Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

What Would You Do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 11:35 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

Summary of my present situation:

2007 550i sport ordered in Sept. Delivered 1st week of November. Relatively minor accident occurrs on November 21, 2006 (swerved to avoid a turning car and contact granite curbing with rear pass. wheel - not at fault, but it's irrelevant). Damage (now known in hindsight) to rear passenger side wheel, rear pass. side control arms, rear pass. side sub frame, pass. side head air bag deployed and anthracite headiner creased from airbag deployment. I drove the car to the dealer immediately after accident. No body damage - thank god (esp. w/m aero). My biggest concern at that point is the suspension. 1st question I ask my service advisor - please let me know if there is suspension damage.

- Dealer calls after thanksgiving to tell me Head airbag is not available worldwide, and when I again ask about suspension "we looked at it, and everything is fine"
- later that week the tire and wheel arrive at dealer
- The following week I call BMWNA and devise a proposal to have the dealer release car w/out airbag until part arrives - BMWNA consents and I'm almost successful, but ultimately request is denied by dealer's atty.
- I wait patiently and on 12/15 - 13 days ago - airbag arrives
- 12/20 after numerous calls to service advisor, he discloses that they ordered a regular headliner, not anthracite - how is that possible if they used the VIN to order parts? The anthracite headliner is on rush order and arrives on 12/22.
- Phone call from dealer on 12/22 at 3:00 p.m. "Your car is all done, but it is pulling to the right. We cannot release it because the rear control arms are bent. We ordered them today, they should be here tomorrow, also we need the tire pressure sensor from the old wheel (I had taken it from the dealer previously)"
- I stop by dealer on 12/26 to drop off tire pressure sensor and see my car. Headliner is done, but the rear wheel has obvious positive camber (top of the wheel almost sticks out beyond fender). They tell me "shooting for tomorrow"
- Call from BMW NA this morning 12/28 "your control arms arrived at the dealer this morning and I have assurances that your car will be done today"
- Conversation with my insurance rep early afternoon 12/28 "I am just leaving the dealer now and by the way, don't expect your car back today. They have the parts, but I spoke with the tech and he hasn't even started the work yet and he doesn't think he can begin until after new years."
- Obviously I called the dealer and BMWNA. They again are shooting for today.

Here's my question to the board. What would you do to get some accountability for the mediocre way in which this repair was handled and more importantly decrease the likelihood of it happenning to any customers of the dealer in the future? Going to another dealer is not very practical for me. Rating them poorly on the phone survey will only do so much. I have been given a mailing address to forward a formal complaint letter to BMWNA. But in the end run I think the only punitive measure than can be taken against the dealer by BMWNA is revocation of the franchise, and that's not going to happen on the basis of one complaint. I am looking for some creative suggestions to "get the word out" as to how average this particular dealer's service department is.

I fault them for 1) sloppiness with ordering the headliner (which was there for 2+ weeks before they realized it was the wrong color); 2) likely lying about the suspension being fine when I first brought it in since the problem is obvious to the naked eye; and 3) MOST IMPORTANTLY - failing to take the initiative to do all the work possible while waiting for the airbag. The suspension could have been addressed in that time. It has been 37 days since I have driven my brand new car. What would you do?

Happy New Year,
DRP
Old 12-28-2006, 11:58 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

So sorry to hear about you accident 550isport.

Luckily no one was hurt!

The suspensions is no deal - the frame is!
If they do not manage to get your car go straight, the frame is arched.

This has much to do with your (or actually the second hand parts) insurace company!
The discussions between them and BMW makes all the differance!
Old 12-28-2006, 12:38 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i

Hell I had the dealer drive the crap out of mine, when I took it in for the SZL. I complained to Munich, and it didn't do no good. Not much corse of action for me over here. Going to the BMW dealer for repairs reminds me of the soup nazi. Just be nice to them, and maybe take them a couple bottles of Champagne for the New Years.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:26 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

sorry to hear about the incident.. good luck with everything.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

Originally Posted by 550isport' post='371852' date='Dec 28 2006, 03:35 PM
Summary of my present situation:

2007 550i sport ordered in Sept. Delivered 1st week of November. Relatively minor accident occurrs on November 21, 2006 (swerved to avoid a turning car and contact granite curbing with rear pass. wheel - not at fault, but it's irrelevant). Damage (now known in hindsight) to rear passenger side wheel, rear pass. side control arms, rear pass. side sub frame, pass. side head air bag deployed and anthracite headiner creased from airbag deployment. I drove the car to the dealer immediately after accident. No body damage - thank god (esp. w/m aero). My biggest concern at that point is the suspension. 1st question I ask my service advisor - please let me know if there is suspension damage.

