Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Claying

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 06:23 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

OK, so after researching the proper method for claying, I attempted it for the first time today. I must admit, I am very unpleased. While the paint is as smooth as a baby's butt, there are micro fine scratches that are visible under certain lighting conditions.

1) Can anybody suggest why I got this result?

2) How can I hide the scratches?
Old 09-04-2006, 12:24 AM
Members

I have the exact same problem, but I have Jet Black exterior. The scratches are VERY fine and resemble swirl marks from a close distance in the sun, but even after VERY light HAND buffing with some LIGHT polish, the polish leaves worse swirls than what the clay has caused. My car is brand new (1 month) and I've never washed it (only california duster with quick detailer wipe downs) so I've already accepted the fact that the paint won't be able to get any better than its current condition.

as to answer your questions:

either not enough lube or the car was dirty when you clayed

bring it to a detailer and he'll probably use some light polish on it.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:15 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Stoley' post='330495' date='Sep 4 2006, 04:23 AM
OK, so after researching the proper method for claying, I attempted it for the first time today. I must admit, I am very unpleased. While the paint is as smooth as a baby's butt, there are micro fine scratches that are visible under certain lighting conditions.

Claying does not remove scratches. It should also not cause scratches if done correctly.

What direction are the scratches in?
Old 09-04-2006, 06:56 PM
Members

The scratched were definately caused by the claying. They are front to back, just how I clayed. I take EXTREMELY good care of my car, and although I have had for 1.5 years, it really didn't even need the clay-there were very few (if any) contaminants on the car. I was carefull to use light pressure, and lots of lube. I spent $25 on high quality clay from a reputable detail shop.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530 JET BLACK, PREMIUM AND SPORT PACKAGE, REAR FOLD DOWN SEATS.

Originally Posted by Henry47' post='330568' date='Sep 3 2006, 10:24 PM
I have the exact same problem, but I have Jet Black exterior. The scratches are VERY fine and resemble swirl marks from a close distance in the sun, but even after VERY light HAND buffing with some LIGHT polish, the polish leaves worse swirls than what the clay has caused. My car is brand new (1 month) and I've never washed it (only california duster with quick detailer wipe downs) so I've already accepted the fact that the paint won't be able to get any better than its current condition.

as to answer your questions:

either not enough lube or the car was dirty when you clayed

bring it to a detailer and he'll probably use some light polish on it.
I think the reason you got scratches is because you didnt clean your clay. I think you use one side of your clay to do your whole car which had all the debri and it probably scrathed your car. You need to clean your clay when doing sections of your vehicle at the least, by doing so you must squeeze the clay and stretch it and use the new side of the clay when doing sections of your vehicle. By doing this it wil prevent scrathes and swirl marks. Hope this makes sense . Correct me if im wrong?
Old 09-06-2006, 07:08 AM
Senior Members

Clay should be clean ALL THE TIME - that means using new piece or fresh side on every square feet of paint you clay. In addition to that you need LOTS of lubricant, and by lots I mean it should drip all over while you clay, literally soaked in lubricant. Best lubricant is just plain water with diswashing liquid, but Meguiars Detailer also works well. Clay in the shade, and remove lubricant after you finished claying a certain spot before moving to the other. After claying, wash the car again thoroughly, and polish paint with fine polish and orbital buffer. Then wash again, and wax or glaze. You shouldn't have any problems or scratches after that.

Keep in mind though, that clay bar is an abrasive, and if you don't use it correctly, you might scratch your paint to the point that you won't be able to recover it with polish and wax. Be very careful, and once again - fresh clay and lots of lubricant. NEVER use dirty clay on paint, and if you accidentally drop the clay on the ground, just discard the whole bar.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:01 AM
Members

Originally Posted by wannatesdr' post='331437' date='Sep 6 2006, 03:29 AM
I think the reason you got scratches is because you didnt clean your clay. I think you use one side of your clay to do your whole car which had all the debri and it probably scrathed your car. You need to clean your clay when doing sections of your vehicle at the least, by doing so you must squeeze the clay and stretch it and use the new side of the clay when doing sections of your vehicle. By doing this it wil prevent scrathes and swirl marks. Hope this makes sense . Correct me if im wrong?
It was a brand new clay bar out of the wrapping. The car was cleaned using a california duster and microfibre cloths with quick detailer. The vehicle was VERY clean, as was the clay bar. Usually when I detail my other cars I'll fold the clay once/twice for every panel, but this time I was VERY careful and folded it about once every 6" covered on my car. Like I said, the scratches are VERY fine and cannot be seen unless in certain light conditions. Is it REALLY possible that ABSOLUTELY NO scratches would occur if used properly? Please remember that this car was BRAND new, never even washed (prior to duster/quick detailer) so it's paint was almost in PERFECT condition.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:11 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Henry47' post='332640' date='Sep 9 2006, 02:01 PM
It was a brand new clay bar out of the wrapping. The car was cleaned using a california duster and microfibre cloths with quick detailer. The vehicle was VERY clean, as was the clay bar. Usually when I detail my other cars I'll fold the clay once/twice for every panel, but this time I was VERY careful and folded it about once every 6" covered on my car. Like I said, the scratches are VERY fine and cannot be seen unless in certain light conditions. Is it REALLY possible that ABSOLUTELY NO scratches would occur if used properly? Please remember that this car was BRAND new, never even washed (prior to duster/quick detailer) so it's paint was almost in PERFECT condition.

Remember that the car would have been de-waxed and then washed by the dealer at least once.

Any chance the scratches were caused by the dealer?

Alternatively, my suggestion would be that a thorough wash is required before claying. Even though it is a new car, calif duster + QD does not clean as well as a wash.

Just my opinion.