Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Brake Dust Pitting?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004 | 08:18 PM
Members

Folks, I don't know if I have a serious problem. I hope you will say no. I have had to go on several back-to-back work trips, the result being that I went about 3 months without getting the brake dust off my '04 E60. I finally had a chance to clean her off. The brake dust was really stuck on there! I went 3 times with Griot's Wheel Cleaner and brush, but there still remain some small black spots, especially on the front wheels. When I run my hand over them they feel bumpy, like they are on the surface only. But I am worried that there might be some irreversible pitting or the like that has happened.

Any suggestions on removal of the remaining small black spots? I am putting this out for your collective wisdom here because I don't want to do any damage.

I certainly learned my lesson on getting the brake dust off more frequently!

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 09-05-2004 | 05:16 AM
Senior Members

Pits are a lot different than bumps. Btw, which rims do you have? Stock rims are painted/clear coated, so getting stuff off of them isn't any different than getting your car body paint clean.

Sounds like you need some kind of minor abrasive to get the spots off. Kinda like rubbing out your paint or maybe try some "goof off or goo gone"

What I would probably use first from my arsenal is "Gel-gloss", which I get from Home Depot. If that didn't work, then some paint polishing compound like "No.& white polishing compound". If those didn't work, ask the dealer what they use in their detailing business.