- Dealer calls after thanksgiving to tell me Head airbag is not available worldwide, and when I again ask about suspension "we looked at it, and everything is fine"
- later that week the tire and wheel arrive at dealer
- The following week I call BMWNA and devise a proposal to have the dealer release car w/out airbag until part arrives - BMWNA consents and I'm almost successful, but ultimately request is denied by dealer's atty.
- I wait patiently and on 12/15 - 13 days ago - airbag arrives
- 12/20 after numerous calls to service advisor, he discloses that they ordered a regular headliner, not anthracite - how is that possible if they used the VIN to order parts? The anthracite headliner is on rush order and arrives on 12/22.
- Phone call from dealer on 12/22 at 3:00 p.m. "Your car is all done, but it is pulling to the right. We cannot release it because the rear control arms are bent. We ordered them today, they should be here tomorrow, also we need the tire pressure sensor from the old wheel (I had taken it from the dealer previously)"
- I stop by dealer on 12/26 to drop off tire pressure sensor and see my car. Headliner is done, but the rear wheel has obvious positive camber (top of the wheel almost sticks out beyond fender). They tell me "shooting for tomorrow"
- Call from BMW NA this morning 12/28 "your control arms arrived at the dealer this morning and I have assurances that your car will be done today"
- Conversation with my insurance rep early afternoon 12/28 "I am just leaving the dealer now and by the way, don't expect your car back today. They have the parts, but I spoke with the tech and he hasn't even started the work yet and he doesn't think he can begin until after new years."
- Obviously I called the dealer and BMWNA. They again are shooting for today.

Here's my question to the board. What would you do to get some accountability for the mediocre way in which this repair was handled and more importantly decrease the likelihood of it happenning to any customers of the dealer in the future? Going to another dealer is not very practical for me. Rating them poorly on the phone survey will only do so much. I have been given a mailing address to forward a formal complaint letter to BMWNA. But in the end run I think the only punitive measure than can be taken against the dealer by BMWNA is revocation of the franchise, and that's not going to happen on the basis of one complaint. I am looking for some creative suggestions to "get the word out" as to how average this particular dealer's service department is.

I fault them for 1) sloppiness with ordering the headliner (which was there for 2+ weeks before they realized it was the wrong color); 2) likely lying about the suspension being fine when I first brought it in since the problem is obvious to the naked eye; and 3) MOST IMPORTANTLY - failing to take the initiative to do all the work possible while waiting for the airbag. The suspension could have been addressed in that time. It has been 37 days since I have driven my brand new car. What would you do?

Happy New Year,
DRP
For whatever its worth, I was told today, January 5th that my car will be ready by the end of the day. The car still has the original headliner in it. The 2nd headiner they ordered was for a 5 with anthracite headliner - without a sunroof (euro spec?). It will have to go back once they get the correct headliner in. Regardless of what condition its in, I'll be happy to get my car back today (fingers crossed).

My best advice to the board is - when dropping your car off for repairs or any work, confirm with your service rep. that all the parts are in stock before you surrender your car. If they aren't, or their availability is questionable, keep your car and wait until they arrive.

Regards,
DRP
Old 01-05-2007, 10:21 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 550isport' post='373979' date='Jan 5 2007, 02:01 PM
For whatever its worth, I was told today, January 5th that my car will be ready by the end of the day. The car still has the original headliner in it. The 2nd headiner they ordered was for a 5 with anthracite headliner - without a sunroof (euro spec?). It will have to go back once they get the correct headliner in. Regardless of what condition its in, I'll be happy to get my car back today (fingers crossed).

My best advice to the board is - when dropping your car off for repairs or any work, confirm with your service rep. that all the parts are in stock before you surrender your car. If they aren't, or their availability is questionable, keep your car and wait until they arrive.

Regards,
DRP
She's back! What a relief! I took her for a nice long ride. What a joy even in spite of the rain and fog. I must say that my dealer was very professional and entirely humble about explaining why the repair took so long. They even accepted some responsibility for not being more aggressive with the timetable and made a generous gesture of compensation for my troubles. I can say that after today, my full faith and confidence has been restored in my dealer. After all, they did service my last BMW for 5 wonderful years without a hitch. All's well that ends well.

Regards,
A very content DRP