Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

detail the car twice in 1 month, is it ok?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 04:33 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,,,

How are ya? It's been a long time.
I was wondering if it is okay to detail the car twice in a month?
I just got my car detailed last 2 weeks. But, the detailer did a very bad job on the paint work. I asked them for the highest rank of their detail (Complete detail), and ask them to remove the scratches. However, none of the scratches are gone. The swirl marks are there as well. The most horrible thing is they leave white residue on my plastic bumper. I guess they just polish my car. They probably didnt even care to buff out the scratches. I am very dissapointed to spend 300 dollars for the detail. I know one good/much better detailer in the are. I was thinking to get it detailed again, but I am afraid that the paint or the clear coat can't take it, since it has only been 2 weeks. Any opinions will be extremely helpful. Thank you very much.
Yoko.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:20 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by Yoko' post='1041630' date='Oct 27 2009, 08:33 PM
Hi guys,,,

I just got my car detailed last 2 weeks. But, the detailer did a very bad job on the paint work. I asked them for the highest rank of their detail (Complete detail), and ask them to remove the scratches. However, none of the scratches are gone. The swirl marks are there as well. The most horrible thing is they leave white residue on my plastic bumper. I guess they just polish my car. They probably didnt even care to buff out the scratches. I am very dissapointed to spend 300 dollars for the detail. I know one good/much better detailer in the are. I was thinking to get it detailed again, but I am afraid that the paint or the clear coat can't take it, since it has only been 2 weeks. Any opinions will be extremely helpful. Thank you very much.
Yoko.
IMO, here's the basic rundown...you can wetsand a car once in it's lifetime. You can cut compound the car twice in it's lifetime. However, you can do a light polish on the car every 4-5 months or so...you'll be fine

Just get the car properly detailed now, keep a layer of wax on it, and polish it again in a few months
If you don't use automatic car washes, and only hand wash, you won't need to polish more than once every 4-5 months
Old 10-29-2009, 09:04 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='1041648' date='Oct 27 2009, 06:20 PM
IMO, here's the basic rundown...you can wetsand a car once in it's lifetime. You can cut compound the car twice in it's lifetime. However, you can do a light polish on the car every 4-5 months or so...you'll be fine

Just get the car properly detailed now, keep a layer of wax on it, and polish it again in a few months
If you don't use automatic car washes, and only hand wash, you won't need to polish more than once every 4-5 months
Thanks a lot Krozi.

I have a question. The detailer probably use something to make my bumper looks shiny. However, my bumper is plastic. Now that it doesnt look shiny anymore. There are white marks/spot everywhere on the plastic bumper. Do you know what should I use to rub it off?
Thank you.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:18 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by Yoko' post='1041630' date='Oct 28 2009, 02:33 AM
Hi guys,,,

Yoko.
It doesn't matter when the car has been detailed last time, but the number of compounding/polishing processes do matter. When you go to the next detailer, ask him to measure the paint thickness, and I'm sure he is capable to give you an estimate about the condition of your car's paint.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:51 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by Yoko' post='1042862' date='Oct 29 2009, 01:04 PM
Thanks a lot Krozi.

I have a question. The detailer probably use something to make my bumper looks shiny. However, my bumper is plastic. Now that it doesnt look shiny anymore. There are white marks/spot everywhere on the plastic bumper. Do you know what should I use to rub it off?
Thank you.
I don't think your detailer is doing a very good job detailing...

Sounds like he got some polish on your bumpers.... I have actually heard that you might get it off with peanut butter....not sure if there is any truth to that though...
Old 10-29-2009, 10:46 AM
Senior Members

Here are the pictures:
I have heard about the peanut butter as well. Do u mean, like skippy. I have heard that it is the vegetable oil in it that is the key. To avoid the sticky ness. I might work on it with a crisco vegetable oil. .. Thanks a lot guys.
Attached Thumbnails detail the car twice in 1 month, is it ok?-dsc01521ed.jpg   detail the car twice in 1 month, is it ok?-dsc01521ed.jpg  
Old 10-30-2009, 12:58 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by Yoko' post='1042959' date='Oct 29 2009, 11:46 AM
Here are the pictures:
I have heard about the peanut butter as well. Do u mean, like skippy. I have heard that it is the vegetable oil in it that is the key. To avoid the sticky ness. I might work on it with a crisco vegetable oil. :D.. Thanks a lot guys. :)
Yep, I agree with Krozi. They got polish on the bumper. They did a really quick and sloppy job with the buffer. Usually painters tape is used to protect the non-painted items.

What dealer was this? Bellevue?
Old 10-30-2009, 01:36 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by or_550i' post='1043821' date='Oct 30 2009, 10:58 PM
Yep, I agree with Krozi. They got polish on the bumper. They did a really quick and sloppy job with the buffer. Usually painters tape is used to protect the non-painted items.

What dealer was this? Bellevue?
Plus the swirls are horrible on the bumper :thumbsdown:.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:14 PM
Members

Fly me out to seattle and Ill do it for $200 (flight is like $100 right?)... and Ill do a good job! Interior, wash, clean and polish rims, clay bar, liquid clay, sealant, gloss and wax...
Old 10-30-2009, 04:53 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Anzafin' post='1043844' date='Oct 30 2009, 05:36 PM
Plus the swirls are horrible on the bumper :thumbsdown:.
Yea looks like they gave you some holograms...

A good detailer will be able to correct your paint though
Mchamner's offer sounds pretty good.

Quick Reply: detail the car twice in 1 month, is it ok?