Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Best Car Wax

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 05:48 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '06 550i 6 Speed MT, Navigation, PDC, Cold Weather Pkg, Logic7, Prem Pkg, Sport Pkg, Active Steering, Comfort Seats, Comfort Access, HUD, Alpine White on Black Dakota & a Big Grin ;-) <---- On the vessel from Germany... ******** '05 545i 6 Speed MT, Navigation, PDC, Cold Weather Pkg, Logic7, Prem Pkg, Sport Pkg, UUC EVOIII SSK, Silver Gray on Black Dakota..... (Buy back by BMW NA)

REJEX
Old 06-08-2006, 06:48 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Electric Rear Sunshades, Heated Rear Seats, Sirius Radio

Originally Posted by dgdoc' post='294833' date='Jun 8 2006, 08:47 PM
Sealant, then wax on top is a fairly popular technique. Most sealants provide protection but lack "depth". Applying a wax on top is supposed to give the best of both worlds.

I did this for a while with the Klasse stuff followed by P21S for the top layer. Recently, I've switched over to Zaino because it seems to be less work to get the same results.
Recently I used Poorboy's EX sealant topped with Pinnacle Souverin Paste wax. I have not yet tried Zaino, but have heard nothing butgood things about this product.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I have been purchasing my detailing products from a great website.

Top of the Line

They have everything you could possibly need, and they are VERY helpful if you have questions. They also have a nice tips section with Q&A, etc...

Here is a reply from them to a Question:

Question:

I have been detailing for 10 years, both professionally and as a hobby. I recently purchased your Cyclo polisher. I have been able to attain "better than average" finishes on cars. Both compound and polishing processes pose no problems but, I really have trouble with the glaze and sealer drying up, sticking to the finish and smearing causing black blotches. The end result is not pretty. The glaze and sealer are supposed to be idiot proof, so will I ever get past these inconsistencies? I am open to ideas or straight up advice.

Answer:

You are performing too many steps, using too much product on the pads, and using products that are incompatible. Paint preparation and waxing should be a very simple process requiring no more than two steps; three at the most on cars with severe problems. Clean up the process and make it simple. Select products that are formulated to be used together.

1-Step Method for Swirls & Light Oxidation: Apply Hi-Temp Paint Perfection Glaze one-step cleaner/wax sealant with an orbital polisher and a polishing or cutting pad.

2-Step Method for Light Scratches, Swirls & Moderate Oxidation: Apply Hi-Temp Light Cut Swirl Remover with an orbital polisher and polishing or cutting pads. Follow with a Paste Wax, Liquid Wax or Wax Sealant by hand, or orbital polisher and a finishing pad.

3-Step Method for Scratches, Acid Rain Etching & Heavy Oxidation: Apply Hi-Temp Medium Cut or Extreme Cut Paint Leveler with a rotary polisher and a polishing or cutting pad. Follow with Hi-Temp Light Cut using an orbital polisher and a polishing pad. Top off with a Paste Wax, Liquid Wax or Wax Sealant by hand, or with an orbital polisher and a finishing pad.

Their point about keeping your detailing process simple is probably the best advice that anyone can give. I have seen this first-hand. When I first got my E60, I swore to myself that I would take care of the paint as best I could. So I began by washing the car twice a week. Then I would wax it once a month. After about 3 months, I decided it was time to do a big detail job. So I spent a good part of the day working on it.

I started by washing, drying, and then used the clay bar.

Next I used some Light Powercut Leveler with my Cyclo orbital polisher and foam cutting pads. This was to reduce the swirl marks.

I followed this with Klasse All-in-One Polish, applied by hand.

Next I used some Trade Secret carnauba paste wax, applied by hand.

When I finished the car looked great. But the next morning I woke up and noticed the hood had a foggy look to it. I figured it was just morning dew, since I live in Florida and it gets REALLY humid and steamy in my garage. When I drove outside, the hazy look disappeared in the sunlight. However, anytime I parked in the garage.... the paint got that hazy look to it again. It drove me nuts.

Well, I contacted the people at Top of the Line. I told them my process, and they replied to me with nearly the exact same answer to the one listed above. I used too many steps.

They told me to start over, but this time don't use the Klasse. Just do the Leveler and then wax. I followed their advice, and the problem was solved. No more hazy look.

So.... moral of the story is... detailing really should be kept simple for the best results.

Now I just use wax every 2 months, unless I see swirl marks... in which case I use the Leveler and then wax.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

Blitz Wax for durability. P21S for depth of shine but not as durable or long-lasting. Sonax Liquid if you're going to use a machine but you can't get it in the US anymore
Old 06-09-2006, 01:29 AM
Senior Members

What is the best/cheapest webshop that will ship a bottle of Rejex to Norway?
Old 06-09-2006, 01:50 AM
Senior Members

What do you guys think about 3M?
Old 06-09-2006, 01:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Originally Posted by PoleApart' post='294674' date='Jun 8 2006, 11:23 PM
Only Autoglym for my babies
bratanki , each to his own, but the same here AutoGlym Heaven! re(minder) post http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=23562
Old 06-09-2006, 02:19 AM
Contributors

S100 is the same thing as p21s, but is cheaper and can be found at your local harley or bike shop.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Currently: (3/1/06) 2002 530i black on black prem, sport, cold, xenon.

Monaco Blue is a freaking beast to keep clean. EVERYTHING shows up. I've got a local Autopia detailer who did polish and 2 coats about 4 weeks ago. Water runs off beautifully due to 2 layers he used. I end up using Sonus detailing spritz and my California Duster almost every day and my car looks immaculate. That spritz stuff is simply amazing.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by rjcastr' post='294706' date='Jun 8 2006, 05:55 PM
Can someone post a link of the article that rates these waxes. I hear that most people who do a 5 step wax detail on their car are wasting their time, that there are a lot of one step wax compounds that are just as great like Meguiars NXT that's just what i have heard, ive also heard that synthetic is not so great for your paint.

Can anyone confirm?
Go to www.autopia.org I'm sure you will find what your looking for if not just ask and some one
will help you out with that or any other detail questions you have.
cheers
vern

Quick Reply: Best Car Wax