Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Cigerette smoke smell

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 10:37 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Deodorize a room filled with cigarette smoke or paint fumes. Place a small bowl of vinegar in the room.
Not very practical but may formulate some ideas. Maybe something in a cup holder for a while?

http://www.angelfire.com/cantina/hom...g/vinegar.html

Lemon juice seems to work too but may have a more acceptable smell.

ABC
Old 01-07-2007, 10:47 PM
Senior Members

Here hope this helps
http://topoftheline.com/cigarette-smoke-remover.html

http://www.zorbx.com/sections/people/smoke.asp
Old 01-07-2007, 11:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

I would never buy a second hand car if there's smell of cigarettes inside no matter how good the car is.

Does opening the window and let the car sit helps? Just a suggestion
Old 01-07-2007, 11:50 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jordan23junkee' post='375013' date='Jan 8 2007, 07:47 AM
"Do not spray directly on to wood or paint." Right!

ABC
Old 01-07-2007, 11:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by AC_S5' post='375017' date='Jan 8 2007, 04:39 PM
I would never buy a second hand car if there's smell of cigarettes inside no matter how good the car is.

Does opening the window and let the car sit helps? Just a suggestion
right on
Old 01-08-2007, 03:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Sprays which contain Ozone are good at neutralizing odors.

I used to work in a restaurant during college, and I always reeked after work. I used the Ozone spray in the car, and it worked. Granted, I was never smoking in the car..... just transferring odors through my clothes.

I would spray the interior until it was all foggy inside, and then close up the car and park it in the hot sun..... and let it bake.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Advice...

- shampoo and wet vacuum and your carpets with a good quality product (most of the smell resides in the fibre)
- also gently clean the headliner with a damp sponge and solution of tepid water mixed with a small amount of woolite
- clean all plastics with a microfibre solution of warm water and mild cleaner (BMW interior cleaner is good). I would advise against using chemicals as it could make your dash shiny.
- clean the glass on the inside
- clean and condition your leather
- also be patient, the smell will take a while to go away (but it will)

Good luck....
Old 01-08-2007, 05:16 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='375058' date='Jan 8 2007, 12:59 PM
Advice...

- shampoo and wet vacuum and your carpets with a good quality product (most of the smell resides in the fibre)
- also gently clean the headliner with a damp sponge and solution of tepid water mixed with a small amount of woolite
- clean all plastics with a microfibre solution of warm water and mild cleaner (BMW interior cleaner is good). I would advise against using chemicals as it could make your dash shiny.
- clean the glass on the inside
- clean and condition your leather
- also be patient, the smell will take a while to go away (but it will)
Good luck....
Seems to me that a smoker's vehicle (unless sold to another smoker) would be a good case for negotiating at least a grand off the "best" price.

ABC
Old 01-08-2007, 05:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='375092' date='Jan 8 2007, 02:16 PM
Seems to me that a smoker's vehicle (unless sold to another smoker) would be a good case for negotiating at least a grand off the "best" price.

I suppose you could (should) try to get something off the price. I'd say a dealer would have a hard time shifting a car that stinks of smoke so should have factored that into the trade-in price when he bought the car. Not sure if you would get as much as a grand off though...
Old 01-08-2007, 06:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

My experience is with a 10 year old, 110,000 mile Passat that I bought. The previous owner (who had run the car for 9.5 years) was a pipe smoker. The car was horrible, but worth the ?150 I paid for it. Instead of light grey inside it was brown. My good lady said I should take it around schools as a deterrent against smoking. Neither she nor my kids would go near it, never mind get in it!

Take care with headlings, some are stuck on with water based glue, so if you wet it, the fabric comes off - you can't use more glue to stick it back because it soaks through. Double sided tape doesn't work because of the remaining glue being crystalised. Staples though the cardboard backing works on a Passat, but no good for a 5er

I tried all sorts of products and ideas. After thorough cleaning, the best solution I had, although not perfect, was with a bathroom odour neutraliser gel. Some have a little scent, but if you don't want your car smelling like a toilet, there are odour neutral ones for sale. They come in small round pots, and cost ?1 to 2. Just leave them in the car for a couple of months, and the smell will get better.

Watch out for Febreeeeze and the likes - it says "do not spray near upholstery"

The Passat? I ran it for 7 months and 4000 miles, put 2 new wipers and an MOT on it and sold it for ?350 just before Christmas - with saggy headling!!

Quick Reply: Cigerette smoke smell