Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

BMW wax and other cleaning products

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005 | 04:13 AM
SKK
Senior Members

Now that winter is fully upon us, I feel the need to give my car a good clean and wax. There is so much salt and gunk on the road at the moment I fear for my paintwork.

I know that there are lots of good cleaning products out in the market such as Zymol. Megs etc but when I picked up my car my dealer chucked in some BMW cleaning products for free - Wax, interior cleaner, bumper cleaner, leather creamer and some shampoo. It was a miserable day when I got my shiny new car so it was a nice touch on their behalf.

Question is do I use this stuff (especially the wax) or do I get some "proper" products. Anyone have experience of the BMW Wax ? It seems very clear and fairly liquid. Advice appreciated.

I also have a large 5 litre bottle of wonder wheels rim cleaner - is this any good and is it ok to use on BMW alloys ?

Thanks
Old 12-18-2005 | 06:48 AM
SKK
Senior Members

Originally Posted by SKK' post='212779' date='Dec 18 2005, 01:13 PM
Now that winter is fully upon us, I feel the need to give my car a good clean and wax. There is so much salt and gunk on the road at the moment I fear for my paintwork.

I know that there are lots of good cleaning products out in the market such as Zymol. Megs etc but when I picked up my car my dealer chucked in some BMW cleaning products for free - Wax, interior cleaner, bumper cleaner, leather creamer and some shampoo. It was a miserable day when I got my shiny new car so it was a nice touch on their behalf.

Question is do I use this stuff (especially the wax) or do I get some "proper" products. Anyone have experience of the BMW Wax ? It seems very clear and fairly liquid. Advice appreciated.

I also have a large 5 litre bottle of wonder wheels rim cleaner - is this any good and is it ok to use on BMW alloys ?

Thanks
Ok just read the bottle - Its called BMW Auto Wax and contains natural Carnauba.
Old 12-18-2005 | 10:14 AM
Senior Members

BMW interior cleaner & the leather cleaner & conditioner is really good. I use them all the time.

I know they used to use Sonax polish & wax for their BMW branded stuff. If they still use it, Sonax is certainly not a bad product!

Personally, l use Meguiar's detailing products for the exterior.
Old 12-20-2005 | 11:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Cube Trim, M Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, Head Up Display, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Through Load, Park Distance Control, Navigation , HK Logic 7, etc

anything better then maguires?
Old 12-21-2005 | 12:17 AM
Members

You can try SONUS (that's what I use) or ZAINO.
But please, consider that Meguiars products are not bad at all; yes, there are better waxes (i.e. PS12 or Zaino or Klasse) but they make several nice quality products and accessories (brushes etc.).
Have a look here: http://autopia-carcare.com

Luca
Old 12-21-2005 | 01:22 AM
SKK
Senior Members

I used P21S wax in the end. Really is awesome stuff. Very very easy to apply and buff (dont even have to wait for it to dry per the intructions in the tub so ideal for the winter). Doesnt leave any residue whatsoever - even on black plastics. Gives a very wet look even on Silver Grey. Plus its completly natural - I would highly recommend it.

As BMW#5 mention above the BMW inteirior cleaner is very nice - smells good and does a decent job without leaving streaks on your interior plastic and rubber.

I also bought some great microfibres yesterday - Micropaks sold by pakshak.com. The ultrafines are really nice for buffing and the drying towels do a great job as well.
Old 12-21-2005 | 04:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d GT, Blue, Beige Dakota Leather, Pro Sat Nav, Interior Lights Pack, Adaptive Lights, Advanced Aircon

Originally Posted by BMW#5' post='212864' date='Dec 18 2005, 07:14 PM
BMW interior cleaner & the leather cleaner & conditioner is really good. I use them all the time.

I know they used to use Sonax polish & wax for their BMW branded stuff. If they still use it, Sonax is certainly not a bad product!

Personally, l use Meguiar's detailing products for the exterior.
Me too

BMW branded for interior, Meguiar's for the exterior
Old 12-21-2005 | 05:22 AM
SKK
Senior Members

If you must use Megs stuff (I can't comment on them as I have never used their stuff apart from the Gold class shampoo which is very good) then top it with a coat of P21S. If its like this on my car I can only imagine the wetness/gloss on a black colour car !!!