Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Brand New Car!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 07:45 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey friends and experts
I just got my LCI a week ago,and I talked to my friend who was a BMW sales before in Ireland,
he recommends I should do wax(not sure i spelled correctly) 5 times coating,I am abit skeptic to do this on a brand new car...
Others recommend Glass coating from japan(3 layers),they say prevent the paint and makes car shinier and no need to do anything for the next 4 years

Any suggestions or feedback will be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance
Mike

PS the friend from ireland said do waxing and leave 1 hour in the sun and repeat the process 5 times..
Old 11-24-2007, 07:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by MikeThailand' post='498475' date='Nov 24 2007, 08:45 AM
hey friends and experts
I just got my LCI a week ago,and I talked to my friend who was a BMW sales before in Ireland,
he recommends I should do wax(not sure i spelled correctly) 5 times coating,I am abit skeptic to do this on a brand new car...
Others recommend Glass coating from japan(3 layers),they say prevent the paint and makes car shinier and no need to do anything for the next 4 years

Thanks in advance
Mike

PS the friend from ireland said do waxing and leave 1 hour in the sun and repeat the process 5 times..

hmmm...personally, I stay away from the "dealer added" paint protection as I've always thought they were a waste of money. If you clean the car at least twice a month and wax it once every other month (or so) with a good rated wax, Meguier's, Zano, etc. you should not have any issues with your paint. Waxing 5 times seems like overkill as you can only get so much wax on the surface coat...never heard of that before
Old 11-24-2007, 08:40 AM
Members

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='498477' date='Nov 24 2007, 11:49 AM
hmmm...personally, I stay away from the "dealer added" paint protection as I've always thought they were a waste of money. If you clean the car at least twice a month and wax it once every other month (or so) with a good rated wax, Meguier's, Zano, etc. you should not have any issues with your paint. Waxing 5 times seems like overkill as you can only get so much wax on the surface coat...never heard of that before
Thanks for your advise

Mike
Old 11-26-2007, 03:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Nothing like that, but I'd highly recommend getting the 3M film installed on your front end, mirrors and door edging. Rear bumper as well if you plan to parallel park it a lot.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

I would clay the car to remove all the junk that will have attached itself to your car in transit , polish,seal and wax it . This will help in the reduction/elimination of swirls and protect the new car look. Wax it at least 4 times a year.

Congratulations.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by MikeThailand' post='498475' date='Nov 24 2007, 08:45 AM
hey friends and experts

Thanks in advance
Mike

Every answer you get on waxing is going to be different. If you want the real scoop on waxes, talk to the wax manufactures. Putting more than one coat of wax on it at a time does not make a lot of sense as I don't think you are going to get 5 times the protection. For the time it takes, you would be better off waxing it every other month.

I would be skeptical of any wax/coating that says it lasts for 4 years.

Also, I don't think you need to clay it or polish it. It has not been exposed to the elements... to cause any damage to the paint. When I got my car, the paint was pretty clean. But doing any of that will not cause damage.

I got by with just putting on pure carnuba for the first year and a half before I felt the need to do any polishers or cleaners.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:10 AM
Members

Thanks everyone for advise and suggestions

Mike
Old 11-27-2007, 09:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss

Zaino can be applied in multiple coats. The more coats you put on, the more it shines and the longer the protection. Zaino says you can put on up to ten coats for more and more shine, but I don't have the stamina or drive to put that many on. The most I can muster is 6 or 7 coats over a couple of weeks before I'm just plain sick of washing and waxing. But it is fantastic stuff! I've been using it for around 5 years now, and I love their products. But don't let anybody fool you into thinking it's not a lot of work. It is! But the results make it worth it.

Caveat: you won't be blown away by the results at first, and will probably be quite disappointed based on all the hype Zaino receives. The trick is that Zaino has to cure for about 3 days and then, WOW!!!! Bling-blough!
Old 11-27-2007, 09:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 530i , Silver with leather Air Con iDrive 17" Breyton Rims with Dunlop Sp Sport tyres (M-Tech Bodykit and rims WANTED) Alfa Romeo 147 TS1.6 , Black with Air Con 17" Multi Spoke alloys with Bridgestone RE040 tyres Toyota MR-S 1.8 VVTI , Lagoon Blue with Red leather Air Con 15" standard alloys with Toyo tyres Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTI, Lagoon Blue, Air Con, 16" Standard alloys with Kuhmo KU31, EBC Green Stuff

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='498477' date='Nov 24 2007, 04:49 PM
Agreed!

A good wash every fortnight and wax 2-3 times a year should be good enough to make your neighbor jealous!!

but it is all down to how you wash and maintain your car (polish-sealant-wax). More infos can be seen in detailing section!

Without a proper polish (even new car,cos some dealer do their prep work badly), 5 coats of wax mean nothing to me.

Congrats with your new car btw!! And we would like to see some pics

Keith
Old 11-27-2007, 10:05 AM
Members

Originally Posted by keith84_uk' post='499608' date='Nov 27 2007, 01:39 PM
Agreed!

A good wash every fortnight and wax 2-3 times a year should be good enough to make your neighbor jealous!!

but it is all down to how you wash and maintain your car (polish-sealant-wax). More infos can be seen in detailing section!

Without a proper polish (even new car,cos some dealer do their prep work badly), 5 coats of wax mean nothing to me.

Congrats with your new car btw!! And we would like to see some pics

Keith
Thank you
I have just one pic ,will post more later
Attached Thumbnails Brand New Car!!-wr.jpeg  

Quick Reply: Brand New Car!!