Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Annoying Problem: Cleaning Tips Needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 01:49 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need some help on a couple annoying detail problems Im having:

1. Metal Trim: Whats the best way to clean & protect the metal door trim around our windows (black on my car)? I have fingerprint problems & want to avoid general wear & discoloration.

2. Glass Pitting: My frond windshield has lost of knicks & pits its accumulated over time. Nothing big, just several very small pits from road rash, freeway driving, etc. I know the BMW window is both expensive & sensitive & dont want to screw it up, but would love to "buff" out these pits if possible.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:22 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 BMW 530I

This has to be the funniest post I have read.

Fingerprints...... wear gloves and that should help from the fingerprinting wear on the car.
Black on my car... I have no idea what that means!!
Glass pitting.... I would guess putting a plastic shield cover on the windshield should take care of that.

I know the BMW is the "ultimate driving machine" but I promise you if you drive it, it will have wear and tear no matter what you do. Next I will be reading how to drive a BMW without getting wear and tear on the engine parts.

But seriously if you want to keep the metal trim looking good I have found a product that has worked wonders for me. It is called Gord's Aluminum-Chrome cleaner-polish-sealer. It works wonders if you follow the instructions.
For the window pits I have heard of a wax they use to fill the pits and it is also used for rain guard on the windshield. This wax you have to buff on the window and you can only get it online. I found it once online and tried to find it in a local store and couldn't. When I thought about buying it online again I forgot the name of it so just gave up. Hope this helps
Old 08-13-2012, 02:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by seanjordan
This has to be the funniest post I have read.

Fingerprints...... wear gloves and that should help from the fingerprinting wear on the car.
Black on my car... I have no idea what that means!!
Glass pitting.... I would guess putting a plastic shield cover on the windshield should take care of that.

I know the BMW is the "ultimate driving machine" but I promise you if you drive it, it will have wear and tear no matter what you do. Next I will be reading how to drive a BMW without getting wear and tear on the engine parts.

But seriously if you want to keep the metal trim looking good I have found a product that has worked wonders for me. It is called Gord's Aluminum-Chrome cleaner-polish-sealer. It works wonders if you follow the instructions.
For the window pits I have heard of a wax they use to fill the pits and it is also used for rain guard on the windshield. This wax you have to buff on the window and you can only get it online. I found it once online and tried to find it in a local store and couldn't. When I thought about buying it online again I forgot the name of it so just gave up. Hope this helps

He must have a sport thats why he has black metal trim.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:37 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 BMW 530I

Originally Posted by 545IblupasdU
He must have a sport thats why he has black metal trim.
Ok, I didnt know what he meant by black.

For the original poster. Do not use the Gords on the black metal trim. It is only for the chrome trim. Good luck trying to find out how to keep the fingerprints off of that.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i sport package

For the metal trim, just hit it with some type of quick detailer every now and then to remove the prints. There is no way to avoid getting prints other than not to touch it. I don't think there's anything to help with the chips.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:00 PM
Members

Thanks.

I am aware that I live in a world where fingers are used & make prints.
But Im an enthusiast on an enthusiast board asking corner case type questions...

That said, on the black metal trim around the windows, they pile up, look ugly & generally discolor things. If you have any lotion/sun screen on them, forget about it.
Im concerned on long term impact of oil on metal as well as I plan to keep my ride for many more years.

onetime: when you say quick detailer, is there a specific product? crazy but soap & water works great 90% of the time. lol.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:54 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

You can always take your shadow line trim off and repaint it. they snap o/off very easily
For glass, you can use a clay bar to clean as far as pitting is concerned...no way to fix that.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i sport package

I keep a spray bottle of Meguires detailer in the trunk just in case. Easier than soap and water, but soap and water works just as well.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:41 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2009 535i Sport
Model Year: 2009
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by Maddog-99
Thanks.

I am aware that I live in a world where fingers are used & make prints.
But Im an enthusiast on an enthusiast board asking corner case type questions...

That said, on the black metal trim around the windows, they pile up, look ugly & generally discolor things. If you have any lotion/sun screen on them, forget about it.
Im concerned on long term impact of oil on metal as well as I plan to keep my ride for many more years.

onetime: when you say quick detailer, is there a specific product? crazy but soap & water works great 90% of the time. lol.
Look, there's really only two options man: don't touch the trim, or clean it after someone does. Not sure what else can really be said about it.

Soap and water is exactly what I would use, nothing more is needed. There are also products at every Autozone/OReilly's/etc. called quick detailers, I have the Meguiar's quick detailer than comes with their clay bar kits. But again soap and water on a rag is all it takes.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:12 AM
Members

Thanks. Im going to find me some quick detailer & put it in the trunk...

Quick Reply: Annoying Problem: Cleaning Tips Needed