Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Everything U need to know about car care!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 07:29 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 Mystic Blue 530i. Sport package, Auto, Premium package, xenon headlights. Mods to come!

I'm new to this board having aquired my 530i last week. I am however a long time poster to the corvetteforum.com board. I'm hoping this board will be as helpful. In reviewing this board I haven't seen too much posted about taking good care and using the right "polish". So here's my contribution! If you want to know how to detail and take care of your car, you should listen to a "vette" guy. No car owners in the world take more care in cleaning and detailing their cars than "vette" guys. 1st off anyone who "waxes" their BMW has no idea what they are doing! Wax will ruin the clear coat! All waxes have abrasive materials in them. What do you think happens when you rub that on the clear coat? Might as well use sandpaper! There is a polish that I used exclusively on my vette and that was Zanio! http://www.zainostore.com/. No I don't work for them, I get nothing from promoting them. This stuff is absolutly hands down the best stuff you can use! The only thing I've ever seen come close is "liquid Glass" but that stuff leaves white residue and is tougher to use. Here's my routine.

1. Wash car with Zaino car wash.
2. Use leaf blower to remove 90% of the water off car (gets it all out of the seams)
3. Use 100% white cotton towel (made in america) with ends cut off (no nylon stiching to scratch it ) to dry rest
4. Appy Z-7 spray.

If your going to add some polish use Z-2 or Z-5 depending upon how happy you already are with the finish. Before using Zaino the 1st time follow their directions and clay bar the car. I had over 25 coats of Zanio on my vette and the finish was amazing. I won 1st in show with it at a local car show. You go to the vette forum and all you will see is talks about how great this Zanio stuff is! If your serious about your car get this stuff! Post your results. I promise you will not be dissapointed! Good luck!
Old 06-08-2005, 08:03 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Hpdrifter' date='Jun 8 2005, 08:29 AM
In reviewing this board I haven't seen too much posted about taking good care and using the right "polish". So here's my contribution! If you want to know how to detail and take care of your car, you should listen to a "vette" guy. No car owners in the world take more care in cleaning and detailing their cars than "vette" guys. 1st off anyone who "waxes" their BMW has no idea what they are doing! Wax will ruin the clear coat! All waxes have abrasive materials in them. What do you think happens when you rub that on the clear coat? Might as well use sandpaper!
[snapback]137567[/snapback]
Pretty bold statements...

I've been waxing my cars for a very long time, and have never ruined my clear coat. While some cheaper "waxes" may contain abrasives, high quality carnauba waxes (like One Grand Blitz, Zymol, etc.) contain no abrasives, and are perfectly safe...and provide the best depth of shine & color. Go to the Pebble Beach concours and see how many 1st place winners use Zymol (most of them) vs. Zaino (probably none of them).

Having owned several Porsches and been an active member of the Porsche community for over 15 years, I dare say that Porsche enthusiasts would give any other car owners a run for their money when it comes to obsessing over their cars!
Old 06-10-2005, 07:17 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Mystic Blue 530i. Sport package, Auto, Premium package, xenon headlights. Mods to come!

Not wanting to start anything but it kinda figures a Porche guy would think he knows more than a vette guy about car car. If your looking for flat out performance sports car, for dollar value you'd buy the vette. If your looking to impress people with a label then spend 2x as much and get the slower porche. Now for a lesion about Carnuba wax.

Carnuba breaks down at 110 F. This is 2005. Carnuba was used 50 years ago, so was out door plumbing. Things have changed although the gullibility of many car enthusiasts has not. Vendors thrive on what "Grandpa" use to use. Is there anything better than Carnuba? yeah! lots of things. One might be a space aged polymer that can be applied in direct sunlight. Zymol. is 37% carnuba wax. 37% melting away in the sun. What's the other 63%? you can bet there's some form of abrasive material in there. I've used Zymol and I've used Zaino. Nothing comes close to a Zaino shine. Don't listen to me though You should order The Wax Test from www.gurureports.org It is the best 9.95 you will spend to learn about today's wax technology. And surprise, this independant testing company tested 47 waxes and polishes and guess what came in 1st? Zaino!

