Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Dr Colorchip Paint Chip Repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 06:40 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a very interesting website I found while doing a google search.

http://drcolorchip.com

I wanted to order it but wanted to see if anyone knows anything about it. Looks fantastic though.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530 JET BLACK, PREMIUM AND SPORT PACKAGE, REAR FOLD DOWN SEATS.

I used this product about a month ago. Its very easy to use and it does hide scratches, but not completely its still a visible if you look very closely. Other then that it does the job.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:25 AM
Members

My Ride: '04 525i, sport package & all the other goodies included

I just placed my order with Dr. ColorChip. $38 + $8 shipping. US shipping to lower 48 states only. I'll let you know how the application works. Pics to follow.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Hatchman50' post='332913' date='Sep 10 2006, 11:25 AM
I just placed my order with Dr. ColorChip. $38 + $8 shipping. US shipping to lower 48 states only. I'll let you know how the application works. Pics to follow.
Awesome, thanks can't wait to see the pics.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:11 AM
Members

My Ride: My 1st was an '06 530xi, Titanium Silver w/ gray dakota leather, sport pkg. & Nav. Now my 2nd is an '08 650i CP, Space Gray, Blk Dakota, Sprt. Auto, HUD, Sprt. Pkg., Prem. Sound, High Beam Ast. & Comfort Access

Originally Posted by nebullaone' post='330496' date='Sep 3 2006, 10:40 PM

I wanted to order it but wanted to see if anyone knows anything about it. Looks fantastic though.

I bought the product and used it this week. My vehicle is titanium silver and it had a few small chips that went down to the black primer. I used Dr. Colorchip per the instructions and was not impressed for the cost of the kit. When you do the "dab and swipe" method they call for it tended to take the paint out of the chip, revealing the primer again. Also, the paint they sent me did not appear to mix very well and had a lot of color variation when I dipped the brush in.

I found that if I filled the chip, let it sit a couple of seconds and wiped the excess, the paint remained better. The next problem was that the paint was so thin (i.e. below the original surface) that it will take 15-20 applications to actually filll in up to the surface. I was impressed with the remover solution in the kit, it did a good job.

This product may work better with the darker colors. I have used the
"touch up" brushes from dealers in the past and obtained better results at far less expense.

Take care.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by nebullaone' post='330496' date='Sep 4 2006, 10:40 AM

This looks good I must get some
Old 10-17-2006, 11:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i - Titanium Silver, Step, Black Interior, Sports Pkg.,CWP,Comfort Access, Nav, Premium Sound, Sat. Radio

Originally Posted by my1stbeemer' post='344829' date='Oct 14 2006, 07:11 AM
I bought the product and used it this week. My vehicle is titanium silver and it had a few small chips that went down to the black primer. I used Dr. Colorchip per the instructions and was not impressed for the cost of the kit. When you do the "dab and swipe" method they call for it tended to take the paint out of the chip, revealing the primer again. Also, the paint they sent me did not appear to mix very well and had a lot of color variation when I dipped the brush in.

I found that if I filled the chip, let it sit a couple of seconds and wiped the excess, the paint remained better. The next problem was that the paint was so thin (i.e. below the original surface) that it will take 15-20 applications to actually filll in up to the surface. I was impressed with the remover solution in the kit, it did a good job.

This product may work better with the darker colors. I have used the
"touch up" brushes from dealers in the past and obtained better results at far less expense.

Take care.
I had the exact same experience with my Titanium silver. The colour variation is very bad. I also found it very thin, almost impossible to use on a vertical surface. I liked the paint remover, but found I almost used half the bottle of remover and very little paint. They don't give you enough of it IMHO.

I also think they could skip the wood box it comes in. A waste of money for me.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i

I had the opposite experice!!! I thought Dr.Color Chip worked great.. I had to use it on my driver side passanger door, there were litterally id say 20-30 lil chips making a spirl from an egg that was thrown at my car...It was pretty bad, but after using Dr.CC the chips were seriosuly reduced to only being visable in direct sun light when your a foot away...and u still have to looking for it. Although the paint is very thin, i put about 5-6 coats on it and I was very happy with the results... and as for the 38 dollars being to expensive..for me it was either 38 dollars for multiple uses or a couple hundred dollars for one time use to get it repainted, and then having the worry about the paint not matching exact. Ive also noticed that over time now with 2 wax jobs the chips are becoming less and less visable!
Old 10-18-2006, 03:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by bstandardz' post='346311' date='Oct 19 2006, 02:54 AM
I had the opposite experice!!! I thought Dr.Color Chip worked great.. I had to use it on my driver side passanger door, there were litterally id say 20-30 lil chips making a spirl from an egg that was thrown at my car...It was pretty bad, but after using Dr.CC the chips were seriosuly reduced to only being visable in direct sun light when your a foot away...and u still have to looking for it. Although the paint is very thin, i put about 5-6 coats on it and I was very happy with the results... and as for the 38 dollars being to expensive..for me it was either 38 dollars for multiple uses or a couple hundred dollars for one time use to get it repainted, and then having the worry about the paint not matching exact. Ive also noticed that over time now with 2 wax jobs the chips are becoming less and less visable!
right on with any paint it is much better to put 3 to 4 layer than 1 layer. that why a car has about 10 layer of paint
Old 10-28-2006, 02:19 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525Xi Build: Sep 2005 Del: May 2006 Ti Silver | Black | Premium Pkg. | Cold Weath. | Step | Xenon Adapt.

I tried Dr. Colorchip this weekend, also on a Ti Silver e60 and I'm not impressed. I used the technique described and like Klepper and my1stbeemer I'm disappointed. It did seem to work better on very, very small chips, but even with painstaking layering it doesn't work very well on anything that goes deeper than the color. I've had better success with regular touch up paint for those. But, I've also botched a repair or two (not on the e60) using regular touch up paint. This seems easier to fix if you do mess up. But you can still see the repair quite easily.

Bottom line, not worth the trouble for me on what I'd typically want it for. :thumbsdown: