Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

BREAK DUST!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 02:40 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 E60 BMW 525i - BIRTHDAY- 11/04 - EXTERIOR- Amethyst Gray Metallic. INTERIOR- Beige Dakota Leather w/Dark Poplar Grain Wood. OPTIONS- Automatic Transmission, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, 6-disc CD changer, Bluetooth using Verizon Raza V3c phone, SIRIUS Satellite Radio. ADD-ON's- 545i Chrome Grill, Euro Red Reflectors, Factory all-weater matts & Factory Coat-Hanger.

I am cleaning break dust off my rims EVERY DAY, is there anything I can do to help with this problem? I just thought at first it was because the car was sitting around before I got it and had a lot of rust build up from sitting at dealership, but now it's all gone but the break dust seems to be even worse!! HELP
Old 06-06-2005, 02:46 AM
Senior Members

Brake dust is a common problem among all continental cars. There is nothing you can do about it. Try polishing your rims. Might make it too smooth for the dust to stick. Alternatively you can try some aftermarket brands but I wouldn't advise it. Better to stick to originals especially where the safety parts are concerned.

Anyway, it is a good sign to have brake dust on your rims. It goes to show that your brakes are working fine.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:00 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

There's no way to avoid it. To minimize it, and make cleaning easier, I've been using Rejex 3 or 4 times a year on my wheels. It doesn't break down from the high heat like wax will:
http://www.corrosionx.com/rejex.html

Between washings, I use a California mini duster on the wheels--takes 5 minutes and they're clean:
http://www.calcarcover.com/product.aspx?id=1021&cid=101
Old 06-06-2005, 07:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i

The reason why the car has so much brake dust is because they use a soft compount pad. As much as the dust sucks, its better than using a hard pad that will possibly warp out your rotors. Hard pads are very tough on rotors.

Best bet is to wax your wheels and use lots of elbow grease.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:22 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by JonsTintedTails' date='Jun 6 2005, 08:02 AM
The reason why the car has so much brake dust is because they use a soft compount pad.? As much as the dust sucks, its better than using a hard pad that will possibly warp out your rotors.? Hard pads are very tough on rotors.?

Best bet is to wax your wheels and use lots of elbow grease.
[snapback]136684[/snapback]
Just be aware that using traditional wax on your wheels is futile--it breaks down very quickly under the high heat.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 320i, M3 paddle shift, Sat Nav

Its normal. <_<
Old 06-06-2005, 09:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

Yup, go over them with a mini-duster every day after work. Just make it a ritual after you get home. Dust the rest of the car with a regular size duster also once a day.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Merzbow' date='Jun 6 2005, 10:44 AM
Yup, go over them with a mini-duster every day after work. Just make it a ritual after you get home. Dust the rest of the car with a regular size duster also once a day.
[snapback]136727[/snapback]
A good practice when dusting your car (paint or wheels) is to do it before you get in the car (or several hours after it's cooled down), because doing it after driving--when the surfaces are hot, particularly the wheels--increases the risk of damaging the surfaces, since the heat softens the finishes.

The other suggestion is to only dust when it looks like it needs it--the less you touch the painted surfaces, the less you risk damaging them. Unless I travel through a dusty area (like it's been the last few days here with the high winds), I usually dust the car twice a week or less, and the wheels once a week.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:31 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by stream' date='Jun 6 2005, 08:09 PM
[quote name='Merzbow' date='Jun 6 2005, 10:44 AM']Yup, go over them with a mini-duster every day after work. Just make it a ritual after you get home. Dust the rest of the car with a regular size duster also once a day.
A good practice when dusting your car (paint or wheels) is to do it before you get in the car (or several hours after it's cooled down), because doing it after driving--when the surfaces are hot, particularly the wheels--increases the risk of damaging the surfaces, since the heat softens the finishes.

The other suggestion is to only dust when it looks like it needs it--the less you touch the painted surfaces, the less you risk damaging them. Unless I travel through a dusty area (like it's been the last few days here with the high winds), I usually dust the car twice a week or less, and the wheels once a week.
[snapback]136740[/snapback]
[/quote]

I've always been afraid to dust my car (especially because it is black). Can it really be done safely without scratching the paint?
Old 06-15-2005, 10:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BMW#4' date='Jun 15 2005, 11:31 AM
[quote name='stream' date='Jun 6 2005, 08:09 PM'][quote name='Merzbow' date='Jun 6 2005, 10:44 AM']Yup, go over them with a mini-duster every day after work. Just make it a ritual after you get home. Dust the rest of the car with a regular size duster also once a day.

[snapback]136740[/snapback]
[/quote]

I've always been afraid to dust my car (especially because it is black). Can it really be done safely without scratching the paint?
[snapback]139784[/snapback]
[/quote]

I've been using the Calfornia car duster on several cars for quite a few years, with great results. I've never owned a black car, but I first heard of the duster years ago on a Porsche board, from this guy had a black turbo and was the most anal person I've seen regarding keeping his car in pristine condition. He highly recommended it, and even had 1,000 wt halogen lights in his garage for when he detailed his car. I used it for 4 years on an anthracite car and never saw any scratch marks from it.

I wouldn't recommend using it after driving in a rain storm when mud or lots of dirt got on the car, but when used to remove dust from the car, supporting the weight of the handle and only allowing the duster to lightly brush the car, you should be in good shape. I also shake out the duster 4 or 5 times while dusting the car. Also brush "as the wind would blow over the car" in straight strokes (never in circles) like you would when wiping down after a wash.

Quick Reply: BREAK DUST!!!!