So I guess I do have bold statements. Want another? My basically stock 2000 vette with cold air breather, corsa exhaust and short shifter runs a 12.1, 114mph 1/4 all for about 35k.

"having nitrious in your vette is like meeting a hot girl with an STD. You know you want to hit it but your afraid of the consequences!"
Old 06-10-2005, 09:43 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Hpdrifter' date='Jun 10 2005, 08:17 AM
Not wanting to start anything but it kinda figures a Porche guy would think he knows more than a vette guy about car car.
[snapback]138234[/snapback]
Imagine if you were trying to start something...

I was only commenting on your statement:
If you want to know how to detail and take care of your car, you should listen to a "vette" guy. No car owners in the world take more care in cleaning and detailing their cars than "vette" guys.

Look who's calling the kettle black...

All I said was:
Porsche enthusiasts would give any other car owners a run for their money when it comes to obsessing over their cars

I didn't say "you should listen to a Porsche guy" or "no car owners in the world take more care..."

Oh, and it's spelled Porsche, not Porche...and pronounced with 2 sylables, not one...

If your looking for flat out performance sports car, for dollar value you'd buy the vette. If your looking to impress people with a label then spend 2x as much and get the slower porche.
I suppose it depends on your definition of performance...

If you want to really impress your friends drag racing at the traffic lights, get yourself a Honda, chip it, and strap on a NOS kit--for a lot less than a Corvette. I guess that's performance to you.

A Porsche is a well-balanced, all-around sports car--great handling & road feel, with more than adequate power, and world-class brakes. That's what I call performance--you see, performance is multi-dimensional.

Another reason the Porsche cost more is because the interior doesn't look like it came out of a Chevy rent-a-car...oh, that's right, a Corvette is a Chevy...

Now for a lesion about Carnuba wax.
Can't wait...

BTW--a "lesion" is a wound or injury...and I won't bother to mention how many times you used "your" when I would have used "you're."

Carnuba breaks down at 110 F. This is 2005. Carnuba was used 50 years ago, so was out door plumbing. Things have changed although the gullibility of many car enthusiasts has not. Vendors thrive on what "Grandpa" use to use. Is there anything better than Carnuba? yeah! lots of things. One might be a space aged polymer that can be applied in direct sunlight.
I suppose "better" is in the eyes of the beholder. To first place winners at the Pebble Beach Concours (it's a smallish gathering of some notoriety you may be familiar with) "better" means a beautiful, natural finish with great depth of color and depth of shine.

To some "better" is the "space aged" polymer with a super shiny, plasticy looking finish, that looks artificial. I wonder why none of the Pebble Beach concours winners use Zaino?

Any, yes, carnauba wax doesn't last forever, but it will last a few months, which seems to be more than long enough for many. If Zaino is so wonderful, why is it that you need 25 coats...seems like a lot of work...you could have waxed your car 25 times with carnauba wax...but I digress...

Zymol. is 37% carnuba wax. 37% melting away in the sun. What's the other 63%? you can bet there's some form of abrasive material in there.
Easy, grasshopper...

Carnauba wax cannot be 100% carnauba, because carnauba is hard as a rock, so the wax needs to contain other ingredients to "carry" the carnauba. According to their website, here is what is contained in Zymol Carbon wax--see anything that resembles an abrasive? I don't.

Contains Carnauba Wax (derived from Palmetto), Montan Oil, Coconut Oil, Banana Oil, Propolis (derived from Bees), Cetyl Esters, Cetyl Cocoamide (derived from coconut oil) and FD&C Blue #1.

So I guess I do have bold statements. Want another? My basically stock 2000 vette with cold air breather, corsa exhaust and short shifter runs a 12.1,? 114mph? 1/4 all for about 35k.
Drag racing isn't what defines a sports car. Straight line speed is certainly one dimension of performance, but a sports car should have balanced, multidimensional performance...otherwise you have a drag racer.

Want a real test of a sports car (at least according to most knowledgeable enthusiasts)? Every heard of the Nurburgring? Think your Corvette would keep up with a Porsche on the Nordschleife?

