Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Cloudy Windshield

Old 04-13-2009, 09:52 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi Alpine White

Hi,

I'm a new E60 owner. This is my first post, but I've been lurking for a while.

I've had my CPO E60 for a few months now. Now that the sun is starting to shine, I've noticed that the windshield looks dirty in direct sunlight. It has little spots all over that reflect the sunlight. I can also see the spots when not in direct sunlight.

I have not been able to determine if these spots are pits in the windshield or if they are something that I have been unable to clean. I've tried both sides of the windshield with Windex and car washes do nothing. When I run my finger along the windshield, I can't feel any pits. It feels smooth.

Any idea what this could be or is there a way I could determine whether this is physical damage or just dirty? If it is dirt or grime of some sort, is there something I should using to clean it? I tried gently rubbing a razor blade across the surface and I did get some dirt off, but the spots remain. I have also noticed a similar cloudiness on my headlights.

As I mentioned, this is a recent CPO. Is this something that should have been checked as part of the CPO process? I've also found some scratches and other imperfections that are starting to add up and get on my nerves. While I wasn't expecting new condition, I did figure that the CPOs would be the best of the best. What kind of aesthetic imperfections would make a car not fit for CPO and what kind of stuff has no impact?

Thank you. I'm enjoying this forum so far and I've been looking into getting a drop, bigger, non-chrome rims and a sprint booster. Oh, and pics as soon as I can get her clean enough.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:00 AM
Senior Members

Welcome to hte forum...
I have the same problem, it's window pitting. Mine is pretty bad too, and i think there is remedy to it other than to change the winsshield.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Sport Package, Jet Black M166 OEM Wheels M5 Style Body kit RPI Scoop BMC Air Filter Valentine One Radar Detector 35% tint all around

i know how you feel, it's your new car and you want it to be perfect. I have same stuff on my windshield and headlights. It's from the little stones and stuff that you catch on high speeds. Cars will also get some scratches and imperfections. Unless it's brand new - you can't claim that the CPO car is not good enough because of that.

I'm a perfectionist too, and I understanf you want to get rid of that. For windshield it would be replacement, for head lamps you can restore the crystal clear look but you might polish the UV protection away and then it will haze. I reccomend to leave it as it is and try to live with it.

As for scratches - good detailing should help.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:42 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by MacoBMW4life' post='845829' date='Apr 13 2009, 01:00 PM
Welcome to hte forum...
I have the same problem, it's window pitting. Mine is pretty bad too, and i think there is remedy to it other than to change the winsshield.
Not true. If you are real creative and fairly dexterous, and if you can distinguish well between right and left, and if you have a reverse gear that works, then put it in reverse. LOL
Old 04-13-2009, 12:21 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Like the others said, this is a condition well-known on the forum. Hello, my name is Calvin, and...I have winshield pitting.

Seriously, BMW just makes relatively soft windshields that pit instead of crack. I took a rock big enough to cause me to reflexively duck once while behind a big truck, and it made a tremendous pop. I thought for sure my windshield was going to look like a spider web. All I had was a small pit. It's a trade-off.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:23 PM
Contributors

try using a clay bar and spray for both the windshield and headlights. Afterwards buff both of them out with some compound / wax. If that doesn't work you can try wet/dry sanding for the headlights, check link below. As for the windshield you can probably find a spray that removes the calcium deposits at your local autoparts store.

Good luck .

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=57221
Old 04-13-2009, 02:28 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clay bar and DP Glass Polish sorted mine out
Old 04-13-2009, 04:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi Alpine White

Thanks for the advice (and welcome). It may be one of those things that I just have to deal with. I will look into some of those suggestions.

I just looked up one of those DP kits and it looked pretty good. Even a little improvement would be great.

As for a windshield replacement (am I getting off topic in the Detailing Forum), is aftermarket glass fine? If BMW makes soft glass anyway, aftermarket couldn't be much worse (and I imagine much cheaper). I don't see myself replacing in it the current condition, but if it gets worse...
Old 04-13-2009, 05:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 530i 87 325is 85 VW GTI

I'd probably stick with the factory if you have HUD. The otherwise go with he cheaper option. My 05 is pitted to hell. More so then my 87. My dad was charged for excess windshield wear and for new tires on his lease return. They charged it off when they realised he was also picking up a 535i. I guess they don't make them like they used to.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:56 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by vlad_b' post='845872' date='Apr 13 2009, 02:34 PM
i know how you feel, it's your new car and you want it to be perfect. I have same stuff on my windshield and headlights. It's from the little stones and stuff that you catch on high speeds. Cars will also get some scratches and imperfections. Unless it's brand new - you can't claim that the CPO car is not good enough because of that.

I'm a perfectionist too, and I understanf you want to get rid of that. For windshield it would be replacement, for head lamps you can restore the crystal clear look but you might polish the UV protection away and then it will haze. I reccomend to leave it as it is and try to live with it.

As for scratches - good detailing should help.
+1 I also bought a CPO (2007) it was in perfect condition inside and out. It again depends on the leaser who had leased it before. I also heard that there were CPOs with slight body damages too..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cloudy Windshield