Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Wheel Damaged by Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 04:15 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2013 M5 - Sakhir Orange / Black Leather.

Put my winter 17" Blizzaks on a few weeks ago. This morning I took my summer 19" BMW 101 wheels to my dealer to have them mount new Michelin PS2s that Tire Rack delivered last week. The wheels were immaculate. No scratches, brake dust etching - nothing. I even used a plastic scraper and adhesive remover last night to remove the old weights. I am extremely particular.

Anyway, stop by around 5:30 this afternoon to pick them up. I know them really well and walked back to the shop. The tech was still working on them. I took a look at one of them (front wheel) and there's a half inch scratch on the rim lip and a 5 mm ding in one of the spokes near the hub. He said he screwed up - that was the first one he did and he put on the machine good side up. Apparently they're supposed to go on good side down. Ouch. The others looked ok, but I didn't inspect them too intensly.

So, the shop foreman comes out and says they'll have it fixed or I'll get a new wheel. I asked who pays for it and he said the tech. For my own personal solace, I need it to be fixed. My car is essentially perfect, even after two years as a daily driver.

Couple quesitons. First, can the wheel be fixed? If not, should I have the dealer replace it, knowing it comes out of the tech's pocket (retail price is ~$800).
Old 12-03-2007, 04:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by pa550' post='502293' date='Dec 3 2007, 08:15 PM
Put my winter 17" Blizzaks on a few weeks ago. This morning I took my summer 19" BMW 101 wheels to my dealer to have them mount new Michelin PS2s that Tire Rack delivered last week. The wheels were immaculate. No scratches, brake dust etching - nothing. I even used a plastic scraper and adhesive remover last night to remove the old weights. I am extremely particular.
Had the same thing when I had my original Dunlop Thumpflats replaced under warranty with new ones. A pencil-eraser sized through-the paint-gouge in one wheel (and faint marks on all the others). I complained and demoted their service followup rating because of it and never heard anything more....other than decreased willingness to take care of me, owing, I assume, to the legitimate service reivew.

Be careful.
Ray
Old 12-03-2007, 04:35 PM
Senior Members

I'm just plain old PO'd.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

For about $120 they can be fixed to OEM , you'll never know , just make sure they pay !!

Cheers
Old 12-03-2007, 05:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='502329' date='Dec 3 2007, 09:15 PM
For about $120 they can be fixed to OEM , you'll never know , just make sure they pay !!

Cheers
+1 It's an easy fix. A pro can handle much worse.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:46 PM
Members

FWIW, Maybe you want a new wheel? As it was explained to me (when I was contemplating a similar situation), the 'wheel fix' options out there are less than perfect. I saw a MB AMG with a 'wheel fix' job. The chrome paint was bleeding into the bolt areas and if further damage occurs to the area the painted surface starts to scratch off (like flakes).

It hits a tech hard in the pocket, but maybe teaches them to be more careful in the future? I would imagine that a dealer should be in a position to negotiate cost or at least wholesale pricing for the replacement wheel.

04 545i | sport | nav | cwp | logic7 | xenons
* Retired 99 750il;
* Retired 97 M3 with Dinan enhancements;
* Retired 92 525i;
Old 12-03-2007, 10:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 530i Color: Jet Black/Black Anthracite STEP | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 EXTERIOR: M-Tech Kit | M5 Mirrors, Trunk Finisher | Jet Black Kidney Surrounds | Madico Charcool Tint 54%, 35% LIGHTING: Euro-Headlights | Euro-LCI Tail Lights | AiB V3.0 | Solaris Invisi-bulbs | OEM LED Plate Lights PERFORMANCE: Porterfield R4-S Brake Pads | K&N Air Filter WHEELS & SUSPENSION: Work VS-XX 20x9, 20x10 | Toyo T1R 245/30/20, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 295/25/20 | KW V2 Coilovers | Rogue Engineering 15mm Spacers

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='502303' date='Dec 3 2007, 05:33 PM
...other than decreased willingness to take care of me, owing, I assume, to the legitimate service reivew.
Seems like that's the consensus around here regarding giving service ratings of sub-perfect (5-stars). I have yet to take my car to the dealership and makes me think twice about giving low scores? Whenever I take surveys, I usually give neutral scores (I'm assuming 3 stars in this case) for regular work. Unless they're giving me great customer service and going above and beyond, why do they deserve perfect scores?
Old 12-03-2007, 11:55 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

The damage you have described should be easily fixable. I am impressed with the fact that the tech owned up to having screwed up, and with the foreman for offering up front to have the wheel fixed or replaced. That's a level of honesty and integrity that is rare these days and would make me want to rate these guys up rather than down.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:04 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

Originally Posted by MacSid' post='502420' date='Dec 4 2007, 12:55 AM
The damage you have described should be easily fixable. I am impressed with the fact that the tech owned up to having screwed up, and with the foreman for offering up front to have the wheel fixed or replaced. That's a level of honesty and integrity that is rare these days and would make me want to rate these guys up rather than down.
+1. same thing happened to me a while back when i had a nail in the inside sidewall of the front right wheel. they fixed it the next day and looked like nothing happened.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:59 AM
Senior Members

As a port mortem on my wheel issue, the dealer sent it off to a place in Baltimore (they removed the tire first). The guy in Baltimore took the wheel apart (there has to be 50 torx rivets around the perimeter) and repainted it and then replace the rivets with new ones from BBS. Not a perfect paint job on it (some minor peel between the spokes which you can feel), but only I will ever know and it's not worth being a complete jerk over. Bottom line is they did right by me.

Quick Reply: Wheel Damaged by Dealer