Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

You'll Enjoy this One!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 12:22 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Since delivery of my car (Feb 04), I noticed that when my wife (weighs 140lbs) sits in the passenger seat, the passenger airbag light turns on showing that either no one is sitting in the seat or that the person is too light (i.e. baby, child). I called my service advisor and he said that the sensors in the seat are setup to not deploy the airbag if someone weighs less than 95lbs (he showed me the specs on it). Problem is, my wife weighs more than that. God forbid, we get in an accident and a $50K plus car doesn't deploy its passenger airbags!

After more than two months of compaining about this, here's the response I get from the shop foreman that just got back from 5 series tech training in S. Carolina:

"That concern was addressed at the 5 series class I am currently attending. At present there is not a fix for this. If the light is flickering off and on, the reccommendation from the Instructor and Techline is to have his wife sit in the backseat to ensure her protection. I assure you that he is not alone in his problem and as soon as a fix is available I will e-mail him personally."

Nothing like paying that kind of money for a car and having them tell me my wife should sit in the backseat for her protection! Does anyone know the best way to escalate this to BMW NA?

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Wouldn't the logical thing be to just replace the seat? The service department said they tested the sensor and they are fine...but something is definitely wrong here!
Old 08-09-2004, 12:25 PM
Senior Members

1-800 831-1117

BMW customer Service.. maybe they can help you you........

that's ridiculous........ they're aware of a safety issue and all they can tell you is.. yeah.. hold oh.....

it's like going to the doctor complaining that you have pain and he tells you just try not to repeat that motion...........................
Old 08-09-2004, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

They have some problem what they currently can't fix. It's not the sensor, and a software update doen't fix it either.
If I would be in the US I would file a law suit, because it's unsafe for the passenger, so the car is NOT SAFE!!! Mabe that would get them to do their job, ARE YOU READING THIS BMW ???
Old 08-09-2004, 12:44 PM
Senior Members

I called my service advisor and he said that the sensors in the seat are setup to not deploy the airbag if someone weighs less than 95lbs (he showed me the specs on it).
my girlfriend weighs less than 95lbs but the airbag light is off every time she sits in there. i know you guys must say she gained weight but actually not. iceman, should i file a lawsuit and saying the car is still not safe because the airbag will deploy even that person is under 95lbs ?
Old 08-09-2004, 12:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Does this only concern US cars?? My wife is 140 lbs too.. Fortunately I am almost 190 So she will have to drive me all the time with me sitting in the backseat reading a newspaper
Old 08-09-2004, 01:09 PM
New E60 Owner

If I may shed my insight on this

It is true to an extent that the pas air bag will not deploy if the seat sensor does not pick up any weight on it. However, the Pas side airbag WILL deploy even if the seat sensor does not pick up the weight, as long as the pas side seat belt buckle is buckled.

So.... either stop dating/marrying girls who are a size 0, or make sure they are buckled up!!
Old 08-09-2004, 01:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

To the unregistered user: what reference are you using for that info..?
If that were the logic shouldn't the warning go off - if it recognised the seat belt
buckle..?

Thanks
Old 08-09-2004, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by andy545' date='Aug 9 2004, 11:11 PM
To the unregistered user: what reference are you using for that info..?
If that were the logic shouldn't the warning go off - if it recognised the seat belt
buckle..?

Thanks
I would like to know that too. I've never heard about that...
Old 08-09-2004, 01:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I find statements like this dangerous because if they aren't a fact people can get injured.. Nothing personall but I would rather have an opinion of a fellow member of this board to get rid off my concern.

+ do we get the same warning in europe too on our cars???
Old 08-09-2004, 01:19 PM
Senior Members

So.... either stop dating/marrying girls who are a size 0, or make sure they are buckled up!!
i'd rather a size 0 than a size 20 !

Quick Reply: You'll Enjoy this One!