Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Any benefits to layering wax/sealant?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 11:05 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 525

Any benefits to doing multiple coats of wax or sealant? From what i know (and have read on the meguiars forums), both waxes and sealants have chemicals in them to ensure they bond properly, so applying a coat on top of another coat (say, a few days in between) is pointless since the chemicals partially strip the layer thats already there. But on other forums people swear by this. Are mutliple coats marketing hype or do they have a point?
Old 11-10-2009, 11:14 AM
Senior Members

Sealants are generally used as a "primer" before waxing or if weather prevails or time constraints it can be used as a wax but remember it doesnt have the properties of a wax..Using Multiple coats adds more depth then finishing using a high end finish wax gives you that awesome mirror finish.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:25 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by 525iEnjoy' post='1051838' date='Nov 10 2009, 10:14 PM
Sealants are generally used as a "primer" before waxing or if weather prevails or time constraints it can be used as a wax but remember it doesnt have the properties of a wax..
I think some sealant "waxes" are at least equally protective as real carnauba based waxes. FK1000P for example.
But it's true that sealants can be used as a base for a wax, but not opposite. Sealants don't bond with carnauba very well.

Then, back to original question...
I think layering the wax or sealant is a wise thing to do. It depends on detergents in the wax/sealant, how much it will strip the previous layer. Or, if the wax/sealant is slightly abrasive, then it will strip the previous layer(s) off.

When the previous layer is fully cured, a new layer usually doesn't have the "power" to strip it, but like I said, it depends on wax/sealant used.

- Antti -
Old 11-10-2009, 04:08 PM
Members

My Ride: e60
Model Year: 2008

actually, most sealants are more protective than carnaubas in that they last much longer.

when you layer, its generally sealant coats first, then the lsp. alternating layers is usually doesn't last as long, though it is possible with certain products. people layer because they feel the effect is better than stand-alone of the other two products, but its highly paint-dependent, environment-dependant, and totally subjective.

i prefer 2x-3x layers of os, followed by 1x layer of p21s100 on my sapphire black, but 2x layers of os with no lsp looks best on the wife's sand dollar white lexus. the os seals for a very long time indeed, while the p21s makes the black look deep (to me). i live in tx, so i don't need to worry about sand/salt so much, otherwise, i'd probably be trying different combinations.

detailing can be a hoot -- have fun and experiment!
Old 11-10-2009, 05:14 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dowe' post='1051997' date='Nov 10 2009, 07:08 PM
actually, most sealants are more protective than carnaubas in that they last much longer.
+1

There are cases where you can layer a sealant on top of wax. Zaino, for example, suggests that you can use Zaino Clear Seal over a wax coat ... after the wax has cured for 12+ hours.

I may try this soon by applying 2 coats of Zaino Z-5, one coat of Z-2, and then a layer of Pinnacle Souveran. Let the wax cure, and then a final coat of Clear Seal. I'm hoping this combo will provide good winter protection - and look deep and wet.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: I have an 05 545i. It's a manual with a few options. This is my first BMW but I don't know how I'll ever be able to switch to something else.

Sealants are for the most part, more durable than waxes. But some waxes, like Collinite 915, are super durable and are on par with sealants.

To the original question: yes it's beneficial. Say you have a dark car and want the protection of the sealant, but the depth from a wax. Then you can layer them and you get the best of both worlds. And it is true that some waxes and sealants have cleaners in them that will remove old layers, but if it doesn't then you are golden. However, you must wait and let the sealant cure before layering it with more sealant or a wax. The same goes for just waxes, you need to let it air out first or else you could get some hazing.