Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Your BMW "loaner"

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 02:03 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525D M Sport, Carbon Black with Natural Brown Leather. Media Pack.

Sorry no pics at present, I'm not at home during daylight until the weekend.

My 07 LCI 525d MSport has been in the dealers for nearly 3 weeks now, while they try to solve the intermittent power loss problem (no fault codes).,

The first loaner was an 09 525i SE Auto, with Media pack, leather and heated seats, so same extras as mine. It is noticeably softer and rolls more, the back feeling much looser than the MSport. Slightly more comfortable running on 50 aspect ratio runflats than the MSport's 40's, nowhere near as attractive in my opinion (obviously completely unbiased). I am not a great fan of Auto boxes and this did nothing to hange my mind, often changed when I didn't want it to, not always that smooth although full-throttle changes were impressively smooth and quick. On paper a 525i is faster than a 525d but subjectively it didn't feel it. The plus side of the petrol is that it is quieter and more refined, the downside is 29 mpg versus 44!
The only time I was glad of the auto was once in a lengthy traffic jam.
I really missed the lowdown punch of the diesel, and never wished mine was a 525i.

Yesterday the increased emissions light came on, so back to the dealers and into a '10 318d Msport Auto, the only extra being leather. So back to reading Maps on my visits to clients. Oh no I thought, this is going to be dire. How wrong I was, the handling/roadholding is great, like a Mini but without the harsh ride on 17" 45 aspect ratio runflats (Bridgestones). The auto box works much better with the 2 litre diesel than it did with the 3 litre petrol, and feels faster until you get above 60mph when you could do with a bit more go, but it certainly isn't painfully slow. The real plus is 50 mpg. It has led's under the door handles which light up when you open the car, and also led number plate and rear lights, which look cool. I don't know what the leather is, but it is better than my 5 with contrast stitching, looks and feels really good. I do however miss some of the luxury feel you get in a 5, but the 3 is still a great car, and by no means too small.
I would have the 318d MSport over the 525i SE given the choice.

Still can't wait to get my 525d back though, might have to wash the 3 if I've still got it over Easter (Sapphire Black, looks terrible dirty).
Old 04-02-2010, 12:01 PM
Senior Members

Had fun with the 4 door 335i loaner w/ paddle shifter over lunch. This exhaust sounds more sporty than our very muted 535i exhaust.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by G530
Had fun with the 4 door 335i loaner w/ paddle shifter over lunch. This exhaust sounds more sporty than our very muted 535i exhaust.
so get an rpi exhaust already
Old 04-02-2010, 12:30 PM
Senior Members

You're bad boy Gene (must admit, was thinking the exact same thing all through out lunch).

Long story but if I spend anymore on mods, the Mrs will stop at nothing to get her new kitchen upgrade !! I can't sneak this one in like I did the GIAC and hankooks

Hey, what about paddle shifter? Anyone had this done?
Old 04-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by G530
You're bad boy Gene (must admit, was thinking the exact same thing all through out lunch).

Long story but if I spend anymore on mods, the Mrs will stop at nothing to get her new kitchen upgrade !! I can't sneak this one in like I did the GIAC and hankooks

Hey, what about paddle shifter? Anyone had this done?
SAT retrofit:

http://forums.5serie...c-sat-retrofit/

just get the rpi exhaust and purchase the silencers

https://5series.net/forums/topic/962...st__p__1142898
Old 04-02-2010, 01:41 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
SAT retrofit:

http://forums.5serie...c-sat-retrofit/

just get the rpi exhaust and purchase the silencers

https://5series.net/forums/topic/962...st__p__1142898

Man, you're so resourceful. Thank you!
Old 05-25-2010, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

dropped off my car today @ Center BMW due to possible hpfp failure, here's my loaner: 335 xDrive coupe..

Old 05-25-2010, 03:35 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
dropped off my car today @ Center BMW due to possible hpfp failure, here's my loaner: 335 xDrive coupe..

Oh no.. best of luck to you on that one Gene. Tell me it ain't so..
Old 05-25-2010, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by redEYEjedi
Oh no.. best of luck to you on that one Gene. Tell me it ain't so..
thanx Mel..this past sunday I had the engine reduced power code and rough idle, went away a few minutes later after I let the car sit/killed the engine, but better to be safe than sorry...6 more months left on this lease If it is the hpfp, hope it's a one time fix....I've heard the latest hpfp part (new PN) is the fix....hope I get that one and it's true...
Old 05-25-2010, 04:50 PM
Contributors

Dropped off my 530 for the passenger seat sensor failure .. I've been out of warranty but apparently this one was covered. I wish they gave me a 335, I got an AW 328Xi instead. Wack sauce, will post pics tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Your BMW "loaner"