Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Cleaning a car without a good water supply

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 12:17 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 Sapphire Black 545i, Auburn interior, PDC, Fold-down rear seats, Nav, Premium sound

This is kind of a strange question, but I was wondering how to clean a car if I didn't have a hose water supply. I live in a appt complex, and my car is parked in a garage under the complex. Unfortunately, there is no water supply down there! I could lug a few gallons of water down there from my appt, but im wondering if there was a different technique I could use to rinse off soap when cleaning a car. Perhaps a different kind of cleaning solution?

Also, what is the *easiest* wax to use to wax a car? I dont necessarily mean the best (usually too expensive) wax, but one that I can apply using the least amount of time and hopefully not too expensive. I'm busy but I love my car!
Old 10-15-2004, 01:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Without water cleaning your car is difficult. Take is to a washcenter where you can clean your car properly..

I put my car through a carwash this week (for the first time) and it came out okay.. no scratches or stuff..
Old 10-15-2004, 01:52 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ricochet' date='Oct 15 2004, 10:17 AM
This is kind of a strange question, but I was wondering how to clean a car if I didn't have a hose water supply. I live in a appt complex, and my car is parked in a garage under the complex. Unfortunately, there is no water supply down there! I could lug a few gallons of water down there from my appt, but im wondering if there was a different technique I could use to rinse off soap when cleaning a car. Perhaps a different kind of cleaning solution?

Also, what is the *easiest* wax to use to wax a car? I dont necessarily mean the best (usually too expensive) wax, but one that I can apply using the least amount of time and hopefully not too expensive. I'm busy but I love my car!
[snapback]45235[/snapback]
i have the same problem, too . the place that i stay has couple spaces for us to wash our cars but i hardly stay home <_<. the place that my gf stays doesn't have a place to wash car but i'm always there . so i just take it to a detail shop for a hand wash & wax. there is something called "waterless carwash" and it's been around for quite awhile. i haven't tried that before and not sure how it works . as far as the wax, if you do a search, you'll see a lot of discussions here. one thing called "rejex" is highly recommended by a lot of the members here. very easy to apply and remove. the "wet look" will last quite a long time . good luck .
Old 10-15-2004, 08:07 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 Sapphire Black 545i, Auburn interior, PDC, Fold-down rear seats, Nav, Premium sound

Hmm... being in a city... its hard to find places to wash my car myself! How has your guys' luck been with brushless car washes?
Old 10-15-2004, 09:10 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ricochet' date='Oct 15 2004, 06:07 PM
Hmm... being in a city...? its hard to find places to wash my car myself! How has your guys' luck been with brushless car washes?
[snapback]45385[/snapback]
you can either go to your friend's house or like me, go to hand wash detail shops .
Old 10-15-2004, 10:14 PM
Contributors

I go to a car wash and take a bucket with me. I only use the sprayer not the brush. Wahs and dray with a chamois cloth(Doesn't hold dirt) Spray it off and done.
For wax i use rejex. Works great if you are in a garage.
Old 10-16-2004, 06:59 AM
Senior Members

The only alternative method to rinse your car w/o a water supply that I could find is some kind of battery powered sprayer. Here'a http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&q=battery+powered+sprayer I don't know if they would generate enough pressure.

Here's a link to a waterless cleaner.

You also might try Rain X self dry car soap. You have to rinse it but it pretty much dries w/o towels and spots.

Note: I have no interest (financial or otherwise) in the above websites. The links are for reference only.
Old 10-16-2004, 06:11 PM
Members

Thanks for all of the suggestions! Definitely going to apply some rejex when my car comes. Maybe I should have gotten a different color that would be easier to take care of! (I have black)
Old 10-16-2004, 06:14 PM
Members

Has anyone tried this dry wash'n guard?
Old 10-16-2004, 06:21 PM
Senior Members

TiSilver is very easy to keep clean. For your next new car.
Any dark colored car needs constant attention.

Quick Reply: Cleaning a car without a good water supply