Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

What is BMW NA Policy on Loaner, Courtesy BMWs?, I

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 07:00 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles
Thumbs down

Before I go to the trouble, does anyone here know what is BMW NA Policy on Loaner, Courtesy BMWs? You know it is always something! This past week my new e60 was at Nalley BMW in Decatur GA having 1st year service work performed plus I purchased some new rims to have installed. They let me use a courtesy 2004 BMW 330i with 10,000 miles, which was nice, but on the way home, I had a flat tire that the side wall blew out...Today when I went back to turn my courtesy in they presented my with a bill for: $182.61 for a brand new tire, plus their labor charge of $35.00, valve 1.63, deposer fee of 4.00 total 223.24,, (CLICK ON BELOW), and the Nalley BMW employee (Cheryl) handling the case, said sir don't worry I rip you off! (Yea Right!)

Question forum: Do you feel this is fair what they did to me, making me pay for a new tire, even though theirs had 10,000 miles on it? We are all here BMW owners and their customers, and remember if they did it to me they can do it to you also, because now a precedent has now been established, and good news about a new way for BMW dealer to make an extra buck or two travels fast to other BMW dealers in other states, and good BMW money making news I bet travels fast from: east to west!

Also the did get me assist fixed but now my factory 6 disc cd player will not work. It was working great when I took it in last week, but now it will not give me a cd position menu on my iDrive

Well I am out some money and time, and I hope what happened to me does not happen to you.

Sincerely,

Raymond Presley

=================
New Info from Nalley BMW:

Dear E60 Forum members:

Mon 4-25-05 @ 11:58hrs, This post is about the outcome of me paying new tire fees and labor, for a flat tire on a 10,000 mile loaner BMW 330i.

I received a phone call from Mr. Clay Nalley the owner of Nalley BMW himself, shared with me how he had just read my letter I sent last Friday, and how he apologizes for any inconvenience it might had caused me and is sending me a refund of $223.24 today.

In conclusion: With Mr. Nalley doing this, restore what faith I had lost in Nalley BMW, and it still by my personal experience Nalley BMW is still the #1 BMW dealer here in the Atlanta GA area in my book, and my family and I will continue doing all our auto business with Nalley BMW. (formally aka Chris BMW)

Sincerely,

R. Eddie Presley
Attached Thumbnails What is BMW NA Policy on Loaner, Courtesy BMWs?, I-scan0001.jpg  
Old 04-12-2005, 07:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

BMW NA does not have a policy. Each dealer makes their own policy. My dealer has so few loaners that I usually get one of their on site Enterprise Rent A Car pieces of junk. They just recently gave me a Hyundai!

Anyway, I can't believe they charged you for the tire. Man, they want to ruin your relationship over a couple hundred bucks?

Originally Posted by Presley348' date='Apr 12 2005, 09:00 PM
Before I go to the trouble, does anyone here know what is BMW NA Policy on Loaner, Courtesy BMWs? You know it is always something! This past week my new e60 was at Nalley BMW in Decatur GA having 1st year service work performed plus I purchased some new rims to have installed. They let me use a courtesy 2004 BMW 330i with 10,000 miles, which was nice, but on the way home, I had a flat tire that the side wall blew out...Today when I went back to turn my courtesy in they presented my with a bill for: $182.61 for a brand new tire, plus their labor charge of $35.00, valve 1.63, deposer fee of 4.00 total 223.24,, (CLICK ON BELOW), and the Nalley BMW employee (Cheryl) handling the case, said sir don't worry I rip you off! (Yea Right!)

Question forum: Do you feel this is fair what they did to me, making me pay for a new tire, even though theirs had 10,000 miles on it? We are all here BMW owners and their customers, and remember if they did it to me they can do it to you also, because now a precedent has now been established, and good news about a new way for BMW dealer to make an extra buck or two travels fast to other BMW dealers in other states, and good BMW money making news I bet travels fast from: east to west!?

Also the did get me assist fixed but now my factory 6 disc cd player will not work. It was working great when I took it in last week, but now it will not give me a cd position menu on my iDrive?

Well I am out some money and time, and I hope what happened to me does not happen to you.?

Sincerely,

Raymond Presley
[snapback]114730[/snapback]
Old 04-12-2005, 08:19 PM
Senior Members

They charged you to replace the tire on your courtesy car? That doesn't sound right. Did they prove you were abusing it or something? I would definitely raise a stink about that one, especially if they charged you full price for the tire.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:34 AM
Members

I don't know what I find more unbelievable, that they presented you with the bill or that you paid it. If the engine would have blown would they have presented you with a bill for $5K. I would definetly speak with the GM regarding this.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by redondoman' date='Apr 13 2005, 05:34 AM
I don't know what I find more unbelievable, that they presented you with the bill or that you paid it.? If the engine would have blown would they have presented you with a bill for $5K.? I would definetly speak with the GM regarding this.
[snapback]114802[/snapback]

Hi redondoman:

Yea that bill of 223.24 was way out of line for a used tire replacement in the first place, {maybe a test for others to see, how an Atlanta BMW dealer chooses to treat their valued customers?}, anyway at that time last week, I was in a big rush to get back to the local Atlanta hospital where my father was having open heart surgery, and Cheryl the service advisor knew this, and she stated to me: "don't worry, I understand about your father, and I will not rip you off", but Cheryl knew that and she caught me at a adverse time in my life where I did not have much time to argue with her or let the owner Mr. Clay Nalley be aware of what she did to me, but now I do, and I have contacted BMW NA, and will see what happens next. (All in All up to this point I have had a great experience, and I spent a little over $100,000.00 with Nalley BMW and Nalley Jaguar, but now this one Nalley BMW service advisor employee with her Nalley BMW support team, who I thought I could trust to do me right when adversity hits, can sure make me think twice about purchasing another new BMW or Jaguar S type from the Nalley Auto Group if I am not careful)

Sincerely,

Raymond Presley
Old 04-13-2005, 04:23 AM
Members

My Ride: 528i
Model Year: 2011

Hey, Presley348

First, I hope your father is OK after the surgery.

Second, each BMW dealer sets their own loaner policy. My dealer, Competition BMW of Smithtown, NY hands out Toyota Camrys. The one I had yesterday had the "Maintenance Required" light lit.

I can't believe that the dealer is so short sighted as to not use the loaner program to push interest in other BMWs. Maybe its time for BMW NA to get involved and establish some guidelines.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Hey Raymond,

Most important , hope your Dad is well and recovering ok.

I was going to initially state that in view of the fact that this was a rental car, your dealer can make a case that you should pay pro-rated cost of the new tire for the amount of time that you used their car. This may amount to $0.02 but after reading your post again it appears that you did not even use the new tire,rather,
they had the spare installed for your use and changed the tire only after you returned the courtesy car to the dealer.

If by some chance you settled the dealers invoice by means of a credit card I would call your credit card company and instruct them that you have no intention of paying this amount as you did not obtain the goods that they claim were sold to you.

I really find it hard to believe that the dealer can try to stiff you for this cost when in fact the new tire was for their car. You know there is a term known as
"The Cost of Doing Business", obviously your dealer does not care to understand
the benifits of this.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:32 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Wilchwitz' date='Apr 13 2005, 07:23 AM
. . .
I can't believe that the dealer is so short sighted as to not use the loaner program to push interest in other BMWs.? Maybe its time for BMW NA to get involved and establish some guidelines.
[snapback]114834[/snapback]
I too, marvel at my dealer's inflexible loaner program. They sell BMWs and Minis at my dealer, and I've asked them multiple time to give me one of the Mini loaners rather than a Bimmer when I've taken my car in for service. "No . . . can't be done . . . different business units . . . against policy."

Give the Mini owner a taste of a luxury auto, and the BMW owner the fun of a Mini. Opportunity lost.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:17 AM
Senior Members

It appears that on the margin the major market dealers are more likely to have less than stellar loaner programs (CA, NY, Chicago). This is likely just supply and demand; when you service 300 BMWs a month versus 100, you're going to have fewer decent loaners to lend out. Here in the heartland I always get another BMW (and once a Land Rover) - but I was specific about this when I got my car too. Knowing this, once they've told me they couldn't get me for a week because they won't have a loaner for me until then. I'm fine with that - I recognize they only have so many loaner cars (each of which they take a decent amount of depreciation on) and they'd like to keep that number to a minimum.

It's disappointing that a dealer in GA would try to get you to pay for their tire repair. It's not your tire. It matters not who was driving it when it failed. I would absolutely demand to be reimbursed. You're a nice guy, Ray (too nice) - you should have never paid that bill. I wonder if they're squeezing you because you don't have a lot of options to go elsewhere in your neck of the woods?
Old 04-24-2005, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Sans' date='Apr 13 2005, 09:17 AM
It appears that on the margin the major market dealers are more likely to have less than stellar loaner programs (CA, NY, Chicago).? This is likely just supply and demand; when you service 300 BMWs a month versus 100, you're going to have fewer decent loaners to lend out.? Here in the heartland I always get another BMW (and once a Land Rover) - but I was specific about this when I got my car too.? Knowing this, once they've told me they couldn't get me for a week because they won't have a loaner for me until then.? I'm fine with that - I recognize they only have so many loaner cars (each of which they take a decent amount of depreciation on) and they'd like to keep that number to a minimum.?

It's disappointing that a dealer in GA would try to get you to pay for their tire repair.? It's not your tire.? It matters not who was driving it when it failed.? I would absolutely demand to be reimbursed.? You're a nice guy, Ray (too nice) - you should have never paid that bill.? I wonder if they're squeezing you because you don't have a lot of options to go elsewhere in your neck of the woods?
[snapback]114885[/snapback]
Your estimate of volume is pretty low! My dealer is pretty small (not in a major metro area), and it still services between 35-50 cars per day. That's well over 100-300 per month!!

Quick Reply: What is BMW NA Policy on Loaner, Courtesy BMWs?, I