"having nitrious in your vette is like meeting a hot girl with an STD. You know you want to hit it but your afraid of the consequences!"
I was tempted to end with a wise crack about how 2 people's perspectives can be very different, but you beat me to it...
Old 06-10-2005, 10:55 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi ED 7/1/2005. Silver Grey, Black Leather, Premium Package, Cold Weather, Sport, Logic 7, 18'' style 123 rims.

Nicely said....VERY nicely said!!
Old 06-10-2005, 11:36 AM
Senior Members

You buy a corvette because you cant afford a Porsche if the truth be told.

It might be relatively the same in a straight line but try putting a vette through a corner...for example at the Nurbergring...

id love to see what happens.

Same with the viper. They are great if you dont plan to take any kind of sharp bend. I have yet to find a car that corners quite as well as the 911. The only time ive ever felt similar performance was in a Ferrari 360 but it had a horrific F1 paddle shift jobby and as such i spent more time going 'for christ sake change you damn bitch' than concentrating on what it was like to drive.

I hear its come on a bit since then though. However the Porsche guy is right.

The reason i know what its like is that i have a 911 sitting in the drive way right now and truth be told : if you ever ever feel depressed 30minutes in it makes the whole world seem pretty damn ace.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:18 PM
Members

your looking for flat out performance sports car, for dollar value you'd buy the vette. If your looking to impress people with a label then spend 2x as much and get the slower porche.
I suppose it depends on your definition of performance...

If you want to really impress your friends drag racing at the traffic lights, get yourself a Honda, chip it, and strap on a NOS kit--for a lot less than a Corvette. I guess that's performance to you.

A Porsche is a well-balanced, all-around sports car--great handling & road feel, with more than adequate power, and world-class brakes. That's what I call performance--you see, performance is multi-dimensional.
Ummm i guess you mean by mulit-dimensional, slower in the straight line, slower in the corners, and slower on the skid pad? Oh yea and I forgot 2x the price! (That was the whole gist of my post comparing a vette to a Porsche) And comparing a riced up Honda to a vette really shows a lack of knowledge about "sports cars". I'll agree that the interior of the vette doesn't compare with the interior of the Porsche but I didn't buy my "sports car" for the interior. That what the 530i is for. But you Porsche owners all have such an elitest view of things until you show up at the track. I laugh as I watch those drivers cut 1.08 lights and clock 13.8's on a car that should at least be 13.2! Oh yea on the autocross course it's not much better. But how about that road feel?

Any, yes, carnauba wax doesn't last forever, but it will last a few months, which seems to be more than long enough for many. If Zaino is so wonderful, why is it that you need 25 coats...seems like a lot of work...you could have waxed your car 25 times with carnauba wax...but I digress...
25 coats put on over approximately 2 years. Actually having used both Zymol and Zaino I can definitely state that Zaino is an easier product to use than Zymol. See here is the point. I'm giving you advise after having used and compaired both products. My opinion comes from knowledge and first hand experience. From reading your posts I gather you've never used Zaino? Yet you have no problem putting it down. Kinda like giving a movie review when you haven't seen the movie.

Easy, grasshopper...

Carnauba wax cannot be 100% carnauba, because carnauba is hard as a rock, so the wax needs to contain other ingredients to "carry" the carnauba. According to their website, here is what is contained in Zymol Carbon wax--see anything that resembles an abrasive? I don't.

Contains Carnauba Wax (derived from Palmetto), Montan Oil, Coconut Oil, Banana Oil, Propolis (derived from Bees), Cetyl Esters, Cetyl Cocoamide (derived from coconut oil) and FD&C Blue #1.
actually I am somewhat suspicious of Cetyl Esters as both the MSDS and other product information descibes this product as a synthetic wax usually in a white flake form. The other products listed, although derived from natural sources, doesn't preclude the possibility of some abrasive material. My experience with "carnauba waxes" is that they clean and shine at the same time. The reason many of the winners at the pebble Beach Concours may use this product is because many of the cars there are not using a clear coat finish. Most of these cars are older and use a laquer based paint. Go to a more modern car show and see what the winners are using! The other two boards I've been to, vette, and mustang, are overwelmingly favoring Zaino. Maybe that's why the www.gurureports.org picked Zaino as the number 1 product!

