Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

What software do I NEED ?? - My dealer thing I am DumbASS

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 07:19 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i Automatic - Premium - 19" M166 - Logic 7 - No Nav

Hi,

I just want to kill someone... This morning, I went to my local dealer and told them about my 2004 being no up to date (no bluetooth, hesitating Idle, no Mp3 playback and more). I friendly told them that my car might need updated software. The SA looked and me like if I were dumbjoe and told me that they know what to do... Ok, at that point, I was still understanding. 1 hour later, the chief foreman told me that there is no such thing as update to ver 20.0.0... or something like that. I told them, yes, there is such thing... I read it... He told me what I can read on E60.net is mostly B.S and that here in Canada, they do not need to respect BMWNA Tis etc...

At that point, i felt stupid since I was not even able to tell him in his face what the software is exactly.

Can someone here give me the Real "terms" and titles so I can shoot at him next time I visit him ? What are the appropriate terms I need to know about upgrading a.b.c etc... on my car ?

Thanks
Old 09-19-2006, 07:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Mz3bo' post='336170' date='Sep 19 2006, 08:19 AM
Hi,

I just want to kill someone... This morning, I went to my local dealer and told them about my 2004 being no up to date (no bluetooth, hesitating Idle, no Mp3 playback and more). I friendly told them that my car might need updated software. The SA looked and me like if I were dumbjoe and told me that they know what to do... Ok, at that point, I was still understanding. 1 hour later, the chief foreman told me that there is no such thing as update to ver 20.0.0... or something like that. I told them, yes, there is such thing... I read it... He told me what I can read on E60.net is mostly B.S and that here in Canada, they do not need to respect BMWNA Tis etc...

At that point, i felt stupid since I was not even able to tell him in his face what the software is exactly.

Can someone here give me the Real "terms" and titles so I can shoot at him next time I visit him ? What are the appropriate terms I need to know about upgrading a.b.c etc... on my car ?

Thanks
You need to find a new SA and make your displeasure known to the general manager at the dealer. If Canada is like the US the suggestion of poor survey feedback will hopefully get you what you need. At the end of the software updates are there to address issues more than provide new functionality but it sounds like you have these (idle problems) and the update to address that may help with the others. There's absolutely no excuse for your SA and the foreman to be such condescending (and inaccurate) pricks!! if I were you I'd politely but firmly take this right up the chain at the dealer and make sure you get a decent SA that will work with you. One suggestion - I've seen for myself that sometimes it is however better to let the appropriate remedy (software update) be the SA's idea and not yours, it's just human nature to push back a bit when you think someone's telling you how to do your job!
Old 09-19-2006, 10:46 AM
Senior Members

I'm not saying that your SA had the right to talk to you in a condescending way, but he may not have been wrong. Not every place in the world has the same software version, maybe Canada isn't at version 20 yet and maybe they don't have to follow BMW NA guidelines.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

Heiss5.. dont think he ment that there isnt v 20.0..
i think he ment his SA told him that there are no car updates..

i persoonaly dont blame my SA when he doesnt understand what i say or doesnt know what im talking about...it happens alot mine didnt even know about the aux-in, and told me mp3 is not possible without parts...i just politely ask him to write down what i say and hand it to the mechanics/technicians and hope they will understand they mostly do a good job...

i think your mp3 complant alone will get the car updated in some deallers others like mine ONLY update the car to fix a problem otherwise they say they will charge me....
Old 09-19-2006, 01:12 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by madoon' post='336346
1 hour later, the chief foreman told me that there is no such thing as update to ver 20.0.0... or something like that. I told them, yes, there is such thing.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

Heiss5..no problem...perhaps im the one whos mistakenn..

Originally Posted by Mz3bo' post='336170' date='Sep 19 2006, 06:19 PM
I read it... He told me what I can read on E60.net is mostly B.S and that here in Canada, they do not need to respect BMWNA Tis etc...
Thanks

i wounder what the dealler will think he will think if comes here and reads this post
Old 10-02-2006, 07:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Mz3bo' post='336170' date='Sep 19 2006, 11:19 AM
Hi,

Thanks
Of course your dealer may be correct about not having to follow BMWNA. However, BMWNA is just passing on the appropriate BMWAG service information that applies to our US SPEC cars. You can be sure when there is a major PROGMAN (formerly CIP) release such as going from 22.xx to 23.xx as signified by the SIB notice that it applies to the whole world in general although some specific applications MAY not apply to one location or another. Within BMW there are also smaller PROGMAN updates that can be handled by CenterNet or other BMW online systems that may be like going from 23.00.00 to 23.00.01 or 23.01.00. These may be specific to one geographic market location or another. But still, Canada will follow in pretty much lock step. They may also differ on warranty coverage and what constitutes what conditions they will upgrade. What is on our board is factual to the best of anyones ability when we refer to BMWs own material. Other than that it is opinions based on experience. I'm sure some of your fellow Canadians could shead some light on how close or not these software upgrades follow in Canada.

I assume you have located some of the PROGMAN bulletins to download as either I or someone else has posted almost every one since CIP 13.1, but the latest will always have all the information dating back to CIP 10 as they do not change the SIB number, just keep updating it. Just do a search for PROGMAN (also add my forum name to narrow down some more if you like) and that should narrow the thread hits to a manageable few.

for instance that would have found this:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=Search...ighlite=PROGMAN

And if Canada were slower than USA on updating then they should be at least to 22.xx. That info you will find in the pdf attachment found in the thread above. If you inspect some of the other PROGMAN / CIP postings u will find comments from Europe and other locations that usually indicate around the same time line for being available.