areas of heavy filth.

Name:  16.jpg
Size:  310.1 KB

Name:  17.jpg
Size:  350.3 KB

Name:  18.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  319.1 KB

Name:  19.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  305.1 KB

Name:  21.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  265.7 KB

Name:  22.jpg
Size:  337.2 KB

Name:  23.jpg
Size:  328.4 KB

Name:  24.jpg
Size:  344.1 KB

Step Five: Rinse Off Cleaner- > 1 minute

Name:  12.jpg
Size:  344.8 KB

Step Six: Dry Engine Compartment - 3 to 5 minutes

The Metro Vac MasterBlaster easily removed 90 percent or more of the water in just seconds. Spend the remaining time blowing out all of the crevices, cracks, nooks and crannies.

Name:  25.jpg
Size:  467.8 KB

Name:  26.jpg
Size:  384.4 KB

Make sure to remove all the aluminum foil!

Name:  27.jpg
Size:  272.5 KB

Once clean, the aged and neglected plastics looked gray and aged, but clean...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
12.jpg (344.8 KB, 11 views)
Old 01-29-2014, 10:30 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Daily Driver

Most importantly, the details were clean...

Name:  30.jpg
Size:  248.9 KB

Step 7: Apply Protectant/Dressing - 1 to 3 minutes

The last step in an engine detail is restore a nice, dark and rich sheen to the engine components. My favorite engine dressing/protectant remains Sonus Trim & Motor Kote. This long-lasting, polymer-based protectant creates a perfect sheen that compliments any engine. For more a more in depth how-to and review click here: Product Review: Sonus Trim & Motor Kote

Name:  31.jpg
Size:  376.8 KB

Lightly mist onto all engine surfaces an allow to dwell (without touching) for several hours).

Name:  32.jpg
Size:  404.9 KB

After misting onto the engine, close the hood (leave it cracked) and start your engine. Allow to warm up to operating temperature to boil out any sitting water from deep within your engine compartment.

Name:  28.jpg
Size:  317.7 KB

After Pictures:

Note: Sonus Trim & Motor Kote takes approximately 4 hours to set completely, these pictures were taken about 3 hours after application so some wet spots are still visible.

Name:  33.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  408.0 KB

Name:  34.jpg
Size:  383.6 KB

Name:  35.jpg
Size:  410.4 KB

Name:  36.jpg
Size:  290.0 KB