Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Warranty Repair Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 10:28 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Yeah, I'm sure I would have some problems if I brought in my modded car for warranty claims. I guess I was surprised that they spoke so loosely instead of making some disclaimer to protect themselves from future potential warranty claims.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' date='Oct 1 2005, 11:28 AM
Yeah, I'm sure I would have some problems if I brought in my modded car for warranty claims.? I guess I was surprised that they spoke so loosely instead of making some disclaimer to protect themselves from future potential warranty claims.
[snapback]177775[/snapback]
Keep in mind that verbal commitments won't override the written warranty, especially from somebody who isn't an authorized agent of a company (and a SA is not!).
Old 10-01-2005, 08:27 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by stream' date='Oct 1 2005, 05:01 PM
[quote name='EuroCarFan' date='Oct 1 2005, 11:28 AM']Yeah, I'm sure I would have some problems if I brought in my modded car for warranty claims.? I guess I was surprised that they spoke so loosely instead of making some disclaimer to protect themselves from future potential warranty claims.
Keep in mind that verbal commitments won't override the written warranty, especially from somebody who isn't an authorized agent of a company (and a SA is not!).
[snapback]177910[/snapback]
[/quote]

Actually for purposes of your example, the SA is an authorized agent of BMWNA.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:53 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' date='Oct 1 2005, 09:27 PM
[quote name='stream' date='Oct 1 2005, 05:01 PM'][quote name='EuroCarFan' date='Oct 1 2005, 11:28 AM']Yeah, I'm sure I would have some problems if I brought in my modded car for warranty claims.? I guess I was surprised that they spoke so loosely instead of making some disclaimer to protect themselves from future potential warranty claims.
[snapback]177910[/snapback]
[/quote]

Actually for purposes of your example, the SA is an authorized agent of BMWNA.
[snapback]178000[/snapback]
[/quote]

Given how uninformed many SAs are, you can't really believe BMW would consider them authorized agents--they're not even employed by BMW. Would you also consider the salesman an authorized agent of BMW?
Old 10-02-2005, 11:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by donv' date='Sep 29 2005, 11:06 PM
Hi All:

There has been much discussion about the potential for warranty-repair problems to occur given the installation of after-market parts. I am wondering about the warranty experiences of those with after-market performance parts, over-size wheels/tires, lowering kits, and after-market wheels in general. I am equally interested in hearing about good and bad warranty experiences.?

I have had little warranty work performed to date. My dealer has been nothing but encouraging about the after-market parts I have installed. My dealer seems eager to sell me after-market Dinan parts and continues to indicate that there should be no Dinan-related warranty problems. [In this regard, my dealer is a Dinan certified shop.]
[snapback]177239[/snapback]
I'm refreshing, and adding a tad to, my thoughts from post # 1 above. But, to add to what some are saying, I had a recent conversation with my SA. He indicated that he would make sure that I did nothing that he thought would yield the conclusion that a failure in an original part was caused by an aftermarket part. He also said that if a failure was believed to be caused by a Dinan part, then the worst possible case would be that Dinan would pay for the repair. Of course, what he said might not be definitive, but still I liked hearing it.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:47 PM
Members

You could get a different SA who has a completely different view on things and then you'd be screwed.

I had a buddy (who went to Stevens Creek and now goes to BMW of MV) get some work done and problems diagnosed that required parts to be ordered.

When the parts came it, he went back and got a different SA. The different SA refused to do the work that the ordered parts were for despite the previous SA okaying the work--his opinion that there was no problem. Can you believe that? He got into a shouting match and well, no longer uses them....
Old 10-03-2005, 05:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by ?gent99' date='Oct 3 2005, 12:47 AM
You could get a different SA who has a completely different view on things and then you'd be screwed.

I had a buddy (who went to Stevens Creek and now goes to BMW of MV) get some work done and problems diagnosed that required parts to be ordered.

When the parts came it, he went back and got a different SA.? The different SA refused to do the work that the ordered parts were for despite the previous SA okaying the work--his opinion that there was no problem.? Can you believe that?? He got into a shouting match and well, no longer uses them....
[snapback]178385[/snapback]
I can believe it, and that's not good. I always use the same SA. I always get one that has been around a long time and has "more clout."
Old 10-03-2005, 07:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Originally Posted by ?gent99' date='Oct 2 2005, 10:47 PM

When the parts came it, he went back and got a different SA.? The different SA refused to do the work that the ordered parts were for despite the previous SA okaying the work--his opinion that there was no problem.? Can you believe that?? He got into a shouting match and well, no longer uses them....
[snapback]178385[/snapback]
Ain't this the truth.
I've heard this too many times before. This happened to me as well, but that was not for a BMW. Still, it goes to show you how different opinions are across the board...even from the same dealership!

Also, if a Service Advisor tells you, "YES, no problem, I"ll take care of it, etc." take him on his/her word at that time. I recommend you don't wait to resolve whatever issue you're discussing with him/her because you will eventually get into this scenario, "...but you told me before that it was under warranty."
Old 10-03-2005, 07:39 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by IHC' date='Oct 1 2005, 09:05 AM
Who are the appropriate people to schmooze with hoagies, gift cards, booze, etc?? The SA?? Actual guys doing the installs/repairs?? I'm not familiar with everyone's role yet in the dealership....
[snapback]177717[/snapback]
You bring up a good point.
Do you "buddy-up" with the technician who actually works on your car and finds the upgrades and reports them to the SA or to the SA him/herself who decides whether the warranty has been voided?
Old 10-03-2005, 07:48 AM
Senior Members

Am I the only one who thinks establishing a relationship with an SA or technician is not necessarily a good thing?

I mean, going in once in a while to do an upgrade or for a regularly scheduled maintenance means you're there what, once, twice a year? I would hardly call that establishing a relationship.
However, if they are on a first-name basis with you, "Hey (insert your name here)! You're back again?" this can't possibly mean good things for your car.

Quick Reply: Warranty Repair Problems