So I guess I do have bold statements. Want another? My basically stock 2000 vette with cold air breather, corsa exhaust and short shifter runs a 12.1,? 114mph? 1/4 all for about 35k.
Drag racing isn't what defines a sports car. Straight line speed is certainly one dimension of performance, but a sports car should have balanced, multidimensional performance...otherwise you have a drag racer.
[/quote]

Like I said the Vette out performs Porsche not only in the straight away but also in the corners as well. If you want to check stats? Check out the Corvette Racing and its C5-R race cars, They have become the leading GTS endurance racing team in the world. Their successes include victories in the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 2001, 2002 and 2003 and an overall victory in the 2002 24 Hours of Daytona. In the American Le Mans Series, the C5-Rs have won three consecutive Team and Manufacturer championships (2001, 02 and 03), But don't take my word for it ask Dale Earnhardt Jr.

"The Corvette C5-R is such a great race car and, above all, it's fun to drive," he continued. "This car is so capable, if you realize you've made a mistake you can figure it out and correct it maybe the next time you hit that corner. In other sports cars I've driven you're fighting just to keep on line. This car allows you a certain level of precision."

But enough about how great the C5 is this post wasn't supposed to be about that.

As I started my post with, I really wasn't trying to start something. I realize that I'm new over here and I don't want to make waves before I've even jumped in the pool. I realize that would be impolite. So in the spirit of goodwill here's an olive branch. But all I'd ask is that if you get the chance, try some Zaino. It'd only set you back a few bucks and you may be suprised. You may like that wet deep looking shine that protects your paint like no other.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hpdrifter' date='Jun 10 2005, 01:18 PM
As I started my post with, I really wasn't trying to start something. I realize that I'm new over here and I don't want to make waves before I've even jumped in the pool. I realize that would be impolite. So in the spirit of goodwill here's an olive branch.? ? But all I'd ask is that if you get the chance, try some Zaino. It'd only set you back a few bucks and you may be suprised. You may like that wet deep looking shine that protects your paint like no other.? [/color]
[snapback]138320[/snapback]
Too late on the "not making waves before jumping in the pool" part.

Remember, this is how I responded to your original post--which was factually incorrect--and you got all insecure and hot & bothered:

Pretty bold statements...

I've been waxing my cars for a very long time, and have never ruined my clear coat. While some cheaper "waxes" may contain abrasives, high quality carnauba waxes (like One Grand Blitz, Zymol, etc.) contain no abrasives, and are perfectly safe...and provide the best depth of shine & color. Go to the Pebble Beach concours and see how many 1st place winners use Zymol (most of them) vs. Zaino (probably none of them).

Having owned several Porsches and been an active member of the Porsche community for over 15 years, I dare say that Porsche enthusiasts would give any other car owners a run for their money when it comes to obsessing over their cars!

I'm not going to waste my time responding to all the points in your post, because you are doing a very good job of leading with your chin, like when you keep referring to drag racing.

I've seen plenty of cars with Zaino on them--don't like it. You don't have to like anything else--just don't start attacking.

Oh, and the last time I checked, Porsche is the most successful car manufacturer at Le Mans. Porsche doesn't have a factory sponsored ALMS entry--but next year they will, so hold on to your wigs and keys. If you really believe the Corvette is a better sports car than a Porsche, god love you!

This is a wonderful community and we don't need any flames--if you feel the need to do that...try a hole shot over to your Corvette forums...
Old 06-10-2005, 04:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

All I can say is I test drove both a Boxster and a Vette two months ago. Driving the Boxster was like inhaling pure crack, while driving the Vette felt like leading a bull around by the horns, and the bull was on crack.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Merzbow' date='Jun 10 2005, 05:35 PM
All I can say is I test drove both a Boxster and a Vette two months ago. Driving the Boxster was like inhaling pure crack, while driving the Vette felt like leading a bull around by the horns, and the bull was on crack.
[snapback]138413[/snapback]

Quick Reply: Everything U need to know about car care!