Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Detailed my new car today , PICS

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 05:26 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

We finally had a nice day today so I assembled all the detailing" stuff" I've been purchasing over the last few months and got busy with the new car :

Step 1. Washed car with liquid "Dawn" dish soap to remove all the Dealer applied wax.(they did a poor job of detailing and finishing the paint)

Step 2. Inspected paint surface for any bonded contaminants, the Dawn got the car very clean ,no grit
or surface dirt all , so no need to clay it.

Step 3. Masked off all non painted surfaces which could come in contact with the "Orbital" pads.

Step 4. Applied a mild cutting pad to my "Ultimate Detailing Machine" Orbital and applied Mequiars
Paint Cleaner. Machine cleaned total car then hand buffed the residue off with a microfiber
towel.

Step 5. Using a new mild cutting pad applied Megiuars Deep Crystal Polish. Machine polished total car
then hand buffed the residue off with a fresh microfiber towel.

Step 6. Applied a finishing pad to the "Orbital", then applied Meguiars NXT Synthetic Wax. Waxed
entire car then hand buffed the residue off with another clean microfiber towel.

NOTE: I was nervous about using the "Orbital" an a new car but after studying the Mequiars and Autogeek.net detailing videos I just dove in and was pleasantly surprised how easily it
applied all the products. The final outcome was fantastic, when I started I had some very mild
swirls and a few very fine scratches from the poor Dealer detailing. The final paint finish is rich
and very deep , much better than I thought it would turn out !! I still need to do the wheels
tommorow and obviously post some pics, But I know that quite a few members have new
"Orbitals" and are hesitant to use them for the first time so.......... Go for it ! It was simple
and kind of a fun way to spend 6 hours !!
Attached Thumbnails Detailed my new car today  , PICS-img_1554.jpg   Detailed my new car today  , PICS-img_1555.jpg   Detailed my new car today  , PICS-img_1556.jpg   Detailed my new car today  , PICS-img_1558.jpg   Detailed my new car today  , PICS-img_1559.jpg  

Detailed my new car today  , PICS-img_1560.jpg  
Old 04-12-2008, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

I guess today was car care day...
Old 04-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by geneatals' post='560499' date='Apr 12 2008, 06:42 PM
I guess today was car care day...
It sure was in Vancouver!!!
Westcoast, bet you didn't spend a lot of time on brake dust. What do you think of the pads?
Old 04-12-2008, 06:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

WC, thanks for sharing that, I'm going to save your post for when I get around to detailing mine.

Can't do much now ... water is scarce in GA.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by Westcoast M5' post='560501' date='Apr 12 2008, 09:55 PM
It sure was in Vancouver!!!
Westcoast, bet you didn't spend a lot of time on brake dust. What do you think of the pads?
R, I can't tell you how much less work these are ! Thank you so much for the tip !!( and the great deal ! )
They work great as well , they only diffference I notice is the brake is lower vs at the top of the pedal , did you notice that or should I have them adjusted ?? I don't find it a problem just a little different vs stock .
Cheers
Old 04-12-2008, 06:15 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='560507' date='Apr 12 2008, 07:07 PM
R, I can't tell you how much less work these are ! Thank you so much for the tip !!( and the great deal ! )
They work great as well , they only diffference I notice is the brake is lower vs at the top of the pedal , did you notice that or should I have them adjusted ?? I don't find it a problem just a little different vs stock .
Cheers
I didn't notice any pedal difference on mine. Could just be variation from car to car. I'm not sure if there is any adjustment on the brakes. I think as long as the fluid is at the correct level, the pedal is what it is. Don't know for sure though.

I really miss the dustless pads (not available for my car)
Old 04-12-2008, 06:18 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sixcard' post='560504' date='Apr 12 2008, 10:00 PM
WC, thanks for sharing that, I'm going to save your post for when I get around to detailing mine.

Can't do much now ... water is scarce in GA.

Thanks, the only change up I would reco for your car is use a Carnuba wax instesd of a synthetic one, lighter colored cars get better results with synthetics and darker ones get a deeper shine with Carnuba................ I am no detail guy but that seems to be one of the "rules", there are some real pro's here , but I must say that a few of the"Detailing Boogey Men" disappeared today..... it was much easier than I thought and ,pleasantly, a better result than anticipated............good luck
Old 04-12-2008, 06:59 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

no pics? would like to see the pleasant result
Old 04-12-2008, 07:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='560494' date='Apr 12 2008, 09:26 PM
so no need to clay it.
I recall someone recently saying in another post that claying is a must, even on a new car (cough, cough...). Hahahahaha!
Old 04-12-2008, 10:03 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='560529' date='Apr 12 2008, 10:23 PM
I recall someone recently saying in another post that claying is a must, even on a new car (cough, cough...). Hahahahaha!
It is ! it's the one thing the dealer did do , the rest was crap ! And honestly prior to washing it it did feel very rough , BUT the good old dish soap cleaned up the junk in the paint................go join your love triangle !

Quick Reply: Detailed my new car today , PICS